SOE Lucky 13: Dallas Lies in Vegas ...TONIGHT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I see this kind of business options from U2 I always think that probably Bono said that they want to fight for irrelevance, not the opposite. They are doing everything right towards that.

I almost wish they'd just retire now, it's painful to watch this decline in relevance, missed opertunities etc etc.

Just curious about what most of you would prefer from the band going forward.

1. Album followed by a two year world tour as they have done in the past.

2 Forget the world tour, do a few gigs here and there to promote the new record and be a lot more prolific in terms of putting out new music.

I personally would prefer option 2.

Last edited:
Well I guess if the rumour about Joe saying a spring tour is happening we'll see the album no later than... March? So that's something I guess.
But why start in America again?

Genuinely think that was up there as one of the worst ideas they've ever had.
If anything it's cemented the "rock dinosaur" image they are so terrified of having in the eyes of the kids.

They've now fully entered Bon Jovi territory. You've gotta laugh, I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Genuinely think that was up there as one of the worst ideas they've ever had.
If anything it's cemented the "rock dinosaur" image they are so terrified of having in the eyes of the kids.

They've now fully entered Bon Jovi territory. You've gotta laugh, I guess.

The gone full Bon Jovi, you don't go full Bon Jovi!

I blame myself for this debacle. I tuned in right as Desire was ending and it was all downhill from there.

Well, Bono said, during an interview tonight that the album was coming out next year. So I'd assume Jan or Feb, if the tour resumes in Spring.

I don't mind them taking 5 years between albums but I would wish they would just shut up after every album with a promise of a very quick release afterwards. This is the second time in a row now. Next time just don't mention a quick follow up and it would be much much better.

So did Dallas tell the truth? Why would he mention new songs being rehearsed without success if they were not?

Did they TRY to play some new stuff but decided against that plan because... ???

Oh U2..... but why should things change with this band?

So at this point, it's looking like the last shows of this tour will be 3 years after the first shows!
Has that every happened with any other band?

Calling it now: album in March, tour in May or June. Lead single sometime in winter. Though they're known for being a calculated Q4 release kind of band, they've released albums in late winter/early spring at least four times already (War, Joshua Tree, Pop, NLOTH) and it fits their touring plans.

40 years! I was 5 when they started and 12 when I discovered their music. I am forever grateful for all the songs and 11 shows I saw. Today will be the day we apart.

My uneducated guess is that they wanted to do a new song between Vertigo and BD, but they couldn't get it to work so they threw in an easy crowd pleaser. That's why Elevation was such a disaster. Thrown in at the last second.

Calling it now: album in March, tour in May or June. Lead single sometime in winter. Though they're known for being a calculated Q4 release kind of band, they've released albums in late winter/early spring at least four times already (War, Joshua Tree, Pop, NLOTH) and it fits their touring plans.

This.

As long as they actually spend time in the studio between now and the end of the year.

I guess Dallas was right, except they can't play the old songs either.

Although I'm almost glad they didn't play a new song. Voice was shot, they didn't have it together. Best to play a safe set and we can all forget about it. New song woulda sounded awful. Maybe they really did rehearse 12h but ffs they should know better by now. 40 years guys!

I don't see them ever doing a winter spring release again given that they want to maximize record sales. Q4 next year at the earliest and who knows what will happen between now and then! I have a feeling this might very will be another SOA like shinnanagan!

My uneducated guess is that they wanted to do a new song between Vertigo and BD, but they couldn't get it to work so they threw in an easy crowd pleaser. That's why Elevation was such a disaster. Thrown in at the last second.

I'd say more likely that Every Breaking Wave was thrown in, if anything. Bono on vocals, Edge on piano, nothing else. You barely need to rehearse.

40 years! I was 5 when they started and 12 when I discovered their music. I am forever grateful for all the songs and 11 shows I saw. Today will be the day we apart.

Dont lie,you will soon be back when they release a new record.

Were u2 fans through and through,we bitch and we moan sometimes but bono and the boys have us in their back pockets. Doesn't matter what they do we will always be back for more. Abit like my football team when their doing bad " o I ain't going to watch that rubbish again" next home matcj im back up there for more punishment.

We dont know how long u2 will be about for now so cheerish the build ups cause you never know it maybe the last one.

Ive just woke up in the uk was iheart that bad? :)

I'd say more likely that Every Breaking Wave was thrown in, if anything. Bono on vocals, Edge on piano, nothing else. You barely need to rehearse.

That's also certainly possible. But didn't Dallas mention songs plural? Maybe Elevation and EBW were both tossed in. Who knows, who cares. Bottom line is that they had several months to be ready for this gig and it was a letdown and a huge opportunity wasted.

I've lost track, how many of the songs did they screw up? Every time I refresh the thread there's another track mentioned!

We were making jokes this week about how they need to rehearse a lot, even for songs which they've been playing for 20 years plus....

And I think this thing about relevance is misunderstood. You can be a very relevant and successful artist without striving to be a mainstream phenomenon. They don't need the money, so I still don't understand why they aren't just being much more spontaneous with new music.

So after this performance.... what did they do in LA altogether?

Rehearsing last minute... really? It sounded like that, and I don't blame Bonos' voice...

I mean they had the chance to rock that kindergarden even without presenting new songs. They have so many great songs..... but sorry..... that was quite an uninspired performance imho

Just curious about what most of you would prefer from the band going forward.

1. Album followed by a two year world tour as they have done in the past.

2 Forget the world tour, do a few gigs here and there to promote the new record and be a lot more prolific in terms of putting out new music.

I personally would prefer option 2.

For 2014-17 they will have: released an album, holidayed for 8 months, toured for 6.5 months (with a 1 month break in between), recorded on & off (while holidaying) for 13+ months.

Please don't let this be an option!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom