SOE Songs Live - How Do They Sound? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2018, 10:42 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:15 PM
SOE Songs Live - How Do They Sound?

What are your thoughts on how these new songs are sounding so far on the tour? Have they met your expectations?

For mine, I think The Blackout, Love is Bigger, and now Red Flag Day actually surpassed my expectations.

dan_smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:14 PM   #2
Vocal parasite

The Best Thing sounds fucking awful. The transition from Acrobat is one of the clumsiest things U2 have attempted. It's whiplash in setlist form.

Most of the others sound pretty decent. Love Is Bigger is fantastic as an encore number.

I'm not entirely sure Lights of Home is holding its own. Won't be surprised if it gets rotated out of the set some way down the track.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:59 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:15 AM
I already said this in another thread, but You’re the Best Thing About Me got the Every Breaking Wave treatment, and I’m not happy about that. They nailed the electric version after a few shows on last year’s tour, a shame they didn’t continue with it.

Love is Bigger is the standout, at the moment - perfect setlist placement and although I haven’t listened to it in person, it’s sounding really good.
prbiker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:54 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I'm not entirely sure Lights of Home is holding its own. Won't be surprised if it gets rotated out of the set some way down the track.

Yeaaaah, I was not super impressed with Lights of Home either show I was at.
TinKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:00 AM   #5
Refugee

Love is All We Have Left - Dope opener. Understated.

The Blackout - I was meh on the album version, but the live version is pretty great. I love the screen visuals, and the energy. Good shit.

Lights of Home - Not sure why this isn't clicking. Fine, passable, but not a monster like it could be.

Red Flag Day - Sounds great. You can tell the band enjoyed playing it as well.

Best Thing - Not as awful as some are making out to be, but definitely does not belong on the setlist in this version, period.

Get Out Of Your Own Way - Middling. Fine.

American Soul - Insanely fun. Call me crazy, but maybe my favorite live SoE song?

Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way - Also might be my favorite new song live. Great energy, sounds great. Dig it

13 - Also also might be my favorite new song live. I do wish they'd close the main set out with it, so people are more impacted rather than confused. Hard to mess up since it's understated, but I like the imagery, and you can tell it really means something to Bono.
TinKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:06 AM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

I'll say it again about Lights of Home: it's plodding. It doesn't have enough drive for a song in the #2 slot. The drama of it works, but it's being placed there for thematics and sonically it doesn't fit. Same problem I have with it on the album. Every Breaking Wave doesn't belong in that spot either.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:09 AM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 01:15 PM
Just heard the IEM bootleg from St. Louis and Lights of Home is underwhelming... they must drop the strings version and actually play the song.
trainmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:15 AM   #8
Vocal parasite

Simply move Lights of Home to a mid-set spot, basically where Red Flag Day was played, and it probably wouldn't stick out so much.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:42 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKnight View Post
Love is All We Have Left - Dope opener. Understated.

The Blackout - I was meh on the album version, but the live version is pretty great. I love the screen visuals, and the energy. Good shit.

Lights of Home - Not sure why this isn't clicking. Fine, passable, but not a monster like it could be.

Red Flag Day - Sounds great. You can tell the band enjoyed playing it as well.

Best Thing - Not as awful as some are making out to be, but definitely does not belong on the setlist in this version, period.

Get Out Of Your Own Way - Middling. Fine.

American Soul - Insanely fun. Call me crazy, but maybe my favorite live SoE song?

Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way - Also might be my favorite new song live. Great energy, sounds great. Dig it

13 - Also also might be my favorite new song live. I do wish they'd close the main set out with it, so people are more impacted rather than confused. Hard to mess up since it's understated, but I like the imagery, and you can tell it really means something to Bono.
This seems to be how I'm reading most of the songs too, just by the video I saw. I'll be in Omaha next weekend, so hopefully some of these take off a bit more for me live than on the album. The 2015 tour dates made me appreciate some of the SOI songs a bit more as a result, so hopefully it's the same thing here.
trevgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:13 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainmaniac View Post
Just heard the IEM bootleg from St. Louis and Lights of Home is underwhelming... they must drop the strings version and actually play the song.
There's an IEM of St Louis?
Old 05-10-2018, 09:14 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Just found it - awesome
Old 05-10-2018, 09:15 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

I think LOH suffers form the same thing as EBW - I think a full band rockier arrangement would be fine. The riff is needed to drive that song live. You can probably make a hybrid where the strings take over for the second verse.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:35 AM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I'll say it again about Lights of Home: it's plodding. It doesn't have enough drive for a song in the #2 slot. The drama of it works, but it's being placed there for thematics and sonically it doesn't fit. Same problem I have with it on the album. Every Breaking Wave doesn't belong in that spot either.
I also have a problem with it on the album...the song plods along with its little acoustic guitar riff. Since the album came out I've had the my playlist set to LIAWHL, Blackout, Lights of Home (string version) and that works FAR better IMO. I was happy they went with this running order for the tour.

I disagree though that there needs to be more "drive" in the #3 slot. (It's not in the #2 slot) My last Pearl Jam concert started with Oceans/Footsteps//Off He Goes/Betterman before kicking into some high energy songs and it was amazing. For U2, I'd take drama/thematics over simply rawking out for the sake of rawking out anyday. Then again, I haven't and won't be seeing them live on this tour for the first time since the Elevation Tour so I can't really speak with first hand experience.
ImOuttaControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:36 AM   #14
War Child

Local Time: 01:15 PM
The Best Thing is probably the worst thing I've heard in a U2 concert... this version is awful. What are they doing?? Their full band version on JT was fine.
On the other hand, American Soul feels vibrant and fresh. Good surprise in a live setting, I must say.
trainmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainmaniac View Post
You hit the nail right on the head

Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote