SOI - I finally figured out what's wrong with it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Lemonseed

The Fly
I've had SOI on high repeat ever since it's release. I think it's their strongest album since... 2000 at least.

That being said, something has always bothered me about, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Finally, it hit me!

There are no iconic Edge hooks.

Think about it-- all the greatest U2 songs not only have strong melodies (of which SOI is refreshingly good!), but also a clutch of musical hooks that draw you in.

Just think about Achtung Baby:
Zoo Station, EBTTRT, One, UTEOFW, The Fly, MW, UV... all of them have some front and center guitar line that is quite catchy.

Now quick, name one from SOI!

The musical hook king of SOI, by far, is Adam. All the riffs--namely, Volcano and TIWYCRMN.

Nothing from the Edge sticks out (a couple of solos aside).

Your thoughts?

Thank you for discovering this. Now we can put this "SOI is a top 5 U2 album" garbage to bed.

In all seriousness, I agree. It's one of Edge's most boring albums. Raised By Wolves sounds good, but that's about it.

Though I hate threads like this, I happen to agree with the concept, even if it doesn't stop me from loving the album regardless.

With that said, I think his guitar playing on the album as a whole is some of the best in his career. Kind of a common theme though that while the album is very good and very consistent, it doesn't have some of the highs that U2's all-time classics have. Not a huge deal breaker for me personally. I was really hoping for a strong album this time around and they delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

With that said, I think his guitar playing on the album as a whole is some of the best in his career.

:slant:

Edge has always been the innovative vehicle for the rest of the band and once he grew content with being the delay-toting caricature people (who dislike U2) peg him to be, the band's music grew less interesting.

Man, on Pop, you never knew what guitar sound he was going to pull out next. Every track is driven by a different effect and it's exhilarating. The highlight of SOI is when he sounds like early 80s Edge.

Mikal, I agree, I still enjoy the album, and they delivered a very engaging, fresh album. Couldn't have asked more... except Edge has nothing that sticks with me from it.

His playing, when you focus on it, is quite good, but again, there are just no guitar hooks. It is missing something.

Adam, on the other hand, killed it (in a good way). As did Bono.

I think you are partly right about The Edge, but I don´t think it is wrong decision for the the record.
Since Pop he got a bit lazy in this area and he became satisfied with what he had already achieved, he isn´t so creative with his guitar hooks/sounds anymore, So when he focuses more on the songwriting and other aspects, it is like he tries to experiment in new direction, which is perfectly fine.

I think Edge's playing this time around (in terms of the album as a whole rather than individual songs) is the best it's been since ATYCLB, but I do also wish he would try to be a bit more adventurous. I wish that from all of them though, so take that for what it's worth.

I also agree that Adam is by far the star of the show on SOI. He crushed it.

I'm guessing you hate Zooropa as well?

I think Edge finally nailed the "rock" riff he's been trying to make on the last few albums, I also think there's a lot subtle touches throughout the album that are magic.

Mikal, I agree, I still enjoy the album, and they delivered a very engaging, fresh album. Couldn't have asked more... except Edge has nothing that sticks with me from it.

His playing, when you focus on it, is quite good, but again, there are just no guitar hooks. It is missing something.

Adam, on the other hand, killed it (in a good way). As did Bono.

Very true about Adam. I have a friend who plays bass that said he actually appreciates how the Edge showed restraint at times while Adam played a killer bass part. Iris is a fantastic example.

He would have if Invisible was on it.

That said, the lack of hooky riffs doesn't make me appreciate the album any more or less. It all comes down to what's good for the songs. An example of Edge overdoing a riff - "Magnificent."

Yeah, "Magnificent" is a good example of Edge doing an Edge-like riff and sounding too much like himself.

I think Edge is just less into being "cutting edge" (pun fully intended) and is more into songwriting and songcraft now. Musicians tend to do this as they get a bit older. A guitar-band doesn't necessarily need catchy guitar-riffs to make a great album anyway.

I personally like the stripped, spacious, lean sound of SOI a lot. The songs aren't the best they've ever done, but they're a hell of a lot better than NLOTH, and the 'sound' of the record is the best since Zooropa.

Some pretty crunchy riffing on 'The Miracle', though.

Except from Achtung none of their 90s albums relied on iconic Edge hooks.
Didn't hurt them then either.

Neither does Zooropa, really, and it's still a great album.

I think his guitar work on Reach Me is incredible by the way, even if it isn't 'iconic'

one of my favorite u2 song is "So Cruel" and there is hardly any edge on it..even a song like "stay, far away so close" also one of my fave and u2's best song ever.. think it has to do with song writing and less with edge trying to play the guitar..in the end they just dont have great songs anymore ..good ya ..but not great..

I think that's what is amazing about this album for me. There is no killer "classic riff" Edge guitar in any song and yet I still love most of this album.

Salome,
I disagree, but perhaps I need to clarify my comment.
Zooropa, Numb, Lemon - all of these have iconic, incredible guitar parts, things you listen to the song to hear.
Discotecque, Do You Feel, Gone, Playboy likewise.

All of those songs are based around a mega guitar part (that isn't a solo).

I listen to music first, then lyrics. Music hooks get me. It's what I sing and what I'm aiming for when I turn a song on.

My argeement in SOI, I suppose, is that the musical hooks are somewhat lacking.

I love the album, and several of Adam's hooks are nice--but that's about it.

Luckily Bono's killer lyrics and melodies largely make up for it, and the song craft is excellent.

As other people have mentioned, many SOI songs feel more like a musical pilaf, upon which the delightfully flavored singing can rest. They don't seem like coequals on this album.

Cosmo,
I hadn't considered that. I can value the album for that too! Thanks. I certainly do keep coming back to SOI, and I'm not sure why. I still feel "something's lacking" but at the same time, I've been eating the album up. Hmm...

They don't seem like coequals on this album.

i disagree... the first time i listened to the album, what struck me the most was the feeling that they had all equally upped their game and were on fighting form, no weak link, and as a result the 4 of them were nicely balanced... i still think that... and i listen to the album a lot still... still love it - definitely the strongest thing since ATYCLB at least (and i love that album)

I think that's what is amazing about this album for me. There is no killer "classic riff" Edge guitar in any song and yet I still love most of this album.

Yeah, and I'd say there's still some new/fresh ground for him. The guitar during the chorus of Volcano and Raped By Wolves. But overall I still agree with the OP. Nothing that would define the Edge's career but very strong throughout the album.

Salome,

Zooropa, Numb, Lemon - all of these have iconic, incredible guitar parts, things you listen to

Numb and Lemon? Iconic guitar? These songs are not remembered because of iconic guitar parts, Zooropa is probably the only song on that album that has anything close to an iconic guitar part.

Lemon may not be "iconic" (whatever that means), but it has one of the most impressive guitar tones Edge came up with.

Zooropa, Stay and Dirty Day all have very memorable guitar parts.

Discotheque has one of Edge's catchiest riffs, but most Pop songs have very, very memorable guitar parts.

This new one... eh. Some great work on the final three songs but nothing nearly as memorable.

There are no iconic Edge hooks.

Salome,
Zooropa, Numb, Lemon - all of these have iconic, incredible guitar parts, things you listen to the song to hear.
Discotecque, Do You Feel, Gone, Playboy likewise.

All of those songs are based around a mega guitar part (that isn't a solo).

Maybe we disagree on the terms "iconic" and/or "hook".
Then again, if you accuse Playboy Mansion on having an incredible guitar part it might be that we also disagree on the terms "incredible" and "guitar".

Numb and Lemon? Iconic guitar? These songs are not remembered because of iconic guitar parts, Zooropa is probably the only song on that album that has anything close to an iconic guitar part.
Indeed.

Numb's opening riff is a guitar line. I turn that song on for the catharsis of hearing that riff. Likewise, in Lemon, when that shimmer guitar line come in, I melt.

Not catchy in the traditional definition perhaps, but the sound itself is the hook, and in both cases, the sound is showcased.

Numb's opening riff is a guitar line. I turn that song on for the catharsis of hearing that riff. Likewise, in Lemon, when that shimmer guitar line come in, I melt.

Not catchy in the traditional definition perhaps, but the sound itself is the hook, and in both cases, the sound is showcased.

Yeah, I remember when Numb first came out, I spent a lot of time tweaking my Zoom Multi-Effects pedal to sound just like that tone.

I'm guessing you hate Zooropa as well?

I think Edge finally nailed the "rock" riff he's been trying to make on the last few albums, I also think there's a lot subtle touches throughout the album that are magic.

:up::up::up:

Oh yes.

Back
Top Bottom