SOE promo tour/promo activities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As for Best Thing, I enjoyed that too. One of the perks of SoE being more focused on pop and being a little more radio friendly is that they seem to be translating live really well. I thought the chorus was stronger than in the studio version, and Edge & Adam's solo with the audience clapping along was great. I think it's a shame that Adam got rid of the fuzz on his bass - makes the great verse melody he's playing stand out less - but overall the song works live in a way previous singles haven't. The crowd gave a big cheer at the end, but there certainly wasn't as much singing along as for the classics... Make of that what you will!

Just saw a clip of TBT on YouTube from yesterday’s performance and it was actually solid, one of the better performances i have seen. Bono seemed really into it and to your point the crowd enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Get out of your own ways just been on MTV but it wasn't the performance with all the signs that they showed. It was the first one they performed

Yeah - they musn't have been happy with the way they played it the second time. Really strange they didn't just cut some shots in with the placards...

Performance was a solid B-

Bono's voice is sounding a bit rough and shouty, but the band was reasonably tight. Without a second guitar over the solo it sounds quite thin.

Yeah - they musn't have been happy with the way they played it the second time. Really strange they didn't just cut some shots in with the placards...

Performance was a solid B-

Bono's voice is sounding a bit rough and shouty, but the band was reasonably tight. Without a second guitar over the solo it sounds quite thin.

Totally agree solid B. Wasn't amazing but was good enough

Also these MTV awards wow what a sack of shit. I'm nearly 32 and I haven't a clue who hardly any of these artists are :)

Please u2 don't do anything like this again and make me have to sit through this shit

U2 are probably just thrilled to be still in the conversation with youngsters

Last edited:
Bono didn't say much when taking the icon award. Quietest I've ever heard him. Taking a back seat in the uk with the tax reports :) got a tremendous cheer when he did say something though

Bono didn't say much when taking the icon award. Quietest I've ever heard him. Taking a back seat in the uk with the tax reports :) got a tremendous cheer when he did say something though

All the artists in the room love him - it’s music fans that can’t stand him. Interestingly, these are the people who have met him and know him, so you’ve gotta think he’s actually well liked by people who are in the know.

I saw a photo of Larry speaking on Instagram - is he finally on board?!?

Here's link to the MTV performance that actually works.

U2 "Get Out Of Your Way" (2017 MTV EMA) - Video Clip - 2017 EMA - MTV

Solid effort and I liked the performance but 3 observations:

1-crowd is dead
2- he leaves off the second "fight" in the first chorus and I'm not sure if that was on purpose or by mistake
3-I saw a fan recorded clip on YouTube of this performance and this version showed the same thing....he says the word "slaves" very weird. Like to the point of....creepy

I really do dig this song.

Solid effort and I liked the performance but 3 observations:

1-crowd is dead
2- he leaves off the second "fight" in the first chorus and I'm not sure if that was on purpose or by mistake
3-I saw a fan recorded clip on YouTube of this performance and this version showed the same thing....he says the word "slaves" very weird. Like to the point of....creepy

I really do dig this song.

I didn't notice the slave thing but did notice the absence of the 2nd "fight." Seemed like a mistake to me or perhaps a chance to catch his breath. Guess we'll get a better idea with the next performance.

I didn't notice the slave thing but did notice the absence of the 2nd "fight." Seemed like a mistake to me or perhaps a chance to catch his breath. Guess we'll get a better idea with the next performance.

I just listened again and it's not the word "slaves" he says weird it's "lead them" that sounds just...odd.

This was probably a one-off and they'll be back a traditional promo tour of talk show appearances, but a promo tour of free mini-concerts like this in major cities would be incredible

Also, is that the same megaphone from the European leg of i+e?

Last edited:
Confirms it wasn’t just a bad YouTube recording making this sound awful.....

I thought it was a good performance myself. Not great but good enough. The crowd didn't seem to be in to it at all though. Completely static. If the crowd had of been in to it I think people would rate the performance higher

Is that supposed to be a guitar solo?

Bono sounds like he's reading some political essay instead of actually singing lyrics to music. His typical verbiage turned up to 11.

Ridiculous how many people here are gargling this by-the-numbers Kool-Aid.

Ridiculous that some would hold a subjective opinion contrary to my own subjective opinion! Ridiculous, I say!

Solid performance. I like Bono 's phrasing in the song, more than the song itself. He's pushing himself, which is cool.

Is that supposed to be a guitar solo?

Bono sounds like he's reading some political essay instead of actually singing lyrics to music. His typical verbiage turned up to 11.

Ridiculous how many people here are gargling this by-the-numbers Kool-Aid.

The verses are cumbersome, especially the awful second verse, but The Miracle was verbiage-to-11, not GOOYOW.

If it weren't for that second verse I'd enjoy the song more than I do. But as it stands it's a "meh, nothing special" rather than "yeah it's alright".

If it weren't for that second verse I'd enjoy the song more than I do. But as it stands it's a "meh, nothing special" rather than "yeah it's alright".

I'm sure you mentioned it elsewhere, but what is it about the 2nd verse that you don't like?

I personally quite like the lyrics overall, but what has tainted a lot of u2 lyrics on the last 15 years is the lack of subtlety.

I'm sure you mentioned it elsewhere, but what is it about the 2nd verse that you don't like?

I personally quite like the lyrics overall, but what has tainted a lot of u2 lyrics on the last 15 years is the lack of subtlety.

It doesn't really seem to fit the song, and to me comes across as forced in. If I were told that only one part of the four songs we currently know had been revised in light of Trump's election, I would pick that verse without hesitation. It doesn't gel with the first verse, the chorus, or the stated theme of a letter to Bono's daughters (I've read a couple of posts shoehorning it in to that theme, but it's still ineffective).

I also just really dislike it even if it did fit. Slaves looking for someone to lead them? Master looking for someone to need him? I can't quite explain it but those lines rub me the wrong way. And, of course, the Lincoln's ghost thing is clumsy.

Back
Top Bottom