SOE promo tour/promo activities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wonder if u2 will close the show like they did the other year with jay z. Hopefully there opening the show so I don't have to sit through the rest of the utter garbage. U2 are up for best rock and best live aswell though
U2 to collab on stage with One Republic feat Taylor Swift vs Coldplay

DN4tlu_WkAEXR1U

:giggle: Go bold or go home!

He looks like he's trying to dress like a Millennial hipster. :lol: I actually like his hats, but not those round glasses.

You're right, but they seem hugely bullish about the album - presumably they know it inside out by now. I know it's Hot Press, but still - I'll take any encouragement!

Yeah I think your right

Thanks for posting. Interesting that the crowd wasn't into the performance and not just the new songs but even the classics (Pride and SBS).

2 very cool points the author mentions:

1-The author thought the performance of GOOYOW was great (I thought it was good) but more interesting is they seem to have heard the album already and note:

"They play 'Get Out of Your Own Way' from the new album. To these ears, it sounds great, a fine song from an album that is studded with classic U2 tracks."

Im not saying this album will have a slew of "classic" tunes but it makes me excited to hear the author thinks it does.

2-Elevation seemed to get the best reaction. I love this song even it's cheesy/ridiculous lyrics and I love how the general masses dig it!

Anyone who doesn't like millennial U2 song writing can likely point to Elevation as the driving force behind every questionable lyric. If you can get 90k people to scream "A mole, digging in a hole. Digging up my soul now going down excavation".....then you start writing whatever the fuck your want.

I've said it before on here but the shows I go to elevation goes down aswell as any other track. I saw a u2 tribute band last month and everyone went wild for it. Big tune for them, I'm definitely in the elevation camp

I'm not a big fan of Elevation and I've never missed it when it hasn't been played, but I'll take it over Beautiful Day nowadays, that's for sure. I think Beautiful Day is clearly a better song, but for whatever reason I just did not feel it at all on JT30. Elevation at least got me to bob my head a bit (or, the night I was really drunk, dance like a madman).

I've said it before on here but the shows I go to elevation goes down aswell as any other track. I saw a u2 tribute band last month and everyone went wild for it. Big tune for them, I'm definitely in the elevation camp

Anecdotally, everybody went apeshit for Elevation & Vertigo at Twickenham

Elevation is easily the song that gets the best crowd reaction. It's obviously not their biggest song, but is there anything more fitted to a stadium show than shouting ooo-ooo and jumping up and down? If I'd written Elevation, you bet I'd play it at every (stadium) gig.

Was at Trafalgar Square last night. Amazing setting for a gig.

They played for about 50 mins, good balance of older and newer songs. Starting with Sunday Bloody Sunday and Pride was great.

Only small criticism is that they didn’t need to play GOOYOW twice. Would have been nice if they played The Blackout instead, and just did GOOYOW for the video.

They played for about 50 mins, good balance of older and newer songs. Starting with Sunday Bloody Sunday and Pride was great.

Only small criticism is that they didn’t need to play GOOYOW twice. Would have been nice if they played The Blackout instead, and just did GOOYOW for the video.
They played crazy tonight in its remixed and non-remixed (for a video) forms on an early 360 show, nothing new here.

At least that show in Barcelona made some sense, in that the Crazy Tonight remix was a very different experience (and a central one to the 360 set) to the original version.

But on the other hand if you're filming a video it's handy to have multiple takes. Some footage from the first take of GOOYOW - of the band at least, if not the crowd - could definitely be used in the video.

I was also at the gig last night. Was very cool to see them play in such a small space (and one I walk past all the time!), and to hear the live debut of GOOYOW.

Unfortunately the sound was pretty lacking (far quieter than a normal gig - to the point people singing along next to us were louder than Bono). But I suspect that was because it was a public space and there were noise limits or something.

As for GOOYOW: sound issues aside, I thought it sounded great. A little stripped down compared to the recording, but the chorus ("I could sing it to you all night" etc) sounded fucking great. :up:

Looking forward to the E&I tour next year, particularly for the Blackout - I'm loving that song more and more, and I'm kind of surprised it wasn't a lead single now.

TV shootings will often have repeat performances.

I've seen U2 perform for a taped TV show three times... Brooklyn Bridge, HOF 25th and 30 Rock roof for Invisible... All of them had a song played twice.

It has to do with production for a tv shoot specifically. Not sure why people keep pointing to the fact they’ve doubled up in past tour concerts. Irrelevant.

As for GOOYOW: sound issues aside, I thought it sounded great. A little stripped down compared to the recording, but the chorus ("I could sing it to you all night" etc) sounded fucking great. :up:

Cool to hear. I heard it on YouTube (not the same) and thought it sounded good but it's cool to hear it had more punch live.

I can see this being a highlight live on the upcoming tour. That chorus just screams "sing a long". Of the 4 songs I have heard so far from SOE, Blackout and GOOYOW seem built for the live experience. I hope that TBT is given a reworking live as it seems to fall fairly flat live with what I have seen the same with Little Things, although the ladder was out of place on JT30 and perhaps that is what gave it a fairly meh feel.

With that said, what did you think of Best Thing ?

If it makes you feel better I was at the video shoot of COBL and they played that song 5 or 6 times haha. But luckily after that they played a few other songs. I don't remember exactly what they played as its been so long ago. I remember I was within touching distance of Bono! Right up in the rails.

Cool to hear. I heard it on YouTube (not the same) and thought it sounded good but it's cool to hear it had more punch live.

I can see this being a highlight live on the upcoming tour. That chorus just screams "sing a long". Of the 4 songs I have heard so far from SOE, Blackout and GOOYOW seem built for the live experience. I hope that TBT is given a reworking live as it seems to fall fairly flat live with what I have seen the same with Little Things, although the ladder was out of place on JT30 and perhaps that is what gave it a fairly meh feel.

With that said, what did you think of Best Thing ?

Yeah, I was pretty surprised by how 'big' that part of the song was. Only downside was the "get out of your own way" part immediately after sounds a bit weaker (as they go from power chords to the chiming melody). But again, might've been sound issues. Anyhow, I thought overall it worked well live. And I agree, the chorus is perfect to sing along to!

As for Best Thing, I enjoyed that too. One of the perks of SoE being more focused on pop and being a little more radio friendly is that they seem to be translating live really well. I thought the chorus was stronger than in the studio version, and Edge & Adam's solo with the audience clapping along was great. I think it's a shame that Adam got rid of the fuzz on his bass - makes the great verse melody he's playing stand out less - but overall the song works live in a way previous singles haven't. The crowd gave a big cheer at the end, but there certainly wasn't as much singing along as for the classics... Make of that what you will!

Having said all that, I could imagine Blackout blowing TBT and GOOYOW out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom