SOE Lucky 13: Dallas Lies in Vegas ...TONIGHT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Harry is accurate:

I still find it unbelievable that they still don't have a defined setlist 12 hours before a show that they've known they were playing weeks ago (if not several months ago).

If true, this also leads me to believe that the album isn't finished OR they finished VERY recently and still aren't comfortable w/ the songs yet.

This is thread 14 as there was a thread between 7 and 8 :tsk:

So I had been thinking this news/rumour of them practising new songs (but failing) maintains the 50/50 odds...

On one hand, it just screams 'misdirection'.
On the other, maybe they really have been trying for ages and just couldn't get the new songs nailed down live, and last night was the last attempt.

... But then it occurred to me that they've only been together in america, rehearsing for what... 2 weeks? If this whole album release and the fantastic radio promotion opportunity with iHeart was all riding on getting the songs perfected live, there's no way they would've only allowed 2 weeks to do it. That's mental. So that all sounds like fake info to disguise a big reveal.

Regarding not knowing the probable set list by yesterday; I would wager that they will defo play Beautiful Day, Vertigo, I will Follow, at least one of WOWY or Still Haven't Found, One, and probs the best known song from SOI (Miracle). So there's most likely 6 out of a probable 8 song setlist at most already set. So they really only have to make any actual decisions on about 2 or 3 songs. Not a big deal really.

Some had mentioned that Streets is unlikely in a typical non-U2 concert environment? Not playing Streets at a proper U2 gig would be heresy. But at these kinda shows? Not sure really.

just and at being the safe words

trigger warning:

bono-u2-roulette.jpg

Doubt it would be they can't play them. U2 songs aren't known for being too technical (aside from Edge's effects)

I would believe it more if they can't find a good live arrangement. Many U2 songs have been soundchecked and never seen the light of day.

Not because they can't play them, but they feel they sound like shit.

Though why Electrical Storm live arrangement ever made it to the paying public blows my mind. Edge's guitar in the chorus sounds so....off???

This is going to be a very long day

And tomorrow could be one of the best meltdown days ever

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Doubt it would be they can't play them. U2 songs aren't known for being too technical (aside from Edge's effects)

I would believe it more if they can't find a good live arrangement. Many U2 songs have been soundchecked and never seen the light of day.

Not because they can't play them, but they feel they sound like shit.

Though why Electrical Storm live arrangement ever made it to the paying public blows my mind. Edge's guitar in the chorus sounds so....off???

This is going to be a very long day

And tomorrow could be one of the best meltdown days ever

U2 have shown us over the years that they require an unusually large amount of rehearsals just to get the songs to sound halfway decent, especially the new songs, but also even old ones they've played over 1,000 times.

Even by the time the tours start they're usually still pretty rusty for s week or two. It's completely likely that they had rehearsed a new song or two and it still doesn't sound good enough to play at a highly publicized event like this. They don't want to repeat "The Miracle", which had a pretty poor first airing.

Could definitely see Dallas's comments as misdirection, but who the hell knows at this point.

Some had mentioned that Streets is unlikely in a typical non-U2 concert environment? Not playing Streets at a proper U2 gig would be heresy. But at these kinda shows? Not sure really.

Yeah, Streets is actually very rare outside of full tour shows. The first time it was performed at a show that was not a full tour gig, public rehearsal, or its video shoot was the Super Bowl. Since then it has appeared at the launch of U2 3D in Cannes, Glastonbury (both when U2 played, and when Edge guested with Muse), the "U2 Minus 1" gig in Times Square, and Edge and Adam with Unforgettable Fire at atu2's bash.

It's a chance but you wouldn't rate it as high as One, Pride, Beautiful Day, or Vertigo.

If they're preparing/attempting to play several new songs, that surely means they're intending to announce an album.

So I'm hoping that if they haven't nailed all of them down yet, that they at least play the lead single (presumable The Best Thing) and announce the album.

I just can't imagine them being at the stage where they're prepared to announce the album, but delay it because they couldn't perfect a few new songs live in 2 weeks.

Yeah, Streets is actually very rare outside of full tour shows. The first time it was performed at a show that was not a full tour gig, public rehearsal, or its video shoot was the Super Bowl. Since then it has appeared at the launch of U2 3D in Cannes, Glastonbury (both when U2 played, and when Edge guested with Muse), the "U2 Minus 1" gig in Times Square, and Edge and Adam with Unforgettable Fire at atu2's bash.

Wow [emoji813]

It's a chance but you wouldn't rate it as high as One, Pride, Beautiful Day, or Vertigo.

Thanks Axver, thought as much. Although Glasto was more of a proper gig in terms of the length of the set list, would have been hard to leave it out in that context.

Thanks again. :up:

Ok, lets unpack this a bit.

Instead of 50/50, I would say we are now at a 33/33/33 scenario.
1. Everything Dallas said was true and we are getting only old material
2. What Dallas said was true about songs (plural) but they have one new song nailed down. They got a brainstorm a day ago and thought, hey maybe we play two or three new ones! But it just didn’t come together to their liking.
3. Calculated misdirection.
This one still seems the most plausible to me. They have had rehearsal time now for over two weeks, with a gig that been booked for six months, that just happens to be the first promo event they are playing after the SOI release mess, and twitter/general public annoyance. I would think they would have laid out a setlist and any new material they would consider playing weeks ago, before rehearsal.
In fact, if they are doing some sort of deal with iheart with airplay involved, they would have HAD to have committed to playing the lead single that would be going to radio and they would have that one down pat.

Digging further. Dallas didn’t have to mention anything about new songs. One would think that if they really did try some new songs and they were a mess, that Dallas would not say anything other than, “rehearsals went great, band is really tired, gonna sleep until show time”

But no, he brought up new songs being practiced. This says to me that the album is indeed finished and that he wanted to get some rumors stirring (quite successfully) on whether we would or would not hear something new tonight.
Just the fact that he used the plural, songs, that I tend to think we may in fact get more than just one new song tonight. I know wishful thinking. But it makes more sense to me than a band that has been working on these songs for months/year, rehearsed for a couple weeks, just willy nilly decided that they would just randomly give a few new songs a go in front of a streamed/televised non-U2 audience.

This setlist would be nice:

It is possible to do a short setlist with classics and some new without going booring.
This would be lovely.

1. Beautiful Day
2. Raised By Wolf
3. Until The End Of The World
4. New Years Day
5. New Song
6. Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom