SOE Holdouts until 12/1- The End is Near

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CosmoKramer

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I am holding off listening to SOE until 12/1. The main reason is that I want my first listen to be on the best quality version of the album. I also like the additional build up of excitement going into this homestretch where the professional reviews come in as well as the fan reviews (obviously more excitement if they are positive).

From everything I have read, both professional and fan, it seems that SOE is a winner. The fan reviews I have read, especially in this place (I have limited my exposure to them), have been very positive…not just "its good" but "its great". Now I take that with a grain of salt as the first several listens are covered in "New U2phoria" but even the posters that are more natural to negative seem to be impressed with a good portion of the album(although my tastes might differ).

There are posters that I find my tastes align very close to and those posters seem to be elated with what they have heard and this is adding to my excitement. While I personally like all the songs that were released thus far (AS the least of them but I don't hate it by any stretch), I am amazed that universally people here seem to be stating that the best songs are the ones that were not released.

So who else is holding out until 12/1 to listen to the album with me? Its not easy but being that our real excitement for this album began 6 months ago when Little Things was debuted in May, surely we can hold off 5 more days!!!

Personally, I plan on being in front of my computer at 11:30p on 11/30 waiting for the songs to download. Ill have some alcohol handy to set the mood and plan on listening to the song (all of them) one by one and just soaking in the moment. I only hope that some of these songs give me that uncontrollable smile that I had when I first heard Magnificent, Vertigo, Walk On, etc..

5 days to go until I can join in the conversations about Summer of Love, Red Flag Day, The Showman, Landlady, 13, Little Things, Love is Bigger, Lights of Home and Love is all we have left!!!!!!

:heart:

So who is with me?

God bless you for waiting. You won’t be disappointed! Listening to Red Flag Day as I type this and I am just ecstatic over it. And now Showman is on...makes me want to bounce around the room, lol.

My only regret is that it’s not the best quality sound. That’s usually very important to me (listen to mostly vinyl and am a wannabe audiophile of sorts). But I am so damn weak!

I listened to half of the stream, and then decided to wait until I have the CD.

The GREAT news though is that I won't have to wait all the way until 12/1. I pre-ordered it from Best Buy, and whataya know... they shipped it today, and tracking says it should be in my hands by Tuesday at the latest. :applaud:

I listened to half of the stream, and then decided to wait until I have the CD.

The GREAT news though is that I won't have to wait all the way until 12/1. I pre-ordered it from Best Buy, and whataya know... they shipped it today, and tracking says it should be in my hands by Tuesday at the latest. :applaud:

Which means a proper leak is imminent

As long as you are ok with acoustic guitars, lots of catchy, sing-a-long pop songs, easy listening, and not a lot of rocking guitars, you'll like this album.

There will definitely be more detail so that those of us who heard the stream will still be able to find something new in the clean audio.

I also want the official lyrics so I can get the complete impact.

I am holding off listening to SOE until 12/1. The main reason is that I want my first listen to be on the best quality version of the album. I also like the additional build up of excitement going into this homestretch where the professional reviews come in as well as the fan reviews (obviously more excitement if they are positive).

From everything I have read, both professional and fan, it seems that SOE is a winner. The fan reviews I have read, especially in this place (I have limited my exposure to them), have been very positive…not just "its good" but "its great". Now I take that with a grain of salt as the first several listens are covered in "New U2phoria" but even the posters that are more natural to negative seem to be impressed with a good portion of the album(although my tastes might differ).

There are posters that I find my tastes align very close to and those posters seem to be elated with what they have heard and this is adding to my excitement. While I personally like all the songs that were released thus far (AS the least of them but I don't hate it by any stretch), I am amazed that universally people here seem to be stating that the best songs are the ones that were not released.

So who else is holding out until 12/1 to listen to the album with me? Its not easy but being that our real excitement for this album began 6 months ago when Little Things was debuted in May, surely we can hold off 5 more days!!!

Personally, I plan on being in front of my computer at 11:30p on 11/30 waiting for the songs to download. Ill have some alcohol handy to set the mood and plan on listening to the song (all of them) one by one and just soaking in the moment. I only hope that some of these songs give me that uncontrollable smile that I had when I first heard Magnificent, Vertigo, Walk On, etc..

5 days to go until I can join in the conversations about Summer of Love, Red Flag Day, The Showman, Landlady, 13, Little Things, Love is Bigger, Lights of Home and Love is all we have left!!!!!!

So who is with me?
last night I said I was holding out and lasted about 30 minutes!!! kinda like the time on Seinfeld when Elaine was the first to cave in on the masturbating bet...I'm out!! Wait will be worth it!!

Attachments

• elaine.jpg
    elaine.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
last night I said I was holding out and lasted about 30 minutes!!! kinda like the time on Seinfeld when Elaine was the first to cave in on the masturbating bet...I'm out!! Wait will be worth it!!

Regardless of my forum name....this will NOT be me this week!

IMG_0224.JPG

I listened to it once and once only. Wasn't going to but wanted the share the fun with all my blue crack buddies!
Will hold off now until the release.
Cosmo - I'm a fairly sober U2 fan these days. Happy to call them out for being shite. American Soul is shite. Ned and Fred are unnecessary shitty rhymes. So I was expecting an immature album of attention seeking shit.
What I was most struck with on that one listen was how mature and creative this album is. That's NOT what the singles led me to expect!
Can't say I got the orgasmic reaction from Red Flag Day some did. I got it from Little Things though. And Landlady. And the 12th track too.
Hang in there mate! I suspect you're going to be a happy U2 fan in a few days!

Waiting for a better leak or release day (whichever comes first.) Listened to about 30 seconds of the stream and that was enough, need better quality.

I don't think the poorer quality preview will negatively affect my listening experience on 12/1. Since I'm enjoying it so much, it will only get better when I can hear it in all of its glory.

Mephisto says "Stop getting in your own way and have a bite of the apple" :lol:

So who is with me?

Cosmo!! You know that we are pretty close on our taste of things. Not lock step. I’m more of a 90’s guy to your 2000’s, but:

You are going to be happy. I think we rate the first 4 “singles” about identically.
I’ll tell you now, this album is NOT these singles.

Summer of Love
Red Flag Day
Love is All
Studio version of Little Things!!
Love is Bigger
Fucking Landlady!!!
Even 13 that I was SO skeptical of.

The relief and ... fullness I feel from this album is just so good

American Soul and the Shownan are near the bottom for me.

I do think TBT and Get Out are getting overlooked a bit cause the new stuff. They fit well and have their place for sure. Just not quite as surprising or outstanding as some of the others.

Can not wait to hear your review!!

Holding out. Gonna spare myself an hour on Friday night to listen on earphones (as long as my pre-order arrives).

But the reviews have been really enjoyable to read, and somewhat relieving to see that the rest of the songs appear to be starkly different from tracks 3-5, which have been underwhelming for me.

Holding out. Gonna spare myself an hour on Friday night to listen on earphones (as long as my pre-order arrives).

But the reviews have been really enjoyable to read, and somewhat relieving to see that the rest of the songs appear to be starkly different from tracks 3-5, which have been underwhelming for me.

The funny thing is - I wouldn’t characterise them as starkly different - they are just... better. They make these three make sense too.

I'm waiting until Friday, no point listening to some poor quality stream. Besides I've got the new Noel Gallagher album to listen to

I'm waiting. Frankly I enjoy the anticipation, and the truth is I didn't have any anticipation for this record until yesterday when this leaked and I started reading the reactions (I tend to not get psyched about things until they're tangible). Now I'm quite excited for it, but in a zen type way...savouring the anticipation as long as I can until its here....which is now imminent and inevitable. A few more days is nothing to be able to listen to the songs they way they are meant to. I have a feeling we'll get a high quality leak on Mon or Tues anyway as people start to receive their pre-orders early.

I'd think listening to a low quality leak is like having sex the first time with the ugliest person in school, who really doesn't want much to do with you, while drunk, in the backseat of a car. Sure, you're going to have lots of great sex later, but you only get one first time. When it's done, it's done.

Last edited:
I listened to the leak twice, but now I’m gonna hold out until Friday. :shifty: I think many of you will be pleasantly surprised when you listen to this album.

I listened to the leak twice, but now I’m gonna hold out until Friday. :shifty: I think many of you will be pleasantly surprised when you listen to this album.

Same here. RD and I made a pact, lol. I’m hoping to forget the songs just enough by Friday so the album still seems fresh.

Holding out as well, which I tend to do with most albums these days anyway. Haven't even heard American Soul yet.

Should be fun though. I don't think they'll be sending mp3s out the night before, like some of the TM redemptions/store orders for other bands have done for their new albums. But I may just download off iTunes around 10 pm anyway and then get the deluxe version on Friday. Guess we'll see!

Not interested in listening to a low quality leak myself. Just relaxing with some other great music and listening to the U2 album on friday. Will be like some early Santa gift.

I'm holding out till Friday. I did start to listen to it last night but the sound isn't the best so I'm gonna wait till Friday

I'm holding out as well. I've only heard TBT and the live version of LT. I really like both, but I gotta be honest. I am not really that excited for this album. I just am not anticipating it at all. I couldn't even tell you half of the song titles at this point. And I'm not going to any shows next year, because I can't be bothered to drive 6 hours to the nearest show.

I still love U2 and listen to them nearly everyday. I'm just have no excitement for a new album. I'm hoping that this pessimistic attitude will serve me well, when I buy it on December 1st and am BLOWN AWAY BY IT! I need an album to sweep me away, it's been awhile since I've felt that way.

Back
Top Bottom