SOI Gets Only 1 Grammy Nomination?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No brit award nomination for u2 this year. They can only be up for best international group though!

The best song of U2's career is a personal opinion.

The biggest song of their career is not. It was Vertigo, like it or not.

Really? Sales maybe, but definitely not the biggest of their career in terms of importance.

WOWY, Pride, ISHFWILF, One and Beautiful Day.

Have to go with this comment here, and the single most important song for U2 in the last decade - if not 2 decades - is indeed Beautiful Day. You might argue that it's the single that rescued them from chart oblivion, really.

Biggest as far as BIGGEST.

Hmm. What are we basing this off of? Sales? Critical acclaim? I'm not trying to be contrary, I'm genuinely interested in the metric being used here, because I've yet to hear anyone really say that it's the biggest U2 song of all time. I hear that about One, Still Haven't.., WOWY, Beautiful Day...but not Vertigo.

I wonder, would you expect B Day to be so huge if it came out today? There is something special about it, but it is a bit problematic, it has a very unremarkable intro and first verse and moreover even if the song works it is still evident it is a mish-mash of 4 ideas put together. Even if I consider it to be one of the better moments of ATYCLBI´m still surprised it got so huge response from the public.

I wonder, would you expect B Day to be so huge if it came out today? There is something special about it, but it is a bit problematic, it has a very unremarkable intro and first verse and moreover even if the song works it is still evident it is a mish-mash of 4 ideas put together. Even if I consider it to be one of the better moments of ATYCLBI´m still surprised it got so huge response from the public.

That intro is sublime, and clever too. It starts out like it's going in a club direction and instead becomes a rock anthem. When I first heard the song driving in my car, I didn't think it was U2 until Bono started singing. Compare that with The Miracle's "OOOOwwwooooahhhwoowoosooahhh" intro...hmmm I wonder who that could be...

You're fucking nuts

Sent from my ass crack

SOI gets only one Grammy nomination? Well, it's not a very good album, is it?

For what it's worth, I do think they will get more nominations next year with Every Breaking Wave and possibly other singles.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Hmm. What are we basing this off of? Sales? Critical acclaim? I'm not trying to be contrary, I'm genuinely interested in the metric being used here, because I've yet to hear anyone really say that it's the biggest U2 song of all time. I hear that about One, Still Haven't.., WOWY, Beautiful Day...but not Vertigo.

If digital downloads counted it would have been a #1 hit across the globe for weeks, at a period in time where that wasn't exactly an easy thing for an aging rock band to do. The song was HUGE when it was released.

The other songs you've mentioned have grown as time goes by, whereas Vertigo got played out. But at the time of release no U2 song ever was bigger.

If digital downloads counted it would have been a #1 hit across the globe for weeks, at a period in time where that wasn't exactly an easy thing for an aging rock band to do. The song was HUGE when it was released.

The other songs you've mentioned have grown as time goes by, whereas Vertigo got played out. But at the time of release no U2 song ever was bigger.

I think the commonly held belief is that if digital downloads had counted in the Billboard ratings, it would have performed better on Billboard, which is just the US, not globally. I'm not sure if the other charts around the globe were tracking digital and/or if it would have made much more difference to it's performance.

If we take it in totality worldwide by the following 3 metrics: sales, chart success and critical acclaim, Beautiful Day was bigger than Vertigo for U2. BD charted higher, in more countries, and sold more. It's also more widely regarded from reviews that I've read.

On that Year End Chart for the World Charts, Vertigo ended 22 in 2004 and then 35 in 2005 while Beautiful Day was 23 in 2000. In terms of pure statistics they are pretty similar and that isn't inclusive of the downloads Vertigo received.

The ipod team up made that song a monster for the time period. This doesn't mean it is as good or as important as Beautiful Day but it certainly was as, if not more, prolific.

Sent from down the rabbit hole

I don't even care for the Grammys, as long as U2 or AC/DC or those cool bands are going to play on Grammys, that's okay. I mean, many of my fav. albums like Achtung Baby, Superunknown, or even Nevermind didn't get any awards from Grammys, so

U2 won more then there fair share of Grammy's mostly on what I would argue is some of their weaker material outside of The Joshua Tree. It will be hard for them to win any Grammy's from now on but the old U2 from the 80s wouldn't have cared about that hell they likely wouldn't even show up.

So... Does anyone think they can win? Beck is performing with Chris Martin, should we assume Beck has it in the bag?

Only my opinion but U2 will preform every breaking wave.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It is pretty much 100 percent certain that Beck will win Rock album even though as has been said I don't agree that it is rock in any way shape or form.

Back
Top Bottom