SOE Lucky 13: Dallas Lies in Vegas ...TONIGHT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Party's standing drum kit means we will probably get one of EBTTRT, Invisible, or Desire

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Party's standing drum kit means we will probably get one of EBTTRT, Invisible, or Desire

They love Real Thing; I think it's a lock. And frankly, it would be an awesome opener. Sounds fresh and relevant, but still classic U2.

Dallas' statement, IMHO, confirms the new song will be played. If they really had gotten cold feet, he would have said something like "What new song?" But NO ONE tells a fan hours before a show, that the band (his employer) failed at rehearsing. Edge would fire him on the spot for that remark. I have a little job in entertainment, but I have worked in Hollywood for a long time. I guarantee you, NO ONE would say that if it were true, lest of all a season pro like Dallas. He would only say that if the opposite were true.

Second point. If Bono really is floating tapes to all these DJ's for remixes, then the album is essentially finished. They might reach out to one DJ with one track from an unfinished record, but not multiple, that sounds hard to swallow. Simply put, the remixes are a marketing ploy for the tracks on the album. That only works well if the remixes are derived from the album cut itself. Note that these guys aren't producers on the record. Like if they wanted to bring in Skrillex to be their "closer" in the production process to be the final hand that finishes the record, that would be one thing, then we would be hearing about him as a producer. But we aren't hearing about DJ's coming on as producers, we are hearing about them doing "work." That means remixes to me, and remixes mean that the broad contours of the songs are done, and we are probably in the finalling/mastering phase.

Having said all of that, nothing would stop them from shelving this version of the record and going back for more work. But I have a distinct feeling that we will get SOE sooner (Between now and March 2017) and that all the naysaying we hear now is a misdirection.

My money is on The Best Thing tonight, and a tease from Bono "We got a new record full of tunes like this and it's coming soon. I hope you like it."

Again, IMHO, YMMV.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that they pull a Bon Iver and play the entire album from start to finish tonight.
Chance of this actually happening: less than 0%.

Dallas' statement, IMHO, confirms the new song will be played. If they really had gotten cold feet, he would have said something like "What new song?" But NO ONE tells a fan hours before a show, that the the band (his employer) failed at rehearsing. Edge would fire him on the spot for that remark. I have a little job in entertainment, but I have worked in Hollywood for a long time. I guarantee you, NO ONE would say that if it were true, lest of all a season pro like Dallas.

Second point. If Bono really is floating tapes to all these DJ's for remixes, then the album is essentially finished. They might reach out to one DJ with one track from an unfinished record, but not multiples, that sounds hard to swallow. Simply put, the remixes are a marketing ploy for the tracks on the album. That only works well if the remixes are derived from the album cut itself. Note that these guys aren't producers on the record. Like if they wanted to bring in Skrillex to be their "closer" in the production process and be the final hand that finishes the record, that would be one thing, then we would be hearing about him as a producer. But we aren't hearing about DJ's coming on a producers, we are hearing about them doing "stuff." That means remixes to me, and remixes mean that the broad contours of the songs are finaled, and we are probably in the finalling/mastering phase.

Having said all of that, nothing would stop them from shelving this version of the record and going back for more work. But I have a distinct feeling that we will see SOE sooner (Between now and March 2017) and that all the naysaying we hear now is a misdirection.

My money is on The Best Thing tonight, and a tease from Bono "We got a new record full of tunes like this and it's coming soon. I hope you like it."

Again, IMHO, YMMV.

Yes to this.

And if TBT flops/fails/fizzles live, then a delay is inevitable. They won't release an album that won't work live.

looks like they figured out a way to get rid of all the old i+e shirts - slap today's date on 'em and send what's left tomorrow off to africa.

I think Dallas is telling a bunch of fibs. Surely they would have practiced the new songs in Dublin and not have to wait to get to Vegas before trying them out. I would expect one new song at the gig.

Dallas' statement, IMHO, confirms the new song will be played. If they really had gotten cold feet, he would have said something like "What new song?" But NO ONE tells a fan hours before a show, that the band (his employer) failed at rehearsing. Edge would fire him on the spot for that remark. I have a little job in entertainment, but I have worked in Hollywood for a long time. I guarantee you, NO ONE would say that if it were true, lest of all a season pro like Dallas. He would only say that if the opposite were true.

