SOI Gets Only 1 Grammy Nomination?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mobonofo

Acrobat
I really can't believe U2 are only nominated in one category for the Grammys. Here's a summary:

Album Of The Year:
Morning Phase — Beck
Beyoncé — Beyoncé
X — Ed Sheeran
In The Lonely Hour — Sam Smith
Girl — Pharrell Williams

Record Of The Year:
"Fancy" — Iggy Azalea Featuring Charli XCX
"Chandelier" — Sia
"Stay With Me" (Darkchild Version) — Sam Smith
"Shake It Off" — Taylor Swift
"All About That Bass" — Meghan Trainor

Song Of The Year:
"All About That Bass" — Kevin Kadish & Meghan Trainor, songwriters (Meghan Trainor)
"Chandelier" — Sia Furler & Jesse Shatkin, songwriters (Sia)
"Shake It Off" — Max Martin, Shellback & Taylor Swift, songwriters (Taylor Swift)
"Stay With Me" (Darkchild Version) — James Napier, William Phillips & Sam Smith, songwriters (Sam Smith)
"Take Me To Church" — Andrew Hozier-Byrne, songwriter (Hozier)

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, the nominees are "Fancy" by Iggy Azalea Featuring Charli XCX; "A Sky Full Of Stars" by Coldplay; "Say Something" by A Great Big World With Christina Aguilera; "Bang Bang" by Jessie J, Ariana Grande & Nicki Minaj; and "Dark Horse" by Katy Perry Featuring Juicy J.

Best Rock Performance "Gimme Something Good" by Ryan Adams; "Do I Wanna Know?" by Arctic Monkeys; "Blue Moon" by Beck; "Fever" by the Black Keys; and "Lazaretto" by Jack White.

Best Alternative Music Album, This Is All Yours by Alt-J; Reflektor by Arcade Fire; Melophobia by Cage The Elephant; St. Vincent by St. Vincent; and Lazaretto by Jack White.

Best Rock Album - Ryan Adams - Ryan Adams,Beck - Morning Phase,Turn Blue - The Black Keys,Hypnotic Eye Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers,Songs Of Innocence - U2

Other categories they lost out on:

Best Rock Song
Best Album Notes

Are you that out of touch with the Grammys and U2's current cultural standing that this is surprising?

I consider it a minor miracle they got the one nomination.

Are you that out of touch with the Grammys and U2's current cultural standing that this is surprising?

I consider it a minor miracle they got the one nomination.

This

I was pleased it got one. Fingers crossed they will win it.

Nloth didnt get any did it? So its an improvement at that album

Honestly, not the worst batch of AOTY noms I've seen. Beck and Beyonce's albums are great and Pharrel's is listenable.

Record of the Year and Song of the Year are both absolutely disgusting. A lot of talentless scum up in there.

Not Hozier I think. He's fantastic.

Hozier is...OK. Extremely OK. Take Me to Church is nowhere near the best song of the year though. There are better songs on SOI and I don't even like SOI.

Does the Academy turn the radio on for an hour, skim metacritic for the alternative picks and then throw a list together?

Last edited:
Of course the greatest band of all time are likely to make a record worthy of Grammy nominations. Should this really surprise anyone?

I still remember U2 got probably 150 grammys for ATYCLB, a record that was a radio pop kids pleasing sellout, so what it´s worth, those grammys:wave:

When they were given their glut of Grammys for Bomb, they were really being rewarded for a long and successful career. And when they didn't win any for NLOTH, the message seemed to be: "We've already given you the recognition you deserved. Now can you kindly fuck off?" Add to that the beating they've taken over the last few months, and I'm amazed they even got one nomination. There will actually be quite a few people who'll be tuning in just to see that they don't win. Maybe that was the plan...

When they were given their glut of Grammys for Bomb, they were really being rewarded for a long and successful career. And when they didn't win any for NLOTH, the message seemed to be: "We've already given you the recognition you deserved. Now can you kindly fuck off?"

This was my reading aswell.
Word for word.
:up:

When they were given their glut of Grammys for Bomb, they were really being rewarded for a long and successful career. And when they didn't win any for NLOTH, the message seemed to be: "We've already given you the recognition you deserved. Now can you kindly fuck off?" Add to that the beating they've taken over the last few months, and I'm amazed they even got one nomination. There will actually be quite a few people who'll be tuning in just to see that they don't win. Maybe that was the plan...
Yeah, good point.

U2 have already won 2 best album Grammy awards, who cares?

Them winning a shitload of trophies is not going to improve their legacy or their image. It's just going to make people groan.

The only thing they can do to avoid becoming a greatest hits live act, is to go away and dream it up again, and come back with a new story to tell, and put to bed, for once and for all, this biggest band in the world nonsense. If they want to be treated like a new, relevant band, then they need to stop being U2. Difficult, I know. Paradoxical. But it's the truth.

The only thing they can do to avoid becoming a greatest hits live act, is to go away and dream it up again, and come back with a new story to tell, and put to bed, for once and for all, this biggest band in the world nonsense. If they want to be treated like a new, relevant band, then they need to stop being U2. Difficult, I know. Paradoxical. But it's the truth.

This is actually what they just did with their last record, if you haven´t noticed. :wave:

Back
Top Bottom