Song For Someone - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a simple love song, classic and pure, not the kind of thing you'd expect from this band. I don't see anything wrong with it. I love the song, but I still think EBW would be the better single. I'm confused about these choices, if true, what's all the buzz about playing EBW up and down and releasing it in all kinds of formats if it isn't the single. Or is it?

... Every Breaking Wave was already released to radio.

I don't see why people get so worked up about what the next "single" will be. Everyone who wants to hear those songs, and a lot of people who don't, has heard them. No song they could release could make any dent in this record's fortunes, or the even the perception of the band. EBW or SFS or TCB would have no more or less "success" as a single than Volcano, RBW or Cedarwood. What difference does it make which of these songs gets ignored?

Once the public has tuned something out, it's all background noise. No one cares about U2's "singles" other than the hard core fans, and in their case it doesn't matter anyway.

I don't see why people get so worked up about what the next "single" will be. Everyone who wants to hear those songs, and a lot of people who don't, has heard them. No song they could release could make any dent in this record's fortunes, or the even the perception of the band. EBW or SFS or TCB would have no more or less "success" as a single than Volcano, RBW or Cedarwood. What difference does it make which of these songs gets ignored?

Once the public has tuned something out, it's all background noise. No one cares about U2's "singles" other than the hard core fans, and in their case it doesn't matter anyway.

I agree mostly but disagree with Crystal Ballroom, and not just because I really like the song.

It's different, it's catchy, and more importantly, nobody but hardcore fans had heard it yet, as it wasn't in the original album offering.

Not that I think it would be a Top 40 hit. That ship hath sailed.

But it could do well on other formats because it will make people go "wait, THAT'S U2??"

I agree mostly but disagree with Crystal Ballroom, and not just because I really like the song.

It's different, it's catchy, and more importantly, nobody but hardcore fans had heard it yet, as it wasn't in the original album offering.

Not that I think it would be a Top 40 hit. That ship hath sailed.

But it could do well on other formats because it will make people go "wait, THAT'S U2??"

Gotta agree with you here.

If Top 40 is what they keep striving for they really need to stop because it aint happening.

A song like Crystal Ballroom or Troubles might have done well in the Alternative charts and given them a new audience or at least made them successful relevant somewhere with this release.

The Crystal Ballroom should have been the 1st single, been on the album and the tour should have been named after it.

The Crystal Ballroom should have been the 1st single, been on the album and the tour should have been named after it.

pretty much gotta agree all around here with this post and with Headache. I think that while they seem to strive for radio relevance, they are in a tough spot. I love EBW, but bono's injury and lack of promo, and just scattered, odd release of it, really killed it.

I think their best songs would play better on alternative radio or Adult Alternative - like TCB, The Troubles and maybe even RBW or Volcano...

Unfortunately U2 is often a band stuck adrift in the middle of genres.
Not cool and trendy enough to be "alternative", not pop enough to be top 40, not rock enough to be on straight rock stations...

Obviously they are shooting for adult contemporary, which EBW, SFS, and California would work well on, but their approach during this whole release seems haphazard and vague. Even hard core fans have trouble knowing if something is actually a singe, or if there will be video, etc...

Guy O' has to GOOOO

have you seen the link to the cover art posted lower down? :lol:

CAveE2jUcAAx-d0.png

Ha. They should just go with this cover. Might actually create some buzz around who the song is about.

Didn't they do a similar "film yourself" thing for something on 360? Was it Unknown Caller? How many shows did that stick around for?

Well if the big song off the album didn't work - and the lead rawk single didn't - why not try something else ?

I don't know, I think there's a bit of Mercy Derangement Syndrome going on around here with The Crystal Ballroom.

Mercy, in its original incarnation, is a far better song than The Crystal Ballroom.

That being said, I'm on board with TCB being a focal point of the album because fuck at least it sounds fresh. That's one reason I was so irritated by Invisible being left off the record; it was sonically unusual for the band, even if the ingredients were familiar. I could tell that there was a producer change.

Lucifer's Hands was rightfully left off though. That song sucks.

The Crystal Ballroom is musically very interesting. It does sound fresh.

But there's always Bono. The cheap slogans are there ("every human life begins with a kiss"... sure, fine, whatever), backed up by silly rhyming, while the vocals are excruciating in those verses.

suddenly im imagining this monster of a live song with a huge bass explosion around the lines "every human life begins with a kiss"

yeah that right there is a song for someone, crystal ballroom, that is.

Mercy, in its original incarnation, is a far better song than The Crystal Ballroom.

Horribly Inaccurate Opinion Alert.

That being said, I'm on board with TCB being a focal point of the album because fuck at least it sounds fresh. That's one reason I was so irritated by Invisible being left off the record; it was sonically unusual for the band, even if the ingredients were familiar. I could tell that there was a producer change.

Lucifer's Hands was rightfully left off though. That song sucks.

Ok, you are redeemed. All is forgiven.

Sent from my ass crack

Edit: I had written a negative post about TCB, but I also hadn't listened to it in months. I just listened to it again and realized that I liked it more than I had remembered, so I'll retract the post. No need to sound like the latest Interference troll who is negative for the sake of being negative.

Although I still prefer Mercy to TCB.

The Crystal Ballroom should have been the 1st single, been on the album

It's a fine song, and I like it quite a bit, and perhaps it should have been on the record and been the first single, that was up to the band. But I think the suggestion that making TCB (or any other song on that record) the first single would have somehow changed the fortunes of SOI is a bit of wishful thinking. Of course, we'll never know, just as we'll never know whether choosing something other than Boots would have changed NLOTH's reception. It's just fanboy speculating.

That said, if U2 thinks TCB is a good “single”, there's nothing to stop them from making it one.

the tour should have been named after it.

I know there were several people here who hoped/predicted this would be the case, but I was humbled and gratified to say the tour would be called "Innocence and Experience" shortly after the record was released. Thank you.

I don't know, I think there's a bit of Mercy Derangement Syndrome going on around here with The Crystal Ballroom.

As a subscriber to the "people love Mercy because we never actually got a polished version and thus it has a mythical quality to it" theory, I will acknowledge that there maybe some of that... but the main difference is that Crystal Ballroom is actually a finished, mixed and released product; whereas Mercy was a leak, and a poor one at that, so we don't really know for sure if the song just hadn't been mastered yet or if the person who leaked it just made a piss poor transfer.

That said... I hate Mercy and I adore Crystal Ballroom.

U2 have to get over the 'old' practice of dropping a 'Rawk' song as the first single, and go with the 'best' song period. I like TCB, but I like other songs much more on the SOI. I'm interested to see what happens if SFS is the next single...:hmm:

As a subscriber to the "people love Mercy because we never actually got a polished version and thus it has a mythical quality to it" theory, I will acknowledge that there maybe some of that... but the main difference is that Crystal Ballroom is actually a finished, mixed and released product; whereas Mercy was a leak, and a poor one at that, so we don't really know for sure if the song just hadn't been mastered yet or if the person who leaked it just made a piss poor transfer.

That said... I hate Mercy and I adore Crystal Ballroom.

Yeah...the songs are apples and oranges. One is finished, the other isn't. They sound different and they are different (like you I prefer TCB). My point is that I think that at times, non-album tracks can attain a mythical "if ONLY this had been on the record" quality about them among some fans. It's a very convenient argument, actually, because there's no way to disprove it..i.e. the absence of a song made the record under perform, and its inclusion would have made it do better. The same goes for the "If only X had been the first single" speculation. The only evidence to the contrary is that U2, who presumably knows their music better and what will work than anyone here, made different decisions than bloggers on Interference would (though U2 does tend to second guess themselves quite a bit). There's also the conceit that just b/c Interference loves a song, the general public will as well. And while I like TCB, I'm not convinced it, or any song from this record, would have set the charts or social media on fire.

I'm interested to see what happens if SFS is the next single...:hmm:

Honestly....what you think would happen?

I know there were several people here who hoped/predicted this would be the case, but I was humbled and gratified to say the tour would be called "Innocence and Experience" shortly after the record was released. Thank you.

Actually, in the 'any guess what the tour will be called' thread it went down like this:

Innocence and Experience

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This would be my guess also, but it would be quite a mouthful. "U2: The Innocence and Experience Tour, Presented by Apple".

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well BVS, that makes two of us! I never said I was the only one to make the call. Though admittedly I was wrong about the Apple bit, but that was just having a bit of fun.

And if memory serves, I believe you also joined me in being right about the AB "remaster" as well! :up:

Try not to hurt yourself there. Unnecessary patting on the back can be dangerous.

All the credit goes to BVS.

Doesn't fit sonically or lyrically and The Crystal Ballroom Tour sounds like a Celine Dion-ish Vegas residency.

But mostly, horribly overrated song like Mercy.

Back
Top Bottom