some new lanois comments on new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swan269

Rock n' Roll Doggie
this is from atu2, which got it from somewhere else. (cktv news talk)

U2 has been working on its new album since late February at its recording complex in Dublin, Ireland, where the group has once again turned to longtime producer Daniel Lanois to sit behind the sound console. Lanois recently described how the sessions were going: "It's going well. Very inventive, a lot of hopes and dreams in the room. (Singer) Bono's a hell of a fighter, and as long as he's got me in there, I'll fight along with him, you know. It's just quality, innovation, better songs, choruses that will communicate in a stadium setting...he wants it all. He wants great bass riffs. There's still mystery in the room and they really want to do their best. They want it out for the fall as well."

reads better coming from Lanois then Bono. Nothing real new just passing the word.

Swan269 said:

U2 has been working on its new album since late February at its recording complex in Dublin, Ireland, where the group has once again turned to longtime producer Daniel Lanois to sit behind the sound console. Lanois recently described how the sessions were going: "It's going well. Very inventive, a lot of hopes and dreams in the room. (Singer) Bono's a hell of a fighter, and as long as he's got me in there, I'll fight along with him, you know. It's just quality, innovation, better songs, choruses that will communicate in a stadium setting...he wants it all. He wants great bass riffs. There's still mystery in the room and they really want to do their best. They want it out for the fall as well."

reads better coming from Lanois then Bono. Nothing real new just passing the word.

:up:

thanks! well this is interesting, "communicate in a stadium setting" would hint towards a bigger production next tour :hyper:

any word on what they are doing right now? or what their schedule is like? and where's Brian Eno in all this....

From the sounds of things (previous articles too) U2 is trying for AB part 2. Innovative with a huge sound.

U2 Fans. We have only 5-6 months till we hear new music.....:ohmy:

pacemaker said:
Also from the article:

O RLY? Is this out of left field for anyone else?

I thought it strange too, but since Lanois didn't say it, I didn't put it in. U2 is always maybe doing a show for something you know?

Swan269 said:

It's just quality, innovation, better songs, choruses that will communicate in a stadium setting...he wants it all. He wants great bass riffs.

3 very exciting things about this quote. "Stadium Setting" = never got to experience a U2 Stadium show and hope they go in this direction. "Great Bass Riffs" = :drool: Adam has done some amazing work on Bass ever since POP and to showcase his abilities would be fantastic. "Innovation" = much needed (I think most of us already have discussed that one to death and agree upon it).

The whole "Better Songs" thing is a mainstay of new album hype and is ultimately vague and unsatisfying, but thanks to Lanois for keeping us on our toes; unlike people who are actually in the band. Oh well, just impatient I guess.

I'm not gonna make any assumptions from these vague quotes! Pre-conceived notions only seem to lead to disappointment.

Re: Re: some new lanois comments on new album

Rich79 said:

3 very exciting things about this quote. "Stadium Setting" =

i actually hope that doesnt go into works. i love the intimate arena setting

Me need new album

captainCaveman.jpg

As much as this is really not a very good indicator, it's hard to not get a bit excited reading this from someone not in the band.

The stadium setting part really excites me. The US has not seen U2 play in a stadium setting since Popmart, unless you count Vertigo Tour Hawaii. While the rest of the world gets U2 in outdoor stadiums every tour. I would love to see U2 in a stadium setting. Can't wait for more quotes about tour and album!

The desire for the songs to sound good in a stadium doesn't necessarily mean that the US will get stadium shows----the rest of the world usually gets stadium shows and one wouldn't want the songs to suck for the rest of the world! ;)

BonoVoxSupastar said:
:yippie: Yah, can't wait for them to repeat themselves.:|

by Achtung Baby part 2, that doesn't mean repeat themselves, it means the opposite...the idea of Achtung Baby was to break down the Joshua Tree so to speak....Achtung Baby pt. 2 just means we're in for the same idea of finding a new sound...i hope it's true :yes:

Rob33 said:
by Achtung Baby part 2, that doesn't mean repeat themselves, it means the opposite...the idea of Achtung Baby was to break down the Joshua Tree so to speak....Achtung Baby pt. 2 just means we're in for the same idea of finding a new sound...i hope it's true :yes:

:up::up: This is what people seem to miss round here!

Rob33 said:

I'm sure that's the interpretation of some...

Swan269 said:

I agree I'd rather hear things from anyone but Bono, but the news is Bono wants "choruses that will communicate in a stadium" and I just don't think that bodes well.

Stadium arrangements are much more obvious. Take any U2 song; it's dumbed down; the melody's usually simplified and stripped of subtlety and loud and soft in concert form. The strings version of "One" on Popmart, the extra codas to many songs that just work extra hard at driving home the melody for songs like "One" or "Mysterious Ways" or "With or Without You". Many of our favorites are pushed to the sidelines because idiot bellweather fans throw a fuss (I have nothing against bellweather fans, just those who throw a fuss because U2 doesn't play a hit they've heard a million times over the radio).

Bono's gonna screw this up by wanting obvious bigness again like he has all this decade. He really needs help getting over his insecurities over unpopularity because, in recent years, it has combined with age to make U2's music ultra safe and obvious from the first note.

The other band members like The Edge, and Eno and Lanois had better fight back because Bono is gonna kill the originality behind this album. He's gonna wanna be the Beatles or some typical crap like we've mostly had this decade.

I'm worried. Even if Bono of the '80s and early '90s wanted to be big, it was never at the price of creativity and artistic integrity. The new Bono is a sellout. I hope I'm wrong, but his track record hasn't been good.

Re: Re: some new lanois comments on new album

Muldfeld said:
I agree I'd rather hear things from anyone but Bono, but the news is Bono wants "choruses that will communicate in a stadium" and I just don't think that bodes well.

... but haven't U2 always had big choruses? That's what they do best - big, ringing anthems that are custom-made for arenas, stadiums, and a bazillion fans shouting along with them.

Back
Top Bottom