Song For Someone - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The guitar solo is just plain bad though. It makes the 'solo' in Song for Someone (pardon me for somewhat staying on the topic of this thread) only the second worst guitar solo U2 ever recorded.

Really ? Solo is the one good/excellent thing about the whole song for me.

hansolo-return-ford.jpg

I listened to Mercy again yesterday and Bono's moronic "LOVE! IS! WHERE! I LIE!" slogans are just as annoying as ever (it blows my mind that this is considered to be a lost classic), but nah, I wouldn't say it's that bad.

Really ? Solo is the one good/excellent thing about the whole song for me.

Let me get this straight.

You've spent the last few years complaining about "the guitar player's" reliance on the same old sounds, and your one defense of Song For Someone is the guitar solo, which is a classic Edge riff with a heavy Crazy Tonight influence?

You complete me.

I love this song and then I cringe everytime the guitar solo kicks in. It's f-ing awful. Such a lazy effort on The Edge's part. It rivals the cheese solo on I'll Go Crazy, only worse because it ruins what could be a classic song. Hopefully in concert they play it acoustically and save us the torment of the solo. Easily one of the top 3 worst solos in the Edge's career.

I never quite understood criticism about The Edge's guitar playing, on pretty much any song. Edge does what he needs to do on a song, no more, no less. I hear a lot of criticism of his solo on MOS, for example, and that's one of my favourite bits by Mr. Evans.

Edge has a brief period in the 80's when he could be regarded as an innovative, interesting guitar player. But I've never regarded him as one of the "greats", and don't expect that from him, or any of these guys. U2 is the classic case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. The exception to this is Bono, who is a natural star and arguably one of greatest front men in the history of rock.

I never quite understood criticism about The Edge's guitar playing, on pretty much any song. Edge does what he needs to do on a song, no more, no less. I hear a lot of criticism of his solo on MOS, for example, and that's one of my favourite bits by Mr. Evans.

Edge has a brief period in the 80's when he could be regarded as an innovative, interesting guitar player. But I've never regarded him as one of the "greats", and don't expect that from him, or any of these guys. U2 is the classic case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. The exception to this is Bono, who is a natural star and arguably one of greatest front men in the history of rock.

The Edge did nothing but phone in some medicore cheese guitar solo on Song For Someone. It's really awful and almost ruins the song. He did not do what he needed to do on that song. In fact that song would be better off without hsi solo. Instead of some sublime guitar solo that compliments the song(what he usually does) he went off on some really bad pop solo better suited for some pop girl group ala Spice Girls or something. Same thing with the I'll Go Crazy guitar solo. Just two really bad efforts on his part.

I listened to Mercy again yesterday and Bono's moronic "LOVE! IS! WHERE! I LIE!" slogans are just as annoying as ever (it blows my mind that this is considered to be a lost classic), but nah, I wouldn't say it's that bad.

What lyric isn't a slogan to you?

Let me get this straight.

You've spent the last few years complaining about "the guitar player's" reliance on the same old sounds, and your one defense of Song For Someone is the guitar solo, which is a classic Edge riff with a heavy Crazy Tonight influence?

You complete me.

Not quite. The song referenced in that quote was Crystal Balroom, not Song for someone.

I rarely watch these kinds of videos, but decided to watch this one, even though it's my least favorite song on the album.

That kid is an awesome combination of adorable and badass. You go, kid.

Can I adopt him?

It's got this darker, garage rock vibe than in all honesty is probably better than U2's version, lol.

Not trying to denigrate U2's version, but it is my least favourite song on the album. It makes me wish they'd gone a bit darker with it.

Back
Top Bottom