SOE -- How will they use these 13 songs in concert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clerks

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Instead of guessing exact playlists with 23-25 songs, let's guess how they'll use these songs (if at all).

13 Tracks -- will they play them all? No way.

PLAY AT EVERY SHOW 99% SURE

- Best Thing
- Get Out of your way and my way!
- American Soul (America is an idea not a country the song!)
- Little Things
- Blackout

PROBABLY PLAY AT EVERY SHOW
-- Lights of Home (feels like the emotional part of the setlist. near the top)
-- Landlady (feels like end of main set, emotional too)
-- The Showman (one of the last songs of the night, encore starter?, Bono wears a fun outfit.)

WHICH THEY PLAY PROBABLY WON'T JUST TO PISS US ALL OFF
- Love Is bIgger than anything in it's way

ACOUSTIC
- Red Flag Day (or some weird bit where Larry walks to front of b stage)
- Summer of Love

WON'T PLAY FULL SONG

- Love is All We Have Left
- 13 (snippet I see)

SONG THAT WILL SOUND BEST LIVE COMPARED TO ALBUM
- Blackout
- American Soul
- Lights of Home
- Landlady
- Red Flag Day

SONGS THEY WILL CHANGE ARRANGEMENT OR SLOW DOWN OR FUCK UP LIVE JUST TO PISS ME OFF PERSONALLY

-- Best Thing

OPENER
- The Blackout

LIAWHL- possibly a transition between another song and streets, or as some kind of intro music before the first song.

LOH- I really don't know about this one. They already played it live once at that BBC taping, but with the full orchestra. Could occupy a similar place in the show that Cedarwood Road did.

TBT- Definitely played every night, in the first few songs of the night.

GOOYOW- Definitely played every night.

AS- This will be the centerpiece of the first set. They'll make a big show out of American ass kissing... even in non US countries, which will be awkward.

SOL- Unless they have some kind of Syrian refugee visuals and an overall message they're trying to send, this song won't be played.

RFD- I can see this being the song that they never play from the album, much to the dismay and confusion of fans everywhere. If they do, it'll probably get the half assed e-stage treatment a handful of times.

Showman- E-stage, definitely. Will be pretty regular in the rotation early on, will drop off in frequency by the time they get to Europe.

Little Things- Probably will be played every night

Landlady- Probably won't be played. Doesn't seem to be the kind of song that will be played live.

Blackout- Most likely candidate for show opener, probably played every night.

LIBTAIIW= I really don't think they'll play this one, there's just too many other songs that would fill this role that would get a bigger reaction from the audience.

13- Never played live

BOYH- Never played live

LIAWHL - First song every night. Will start with Bono singing alone on stage, before being joined by the others for the next, much more upbeat full-band song.

LOH - They will try this a few nights, but won't be pleased and it will be dropped.

TBT - Every night.

GOOYOW- Every night.

AS - Every night.

SOL - Will have one or two rare acoustic appearances, but will not be played otherwise.

RFD - Will never be played ever.

The Showman - Acoustic song, will be played most nights.

The Little Things - Will be played some nights, some nights not.

Landlady - Will never be played in full ever, will probably get some rare snippet or something.

The Blackout - Will be played often, if not every night.

LIBTAIIW - I'm skeptical if they'll figure out how to play this live properly, but this is a song I think they want to play. They either figure it out and it'll get played every night, or they don't and it never gets played.

13 - Won't be played.

I think most of my favourite songs (Lights of Home, Summer of Love, 13) will be put on the wayside, which is a shame, but could be pretty good regardless.

LIAWHL- possibly a transition between another song and streets, or as some kind of intro music before the first song.

LOH- I really don't know about this one. They already played it live once at that BBC taping, but with the full orchestra. Could occupy a similar place in the show that Cedarwood Road did.

TBT- Definitely played every night, in the first few songs of the night.

GOOYOW- Definitely played every night.

AS- This will be the centerpiece of the first set. They'll make a big show out of American ass kissing... even in non US countries, which will be awkward.

SOL- Unless they have some kind of Syrian refugee visuals and an overall message they're trying to send, this song won't be played.

RFD- I can see this being the song that they never play from the album, much to the dismay and confusion of fans everywhere. If they do, it'll probably get the half assed e-stage treatment a handful of times.

Showman- E-stage, definitely. Will be pretty regular in the rotation early on, will drop off in frequency by the time they get to Europe.

Little Things- Probably will be played every night

Landlady- Probably won't be played. Doesn't seem to be the kind of song that will be played live.

Blackout- Most likely candidate for show opener, probably played every night.

LIBTAIIW= I really don't think they'll play this one, there's just too many other songs that would fill this role that would get a bigger reaction from the audience.

13- Never played live

BOYH- Never played live

Any video link of them play BBC Light of Home? I could only find All I Want is You.

I'm too lazy to look up but last album SOI they never played 2 songs --

Sleep Like A Baby
This is Where you Can Reach Me Now

And they might have played California once or twice -- but mostly a snippet?

That's my memory. They played 9 of the 11 songs. 6 songs always in set if I recall.

The Blackout is going to be the show opener, I'm sure of it.

I bet the nightly standards from SoE will be:

The Blackout
You're The Best Thing About Me
Get Out Of Your Own Way
American Soul (ugh)
Summer of Love
Little Things

If I had to pick another, I'd say Love is Bigger might close the shows.

Love is All We Have Left... Show opener, just a solo spotlight before segueing in to The Blackout.

That’s as far as I’ve got. I’d still like to see them work up a set list playing all of SOI and SOE before a greatest hits section. But that’ll never happen.

Any video link of them play BBC Light of Home? I could only find All I Want is You.

I'm too lazy to look up but last album SOI they never played 2 songs --

Sleep Like A Baby
This is Where you Can Reach Me Now

And they might have played California once or twice -- but mostly a snippet?

That's my memory. They played 9 of the 11 songs. 6 songs always in set if I recall.

People who were there say "Lights of Home" was played with the full orchestra. That's the only way we know. The rest of the performance won't be available to watch for a couple
weeks.

I thought "California" was going to be a nightly staple, or at least in a steady rotation. I was at one of the 3 I&E shows where they played it (Chicago 5) and of all the new songs, it seemed to get the best reaction. The crowd seemed to actually know it and get into it, not sure why they abandoned it.

No BBC orchestra clips have been released other than All I Want Is You. Full show airs on the 19th.

Love is all we have left- only in snippet form at the end of songs

LOH-every night

Best Thing- every night

GOOYOW- every night

AS- every night

Summer of Love- every night

Red Flag Day- every night

Showman- will not play

Little Things- every night

Land Lady- only in snippet form at the end of songs

Blackout- every night

Love is Bigger- every night but like clerks, I can see them making a dumb decision and not playing it but they will!

13- will not be played

Love is all we have left- only in snippet form at the end of songs

LOH-every night

Best Thing- every night

GOOYOW- every night

AS- every night

Summer of Love- every night

Red Flag Day- every night

Showman- will not play

Little Things- every night

Land Lady- only in snippet form at the end of songs

Blackout- every night

Love is Bigger- every night but like clerks, I can see them making a dumb decision and not playing it but they will!

13- will not be played

You think they're going to play 9 new songs every night?

Get Out will open, followed with American Soul and then Best Thing, then some old songs.

Lights Of Home, Little Things and Blackout will be played nightly.

That's all I'm sure on. Will have 2, maybe 3 more off the album in the regular rotation. Love Is Bigger is a popular choice here but I think it'll be skipped when they can't figure out how to play it.

I give Love Is All We Have Left a good shot at making it, probably as a lead in to Lights Of Home. If they do another "story" run of songs like on i/e, I can see that duo as the start of it.

You think they're going to play 9 new songs every night?

Their last tour they played the entire album ;)

Well, take off Love Is Bigger and I’ll go with 8....yes that’s still a lot but I think after the JT “nostalgia” tour they will be really eager to play new songs.

Ax....what’s the highest number songs from a new album that U2 have played on a tour?

I’m guessing 7 SOE Songs, 4 SOI Songs, Invisible, followed by 12-13 of classics mixed with some deep cuts.

It's hard for me to imagine a single SoI song, let alone two, as a nightly regular. My guess is they will pretty much swap in SoE for SoI and maintain the same balance of old stuff vs. new.

Ax....what’s the highest number songs from a new album that U2 have played on a tour?

Every song from Boy plus some non-album songs, though Shadows and Tall Trees didn't actually make the Boy Tour. It was last played at some miscellaneous Irish dates around the time the album came out, before the tour began overseas.

Achtung and Pop both got 11 out of 12, and you could say Pop got 11.5 because of the snippets of Playboy Mansion. But of course those counts include rarities—e.g. So Cruel and DYFL.

My instinct is that 13 and LIAWHL won't be played, though the suggestion above that LIAWHL could be used as a segue to something like Streets is not a bad one. I'd rate all the others a chance, but my expectation for songs played every night (or close to it) is: Lights of Home, Best Thing, GOOYOW, American Soul, Little Things, and Blackout. Bono seems quite passionate about the concept behind Summer of Love so it could also be an every-nighter.

Every song from Boy plus some non-album songs, though Shadows and Tall Trees didn't actually make the Boy Tour. It was last played at some miscellaneous Irish dates around the time the album came out, before the tour began overseas.

Achtung and Pop both got 11 out of 12, and you could say Pop got 11.5 because of the snippets of Playboy Mansion. But of course those counts include rarities—e.g. So Cruel and DYFL.

My instinct is that 13 and LIAWHL won't be played, though the suggestion above that LIAWHL could be used as a segue to something like Streets is not a bad one. I'd rate all the others a chance, but my expectation for songs played every night (or close to it) is: Lights of Home, Best Thing, GOOYOW, American Soul, Little Things, and Blackout. Bono seems quite passionate about the concept behind Summer of Love so it could also be an every-nighter.

Hope you'll do a full album-by-album tour prediction for U2gigs, like last time! That was a fun read.

Hope you'll do a full album-by-album tour prediction for U2gigs, like last time! That was a fun read.

Yep, plan to, and I hope that guy who likes to troll me about the predictions being wrong, Zoo Tourist or whatever his screen name is, gets some proper fuck-off jollies from it too.

Though I really am very unsure about SOE's prospects beyond the six or so obvious locks.

I think they might try to close by starting to play 13, then walk off the stage with the audience half-heartedly chanting "there is a light..."

Once they realise this isn't working, they'll fall back on closing with a crowd pleaser.

Can I troll you?

You mean to say you aren't already?

I think they might try to close by starting to play 13, then walk off the stage with the audience half-heartedly chanting "there is a light..."

Once they realise this isn't working, they'll fall back on closing with a crowd pleaser.

Ahh, like when they thought Mothers of the Disappeared and a chant of "el pueblo vencera" would replace 40...

You mean to say you aren't already?

Ahh, like when they thought Mothers of the Disappeared and a chant of "el pueblo vencera" would replace 40...

Special mention to, "power of the people; so much stronger than the people in power." Opening night of TJT Tour 2017.

Never understood why that one didn't catch on, given it rolls off the tongue. :|

Special mention to, "power of the people; so much stronger than the people in power." Opening night of TJT Tour 2017.

Never understood why that one didn't catch on, given it rolls off the tongue. :|

I’m surprised no one has brought up the strange evolution of the song along at the beginning of Elevation.

It started off as the normal “Whoo hoo” chant. Then it morphed a bit into “ohhhhhhh ohhhh, ohhhhhh” and most recently it has been a combination of just moaning at different octaves that sound terrible and are difficult to sing along to.

It’s like he is fucking with people to see what he can get away with that people will sing along to.

Oh fuck that one was funny. I can't believe he thought that would work.

Yep, plan to, and I hope that guy who likes to troll me about the predictions being wrong, Zoo Tourist or whatever his screen name is, gets some proper fuck-off jollies from it too.

Though I really am very unsure about SOE's prospects beyond the six or so obvious locks.
If you believe Adam, something from Pop is more likely to be played than something from JT hah

I'm looking forward to predicting something rare and then having to eat my words.

Yeah I'll believe that when it happens. Hard to imagine a setlist with even one more Pop song in it than JT.

...or just one Pop song in it, full stop.

I was there...it did not roll off the tongue and we were very confused

Get Out will open, followed with American Soul and then Best Thing, then some old songs.

Lights Of Home, Little Things and Blackout will be played nightly.

That's all I'm sure on. Will have 2, maybe 3 more off the album in the regular rotation. Love Is Bigger is a popular choice here but I think it'll be skipped when they can't figure out how to play it.

I give Love Is All We Have Left a good shot at making it, probably as a lead in to Lights Of Home. If they do another "story" run of songs like on i/e, I can see that duo as the start of it.

I don't see how they don't mirror the last concert and start with the lighbulb slowly going out --- then first song into THE BLACKOUT... it just screams opener to me... I don't know why it's fucking track 11, but to me it's number 1...

Or maybe they do open with another song like Get Out in the light with the bulb and it explodes (or goes dark in arena) as The Blackout starts....

The fact we are all convinced The Blackout will open, and will be awesome in that role, means it almost certainly won't be the opener.

Back
Top Bottom