Something to add to the hype...just a thought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mofo82

Refugee
Now that there's the new photo on U2.com, it reminded me of the last time there was a photo posted while the band was recording-the aerial black and white photo taken in the church back in 2004 before HTDAAB.

I went back through our archives here and that photo was on U2.com late August '04. The biggest difference between then and now is by that time Steve Lillywhite had already mentioned the band finished their first single in June 2004 (Vertigo). However we've heard alot more potential new songs with the beach tracks and mercy than we did before Bomb.

Even though there's no word just how far the band is with album material, I sorta think there's a bit of a plan on their end to get this album out in the somewhat near future. It just seems out of nowhere for U2.com to plaster this picture if they are over a year away from release. That church photo from 2004 was just 3 months before Bomb was released.:hmm:

mofo82 said:
It just seems out of nowhere for U2.com to plaster this picture if they are over a year away from release.

Well U2.com has never felt the need to make sense before, so why start now?

I actually think Larry insisted on the second photo since he seemed to have been left out of the first, foot aside.

well i guess it all depends on how well the songs are developing, could be next couple months who knows.

I agree with the original post. I predict a new album by November 20. Heck, I'll go out on a limb and choose Tuesday November 20 as the day it's released.

Same tour pattern as last time. Tour starting in U.S. early 2008. Summer tour in Europe following, with a return to the states late in the year, prior to November.

The reason I think this, in addition to the good detective work done by the original poster, is that Bono has said he would like to tour the U.S. in the period leading up to a Presidential Election. The only way this is possible, would be with a pre-Xmas 2007 album release.

The album may be around the corner, given U2.com's usual response time to U2 news. :wink:

Does anyone have a link to the article where Bono said he'd like to tour during the Election2008?

I usually stay on top of most U2 related items, but I don't recall this tidbit.

I don't see anything coming out before 2008.

It's possible that November 2007 could be the date. :shrug: I wouldn't be all that surprised. We'll probably hear some clips this summer akin to the Miracle Drug snippets we heard in summer 2004.

BEAL said:

That's very vague. I was hoping it was something that Bono said himself, not a game of telephone.

Guess we'll just have to see.

What the? BEAL is still here? Damn. I mean, yay! :D

I have to say, I did like U2 touring in 1992 with the election year, so despite the current news of the album coming out in 2008, most likely post-election, if it was miraculously released this holiday season, I would really enjoy a 2008 election year tour (even if I technically can't afford it now).

Another thought:
In beachclip 402 - "I Believe" Bono sings something like "I was warned, oh the siren in the war..."

I'm very slow but maybe this is a song inspired by that World War one book of poetry he is reading.
:reject:

Does anyone actually have the book themselves? I thought about ordering it.

SoCalMusicLover said:
I agree with the original post. I predict a new album by November 20. Heck, I'll go out on a limb and choose Tuesday November 20 as the day it's released.

I know this quote is kind of old, but I found it kind funny. First you say Nov. 20, then you go out on a limb and say TUESDAY nov. 20.

LOL... isn't the only nov. 20th this year a tuesday?

shart1780 said:

I know this quote is kind of old, but I found it kind funny. First you say Nov. 20, then you go out on a limb and say TUESDAY nov. 20.

LOL... isn't the only nov. 20th this year a tuesday?

is for us to say "wow, he really has the balls for such a claim?"

:wink:

I think he just wanted to let us know that he'd looked at a calender and made sure that November 20th was, in fact, a Tuesday (which happens to be the release date of all new music in the United States).

I seriously doubt that there will be an album this year. Remember July 2004? That was when the band were busy doing photo shoots and other promo stuff and we all found out about it, almost as it was happening. If they were getting ready to release a new album, there would be a lot more going on. Plus, there hasn't been a leak yet. It's not official until it leaks. :wink:

for the better part of this year, our release schedule at work has included "U2 TBA (studio)" under the unconfirmed releases section. Oddly enough, this past week, a memo notes that U2 TBA now has a November release. :hmm:

Dorian Gray said:
for the better part of this year, our release schedule at work has included "U2 TBA (studio)" under the unconfirmed releases section. Oddly enough, this past week, a memo notes that U2 TBA now has a November release. :hmm:

:ohmy: This, along with a supposed new video... :hmm:

Band members and crew of band members have stated themselves that the album won't be released until 2008. Paul McGuiness has stated it's pointless to release an album any time other than 3rd quarter of the year. They are WORKING on songs, not recording them. They take a long time to work on albums, plus they have families to spend time with and lives to live.

Also, by keeping the album/touring cycle 4 years apart, you allow your demand to build back up. Dave Matthews Band, for example, is having a hard time this summer selling out one show in venues where they used to sell out 2 shows in a matter of days? Why? Because DMB tours the same venues every summer. A surpluss of supply always indicates a decline in demand. When the 2008 album comes out and the 2009 concert tickets go on sale, fans of the band will think "man, it's been 4 years since I've seen U2... that's too long!"

Point is, the album WILL NOT be released until October or November of 2008. Not before. Just wait.

The_acrobat said:
Band members and crew of band members have stated themselves that the album won't be released until 2008. Paul McGuiness has stated it's pointless to release an album any time other than 3rd quarter of the year. They are WORKING on songs, not recording them. They take a long time to work on albums, plus they have families to spend time with and lives to live.

Also, by keeping the album/touring cycle 4 years apart, you allow your demand to build back up. Dave Matthews Band, for example, is having a hard time this summer selling out one show in venues where they used to sell out 2 shows in a matter of days? Why? Because DMB tours the same venues every summer. A surpluss of supply always indicates a decline in demand. When the 2008 album comes out and the 2009 concert tickets go on sale, fans of the band will think "man, it's been 4 years since I've seen U2... that's too long!"

Point is, the album WILL NOT be released until October or November of 2008. Not before. Just wait.

Well, U2 isn't likely to have any problem filling shows if they DID tour next year. I don't think that's the issue.

My guess is that they would have had an album by this fall, but U23D will take the place of that with the film, and presumably the accompanying soundtrack. I just don't see them releasing the soundtrack and a studio album at the same time (Unless we get a Rattle and Hum kind of thing.)

That said, U2's activity in recent years would indicate that they will probably wait until Oct-Nov of next year until they release an album. It isn't IMPOSSIBLE that they would release one earlier in the 2008, but it would be a big surprise!

Back
Top Bottom