SOI autopsy - what went wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
giphy.gif

LA LA LA LA nothing was wrong everything was wonderful nobody complained u2 is the greatest at everything they are infallible LA LA LA LA

SOI's autopsy is telling us it suffered from no-risk disease. No creative risk in the music whatsoever. And the bungled release came in part from abating the financial risk of album sales. I've got a much longer explanation of everything but I'm debating if I really want to go there. Bottom line is - this U2 has no balls (especially not after NLOTH flopped) and therefore, have become far too risk-averse to be interesting. The change in songwriting approach also prevents much of that old U2 magic from ever showing its head again.

Ooops, sounds like you haven´t heard the album yet or confused it with ATYCLB or Atomic Bomb :lol:

Ok, fuck it. I'll bite.

Like others have said, their release method could have been handled differently. :wink:

Perfect world, U2 puts out the album shortly after Invisible was released as a single and keep riding that wave they had going, but that didn't happen. The delay sucked, but I feel it was for the best only because I really dig SOI and I feel its their most complete album since Achtung Baby. So if going back and tweaking stuff resulted in this album, that's cool with me.

I think it's a great album and it deserves better. I suppose many others do as well; which is why many here are concerned and are voicing it. A lot of these bad decisions could have been avoided and thought through with a little more foresight.

Why U2 would be so cautious and quality-focused making this album and then seem to throw caution to the wind reeks of misplaced trust. I think Guy O needs to go. He's either just a yes-man to Bono (which Paul McGuiness was not) or just too ill-equipped to manage a rock band like U2. I knew this when that stupid album cover was revealed and it looked like a rejected photo from one of Madonna's 90's efforts to drum up "controversy," which it didn't, but it surely didn't help sales. I've had the album sitting out or been in stores and people have laughed at the sight of that cover or said "gross" every time. If you're trying to appeal to the masses with the Apple stunt, pick a less polarizing cover.

Before you say it was free so that's why no one bought it, you'd think if people liked what they were getting and the marketing was truly effective, U2 would have more than 600,000 worldwide sales thus far, considering 80,000,000 were exposed to it and a bonus disc was available with songs like "The Crystal Ballroom." But the whole thing came off as desperate and that'll get you every time.

The public's complaints about the release method are complete and utter hypocritical bullshit. Free album pushed onto your iTunes = invasion of privacy. Fuck off.

The way the public embraces and spreads album leaks (and I'm no saint here, believe me) is WAY more intrusive and damaging. Frankly it's insulting to the artists, who may be forced to foist something that wasn't complete (either the music or the whole package) at a time when they weren't prepared to do so. So many examples, but I'll point you to The Salome Outtakes or more recently, and perhaps more presciently, to the latest scramble Bjork had to make when her new album leaked.

Talk about an invasion of privacy...

U2 tried something and people didn't like it because most people are jerks. So what. Here's a news flash- most people don't even like albums any more. Woulda been better received if they pushed a single and not the whole shebang onto people. Lesson learned.

Nothing went wrong apart from the time gap between NLOTH and SOI.....

SOI is beautiful, listening to it every day many times, never getting tired of it, I'm really impressed. Can't wait to see these songs live, it will give them another life, even more beautiful :heart:

The public's complaints about the release method are complete and utter hypocritical bullshit. Free album pushed onto your iTunes = invasion of privacy. Fuck off.

The way the public embraces and spreads album leaks (and I'm no saint here, believe me) is WAY more intrusive and damaging. Frankly it's insulting to the artists, who may be forced to foist something that wasn't complete (either the music or the whole package) at a time when they weren't prepared to do so. So many examples, but I'll point you to The Salome Outtakes or more recently, and perhaps more presciently, to the latest scramble Bjork had to make when her new album leaked.

Talk about an invasion of privacy...

U2 tried something and people didn't like it because most people are jerks. So what. Here's a news flash- most people don't even like albums any more. Woulda been better received if they pushed a single and not the whole shebang onto people. Lesson learned.

AMEN :applaud:

What went 'wrong' is that after the (let's call it) mediocre response to No Line they needed a new 'Beautiful Day' to renew interest in the band.
That didn't happen.

Apparently lightning doesn't strike 3 times.

What went wrong is that U2 had high expectations that did not get met with this album. Perhaps it finally makes them realise they are never going to be hip and hot with the pop kids again... or they're desperately going to keep trying and losing touch with their real fan base.

Several things went wrong.

1 - Single choic.: Miracle, while being an interesting tune, is not a hit. In the album, they have California, Reach me Now or Crystal Ballroom with real potential to be radio hits, even in this time where rock music is almost forgotten.

2 - the song list. Crystal Ballroom is not even part of the "main" album!!!

3 - The release. It's too commercial to create buzz. A paradox in modern times, but music listeners and critics don't like this kind of moves, at all.

3 - The promotion. This is where Oseary starts to destroy all hopes for this very good album. Playing in TV shows is no longer news, the only thing that really makes buzz is to play live gigs. 2 or 3 TV shows it's OK, but they need more. Why haven't they done something as they have done for ATYCLB? That sort of gigs attract social buzz, youtube viewers, news on the music medias, etc.

4 - Invisible. They didn't followed a certain buzz that was starting to build up when Invisible was released.
5 - accoustic versions. Absolute crap, perhaps with the exception of EBW. Crap, crap, crap. I don't even understand why the band keeps saying this album is the kind of album to be played accoustic. Accoustic is not U2.

6 - Bono. Yeap, that hurt.

Overall, they released a fantastic album (probably the first since Pop where I don't skip any track when listening), that is now their most irrelevant record to date. Just hoping they fix things with the tour, and that they don't postpone SOE and don't commit the same errors again. Because the world deserves to listen U2, and U2 really deserve to be listened.

Why U2 would be so cautious and quality-focused making this album and then seem to throw caution to the wind reeks of misplaced trust. I think Guy O needs to go. He's either just a yes-man to Bono (which Paul McGuiness was not) or just too ill-equipped to manage a rock band like U2. I knew this when that stupid album cover was revealed and it looked like a rejected photo from one of Madonna's 90's efforts to drum up "controversy," which it didn't, but it surely didn't help sales. I've had the album sitting out or been in stores and people have laughed at the sight of that cover or said "gross" every time. If you're trying to appeal to the masses with the Apple stunt, pick a less polarizing cover.

I agree that Oseary doesn't seem to be the right Guy for them (excuse terrible pun). It wouldn't surprise me if he suggested U2 pick a more "risque" cover to drum up a little extra controversy/publicity. Madonna would've gotten away with a cover like that, and she probably would've taken a lot less heat for pushing her new album on every iTunes account. Because stunts like that are expected of her. Not of U2. The public didn't seem to know where they stood with U2 anymore.

I don't think any of us has any clue what the exact influence of Oseary is on the band, so we have no way of determining what his part in the promotion fiasco was. It'd be a soothing thought for some to blame the new manager, but really, it might have been just the four lads themselves deciding on this trainwreck.

Good to see some positivity in this thread. I love this place but man has it been a drag to discuss this album.

Good to see some positivity in this thread. I love this place but man has it been a drag to discuss this album.

It's a really mediocre album, a factor whose effects I believe Interference somewhat underestimates.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's a really mediocre album, a factor whose effects I believe Interference somewhat underestimates.

Yep. Had the music really taken off, the release method might not have mattered quite as much. People still would have complained, to be sure, but at least if the music was something really special there might have been something more than just lingering negativity after the initial backlash died down.

Or maybe people just, I don't know, like the album?

I agree that it shouldn't always be positive thoughts here (as that would get boring pretty quickly), but it's not like the people on here just like everything the band releases either. I see plenty of opinions on both sides of any given issue on here.

Yep, I agree. There's a lot of Debbie Downers here. If Bono didn't get injured, we would have definitely seen more SOI promotion. That would have given people more of an opportunity to hear the new stuff performed live. But, alas that didn't happen.

My gut tells me that when Bono returns to action and U2 can get out there and promote their "new" album, they'll quickly make up for lost time. Perhaps an SNL appearance before that show goes into Summer reruns. I'd love to see a skit of U2 charging the Weekend Update set and beating the shit out of the guy who had to spout that lame U2 album release joke.

Why is it hard for some to grasp the concepts of perception vs reality?

Whether or not you believe the release method SHOULD have been a big deal to many is irrelevant. It was. That's all that matters.

It was, as Bono alluded, an idea crafted out of good intent with a dash of megalomania. It backfired. Whether those who bitched and whined about it, and made U2 into a laughing stock SHOULD have done so doesn't matter. They did. They were. It happened.

It may be a stupid reason why the album failed, but it's a giant reason none the less.

i think pushing the album sets it up for failure.

they dramatically underestimated the notion of choice when it comes to how we enjoy what we consume. the album could have been Joshua Tree and there would have been people talking about how awful it was because they didn't have the chance to discover it for themselves.

what sells music more than "buzz," or what is really "buzz," is word-of-mouth -- every December i read NPR's round up of the best albums of the year and then i investiate them on my own. i'm simply not the music consumer i was 15 years ago and i need help staying current. i'll admit it. i'm no longer cool. but the important thing that happens is that i take the advice of a trusted source (NPR, certain people in here, other friends) and then investigate on my own and decide whether or not to pursue the album, which usually means i'll like the album more because i did some work on my end.

i have several friends -- one of whom was a fan back to 1981 -- who were all U2 fans and now refer to them as a "once great band." while we can debate the quality of SOI, my gut tells me that the pushing of the album set the band up for failure because if it wasn't as good as the pinnacle of their past work (it isn't) then it's a disappointment.

maybe this Apple thing really wasn't well thought it. but given the fact that the album wasn't done until days (hours?) before the release, and it seems to have imposed the deadline the band needed, maybe it all happened far too quickly in August 2014. it was innovative and new (a step beyond Beyonce), and these repercussions are now only known in hindsight.

the best thing they could do would be to release SOE before the tour, or during the tour, and it better be good. and it better not just appear in my iTunes.

Or maybe people just, I don't know, like the album?

I agree that it shouldn't always be positive thoughts here (as that would get boring pretty quickly), but it's not like the people on here just like everything the band releases either. I see plenty of opinions on both sides of any given issue on here.

This. I love how many opinions continue to be stated as facts around here.

Even the whole "the album was a failure" argument is not a fact whatsoever. It's all about perspective. I wouldn't doubt that U2 looks at this album as a success based on the fact alone that it reached millions of more people than NLOTH ever did.

I don't personally look at it as a failure whatsoever because:

A: I think the reward of the album release still outweighed the risk. Sure, they got some bad press out of it, but it's not nearly as bad as the press Kanye received in the last week. That's where my overdramatizing comment came in. Some people around here are acting like U2 joined ISIS or something. Again, yeah, Interference.

B: I think the album is great. I rank it around 7 or 8 on my list which is saying a lot because my top 6 (Zooropa, AB, Pop, JT, TUF, and Boy) are untouchable.

And to Headache's point about perception vs reality, I don't think that's an issue at all. I'm just arguing from a different percpective and plus, I wasn't affected by the negativity on Twitter whatsoever. I looked at that population as a group of people I don't really care to associate with anyway. Plus, a lot of them ended up looking bad in the end (see the Conan skit for example).

I have to disagree with you here.

While i think the album is somewhat safe. I do think that songs like RBW, SLABT, Iris, The Troubles, and even California fresh and non-formulaic. I also think that EBW is a classic U2 song.

One thing I've noticed by being a long time fan, is that public perception at the very outset of their releases trumps all.

Rattle and Hum is always thought of as a poor album and a bit of a failure because critics hit them pretty hard around that time.

Achtung Baby was treated with high anticipation and people rallied around them again.

Pop was panned because of the poor release / ABC special, Discoteque lead single, KMART etc... The average music fan, or fairweather U2 fan automatically thinks it's a weak album when in fact it is, IMHO one of their greatest. Gone, Please, Mofo, LNOE, WUDM, STATS, DYFL, etc... I will listen to those ANY day over most of their other material. But public perception set by critics and media marred the album.

ATYCLB was again heralded as the bands return, everyone was waiting with open arms and it was a huge success. Why? Not really the music. Stuck? NY?, Wild Honey?, POE??, Grace??? I mean that is mediocre. Kite is outstanding, BD was a great song, WILATW is cool. But this is not a stronger album than POP, but the set-up was one that led the public to embrace it.

I think SOI is a great album. But I do think the release, followed by Bono's accident are much larger factors than the music.

My post calling SOI mediocre was partially crafted as an attempt at humor after mikal's post talking about positivity towards the album.

But I do think that the album is deeply mediocre, and by far one of U2's worst. That is, of course, my subjective opinion. However, as others have pointed to, I do think there's something about the music that hurt this album. Its promotional failure wasn't entirely cause by the Apple disaster or the bike disaster. There really aren't any songs on that album that I can imagine grabbing the public's feelings. I mean, EBW is fine, I guess, but I honestly don't believe it grabbing enough to become a hit. We can joke about about dad rock or whatever, but The Miracle (which I actually like) is nowhere near catchy or interesting or emotionally-grabbing enough to be a hit. What's left? California? Decent song, but not gonna be a hit. When I see people claim that Reach Me Now could be a hit, I know that we're in self-delusion territory (although perhaps my perspective is hurt by the fact that I haven't listened to Reach Me Now in a quarter of a year, and I can't really remember what it sounds like).

You may think that SOI is a good collection of songs or not. However, I do think that it's hard to argue with what is common sentiment on this forum: the album, which being quite consistent, really lacks stand-out songs. And without stand-out songs, an album will not be a major hit.

Back
Top Bottom