Something to keep in mind when the new single leaks....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
isnt that kind of a slap in the face to the diehards?

the only incentive to buy this album will be the new song, and if they intentionally pick their crappiest one, thats kind of a dick move

but considering their taste in their own music, what they think is their crappiest song is probably their best, so that would be a good thing. all though none of the beach clips have really done much for me, so if its one of those i wont be expecting much anyway.

they are probably thinking that these diehards are idiots, they'll buy anything we throw out there, especially if it just contains a single song labelled 'new song', regardless of how crappy it is.

but who knows? maybe they'll surprise us this time.

sometimes I feel like they take the diehards for granted, that they'd almost rather gain a new fan rather than keep a diehard. and while that may make sense financially, it just seems wrong in every other sense.

it seems like everything they do is more catered to pleasing the casual fan than the diehards. even when they send out something for their "fanclub" members its just a cd of their same tired hits that we've heard a million times before instead of some rare goodies a diehard could appreciate.

when's the last time theyve done something where a diehard could feel like u2 was doing something for them over the casual fan?

The diehards will get this for Milan DVD songs too, not just the new song (I won't mind getting 80's songs on DVD too). Personally I liked the B-sides on the 80s Best of, or the DVD for the 90s Best of.

Besides let's just wait and hear - most of the time their one-off singles (Night and day, HMTMKMKM, Ground beneath their feet, S. thing, E. storm) are solid.

Upon thinking some more on it, they will probably go with a strong single to back up the Best of, out of the beach clips I'd lean to 404/All my life. Assuming a beach clip made it, didn't Rubin tell them to get back to him when they have great songs when he heard the demos?
I'd expect they will save the best songs for the new album.

Does the DVD from the singles mean officially no Best of 1980-1990 DVD?

Last edited:
they've never been as solid as streets, one, kite, oots etc. :drool:

the ground beneath her feet is hardly a one-off, is it? it's part of the million dollar hotel album, which is kinda a 60%-bono album.

The lyrics are credited to Salman Rushdie, and for me personally it makes it 'less of a U2 song' than any of the album tracks or tracks where u2 have written the lyrics and the music.

Back on topic, to answer the original post, I agree that they may not use the track they consider the 'best' on the new best of.Im sure 'Window' is solid though. Only a few days to go now....

U2 doesnt take die hards for granted they just have come to the understanding as have I that it is physically impossible to satisfy every die hard fan. As long as they can satisify the majority of U2 fans they have done the job.

If one were to agree with the "album-worthy" versus "compilation-worthy" distinction, then you could say that they'd be doing the diehard fans a favor by putting a lesser, non-album-worthy song on U2:18. I care much more about the next album than I do about this compilation or this new single alone. I'm buying U2:18 for the dvd first, and the single second.....whereas I'd buy the next album for it alone & it's a much more central installment in the U2 legacy than this compilation. So to me, they'd be doing us a favor by saving the greater songs for later use on an album instead of using one now.

Utoo said:
If one were to agree with the "album-worthy" versus "compilation-worthy" distinction, then you could say that they'd be doing the diehard fans a favor by putting a lesser, non-album-worthy song on U2:18. I care much more about the next album than I do about this compilation or this new single alone. I'm buying U2:18 for the dvd first, and the single second.....whereas I'd buy the next album for it alone & it's a much more central installment in the U2 legacy than this compilation. So to me, they'd be doing us a favor by saving the greater songs for later use on an album instead of using one now.
As usual, I completely concur with you. I would rather not see them waste a potential classic on a singles compilation. However, I wouldn't mind a monster single ala 'The Sweetest Thing'. I heard that song on the radio this morning, and it caught me completely by surprise. Three minutes of pop heaven. It's so sweet, in fact, that I think I now need a visit to the destist.....but oh, was it great! It's the closest U2 has ever come to creating the perfect pop song. Coke would have given anything for that song, I'm sure. I can see it now....Bono swigging back a bottle with a red and white label as the refrain, "Your the sweeeetest thiiiiing...." plays in the background.

If they, by any chance, came upon a great song in the "beach" sessions I'd rather it end up on the album than a greatest hits compilation. It would be a bad move to put something in the ranks of One or WOWY on a Best of.

A good single will do.

Utoo said:

I actually think that you're pretty spot-on. :shrug:

Think of it this way: "album-worthy" or "compilation-worthy." To me, "album-worthy" is a higher standard. I'm not expecting an album-worthy song.

We could, of course, still see this on the next album, a la Beautiful Day. But I'm just thinking this one will be more along the lines of Electrical Storm than a mind-blower like Beautiful Day.

What about Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me? I think that's a mind-blower that didn't make an album....

WOTS is a poem spoken by ADAM :up:

...the dust has settled now...i saw the sacred cow...and through the window on the sky...i realized the biggest lie...my past my present and my future... i cry...

Last edited:
is it not late october? shouldnt that video leak soon? you'd think audio would leak before video as well.

Just give it a couple of more days... ;)
The video should appear somewhere within a week if we are to believe the information sheet.

But remember, we first saw a preview of "Saints" this week, and it was shot in early October...

We just have to play the waiting game for some more time, I'm afraid.

The_Edge89 said:
Just give it a couple of more days... ;)
But remember, we first saw a preview of "Saints" this week, and it was shot in Early October.

True, but the video for Saints is just them playing in the studio with pictures from Katrina. A video like Discotechque or Lemon takes much longer to produce.

I and I in the said:

True, but the video for Saints is just them playing in the studio with pictures from Katrina. A video like Discotechque or Lemon takes much longer to produce.

Well, if I'm not mistaken the director is going to be the same one as for "Saints".
Chris Milk, I believe.
So maybe that video was also shot on the same occasion in the studio?

Back
Top Bottom