I completely agree with this. I can actually see them not being happy with the live arrangements, just like they feel they didn't nail the troubles or crystal ballroom, etc. But I cannot imagine Dallas telling a random fan that his employers of how many years now can't hack it even if it's true.

But damn you all for giving me hope. I was sure it'd be a greatest hits set and hey if there's a new song or something it'd awesome. But after reading way too many pages I'm kinda on board with the new song optimism. So much so that I cancelled plans to watch this thing.

Sorry i dont want to read through 100 pages, what did dallas actually say?

Sent from my SM-N910G using U2 Interference mobile app

Alright, I'll play the setlist prediction game:

1. Vertigo
2. I Will Follow
3. The Miracle
4. The Best Thing
5. Desire
6. Mysterious Ways
7. One
8. Beautiful Day
9. Pride and/or Out Of Control

If they go EBW rather than The Miracle, put it before BD.

Sorry i dont want to read through 100 pages, what did dallas actually say?

Sent from my SM-N910G using U2 Interference mobile app

That they rehearsed new songs, but couldn't "get it together"... there were inferences they had rehearsed at the venue all day (and we know the stage was not built yet), and also that they hadn't tried to play these songs before yesterday.

I honestly have no idea what might happen. I've gone from leaving towards them playing a new song to leaving towards nothing but warhorses in a matter of 10 hours.

I'd also like to give a big fuck you to iHeart and U2 for announcing this was happening tonight after I had already booked my Vegas trip for next fucking weekend.

Dicks.

Hey all, don't know if this has already been posted or not and I really don't have the time to scroll through this entire thread (have a sick 1 year old here), but when I was driving to the doctor's office I was listening to the Iheart80's radio channel and there were 2 radio dj's inside the arena and they were talking about that u2 had just finished their rehearsal, u2 having been given the innovator award by iheart and something along the line that they really wanted to tell what they had just heard/seen, but that they couldn't.

I say all in for new music tonight!!!

Hey all, don't know if this has already been posted or not and I really don't have the time to scroll through this entire thread (have a sick 1 year old here), but when I was driving to the doctor's office I was listening to the Iheartthe80's radiochannel and there were 2 radio dj's inside the arena and they were talking about that u2 had just finished their rehearsal and something along the line that they really wanted to tell what they had just heard/seen, but that they couldn't.

Good pick up!

SOMETHING is going on. But it could be anything.

- new music live
- new format/presentation with video/VR
- album/single dropping tied into performance.

This will be a long 6 hours

Hey all, don't know if this has already been posted or not and I really don't have the time to scroll through this entire thread (have a sick 1 year old here), but when I was driving to the doctor's office I was listening to the Iheartthe80's radio channel and there were 2 radio dj's inside the arena and they were talking about that u2 had just finished their rehearsal, u2 having been given the innovator award by iheart and something along the line that they really wanted to tell what they had just heard/seen, but that they couldn't.
Thanks for sharing that! Is it 1:40 AM yet? :waiting:

Hey all, don't know if this has already been posted or not and I really don't have the time to scroll through this entire thread (have a sick 1 year old here), but when I was driving to the doctor's office I was listening to the Iheartthe80's radiochannel and there were 2 radio dj's inside the arena and they were talking about that u2 had just finished their rehearsal and something along the line that they really wanted to tell what they had just heard/seen, but that they couldn't.

That definitely confirms it. They're playing ALL of Frampton Comes Alive.

Yep. Like everyone else is saying, I have no idea which way I'm leaning. Good job by U2 as always for staying secretive.

I've been saying new single plus songs from SoI and a couple of warhorses for the last day or so.

But these comments of "what people are seeing" is very intriguing...could be anything

Hologram Larry or hologram Morleigh's cat...

Why do they have to do this at such a bad time for us Europeans? (Well European for now anyway)

Other fun tidbit : as is to be expected, since it (the iheart80s channel) is one of the iheart-radio channels, they have been advertising the iheart festival and that u2 is headlining, like crazy.
But I have never heard them play one of u2's 80's songs on there ever! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom