SOE Holdouts until 12/1- The End is Near

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Please tell me people are not actually waiting for the calendar to change to Dec 1st to listen. That’s really silly.

I’m waiting until I get the vinyl copy in the morning. I refuse to listen to it on my phone right now even though it’s 8:53pm and now available on Apple Music.

I'm actually too busy to listen to it, so I'm just putting it out of my mind until tomorrow night when I hopefully have a CD in my hands and some AA batteries in the old Walkman. Then I'm gonna kick it old school and party like it's 2004.

I have a final exam tomorrow and then I have to get ready for an art show, so I won't have time to think about SOE all day. :crack:

Crap, I should study! :ohmy:

Last edited:
Trevgreg's initial standouts on first complete listen, minus the bonus tracks...

Love is All We Have Left, The Little Things, The Showman

Downloaded on Amazon...listening to GOOYOW and & onto American Soul. Good so far but not blown away by the album...YET :)

Still nothing here on my iTunes.

8XgEOyZ.png

Last edited:
Strange...I'm assuming you tried restarting iTunes? I see it in mine for the Deluxe & Regular for download.

Yeah, restart and click on different pages, if necessary, to refresh it and such. I've done that in the past when things weren't showing up right away or was trying to see a new release of some sort available.

Something was glitched with my order. I guess my order never really went through on my PC or something. I was able to reorder on my phone and the tracks began to download instantly.

But now I'm in tears because I just finished the album. Wow. Wow indeed.

Something was glitched with my order. I guess my order never really went through on my PC or something. I was able to reorder on my phone and the tracks began to download instantly.

But now I'm in tears because I just finished the album. Wow. Wow indeed.

I am glad with all the issues you had it was worth the wait for you!

At least I hope they are happy tears :)

Based off of my first listen...

I like it. It didn't blow me away, but it is pretty good. It definitely will not surpass Pop as my favorite album, but it's solid. I really liked Summer of Love and Red Flag Day. Those are probably my favorites at the moment. The Showman and Lights of Home I also liked a lot. The Showman doesn't really sound like a U2 song, but it's very good. I still like Best Thing, GOOYOW, and The Blackout a lot. American Soul is solid. I heard Little Things for the first time and thought it was pretty solid as well. I could see it growing on me. Love Is All We Have Left was interesting.

It's odd that 13 also uses old lyrics, just like American Soul, but it is kind of an interesting song. It's moody and melancholy. Not sure what to think of it yet. Landlady and Love Is Bigger did not stand out to me, but they might grow on me over time. I definitely didn't dislike them. Book of the Heart (the deluxe track) was definitely my least favorite based off my first listen. I'll have to see if that is the case in the future. The Crystal Ballroom bored me the first time I heard it, but now I like it more than most of the songs on SOI!

Overall, I wish the end had a bit more of a thump. The last two songs are a bit of a end to the album. Though I can't say I'm surprised since every U2 album ends with a slower song. The middle part of the album was pretty awesome and is what I want to relisten to the most right now.

I'll post a second opinion in a week or so. Who knows what I will think of this album in the months to come. There was a time when SOI was my least favorite U2 album. Now it's my sixth favorite (I think).

So yeah, I like it. Not much more I can say cause I've only heard it once.

First listen....pardon the randomness of my first impressions!

1) Love is all we have left: Wow, was not expecting this from the fan reviews in terms of sound. Absolutely love this. After The Miracle from SOI, which is the only song that I regularly skip on that album, this is such a welcome change.
2) Lights of Home: Great background vocals and vocal effects and really loving the guitar on this one. I think this will be a grower but has potential....
3) Best Thing: Somehow sounds better on the album within the flow and I already like it but not a great U2 song by any means, especially some of the lyrics.
4) GOOYOW: Already liked this song, agree with others this needed a better ending but happy with the song.
5) American Soul: There's been a lot of talk about this next song. I like the energy and guitar on this one along with background vocals but lyrically doesn't do anything. The Elevation of this album.
6) Summer of Love: Oh. My. This song is EVERYTHING. I can't believe how awesome this was. Has a sinister vibe to it...I was worried you guys referenced 'a man a woman' (not that I hate that song) but this is a special song. And that last minute is just :drool::drool::drool::drool:
7) Red Flag Day: I love War so this song is a modern version of "like a song" Great song!!!! I'll listen to this all day.
8)The Showman: I like this a lot, insanely catchy. It doesn't sound like U2. Will be awesome live
9) Little things: liked the live version. LOVE the studio version, classic U2 sound and lyrics remind me of JT/AB. This is the MOS of this album but I can relate to it unlike most of that album, absolute stunner. I like the fuller sound than what I heard in the live version. "I'm not a ghost now, I can see you". I can relate to this so much right now :(
10) Landlady: Gorgeous song. Bono's vocals :drool:
11) Blackout; I loved this song the first time I heard it and still love it. My U2 favorite rocker in a long time.
12) Love is bigger: I think I need to listen to this one again. The sound feels very modern pop-ish so that's throwing me off but I like the vocals and melody but not quite feeling this one.
13) 13 (there is a light). Another stunner. I can't believe how intense and hypnotic this is. Especially during the chorus with that background sound.

Deluxe:
1) Ordinary Love: Thought this was fine in the original version but actually like this a lot more in this version though happy it's not on the 'proper' album.
2) Book of your Heart: I love this song. Bono sounds like he did during the POP or AB era. Should have been on the main album!!!!!
3) Lights of Home Strings version: Okay, hearing this again in a strings version really amps up the intensity. I think I'm going to like both versions.

I really enjoyed this album after the first listen. I think it has a lot of potential and several songs are absolutely amazing already and the others may grow on me after repeated listens.

So being that this is the Holdout thread, I was waiting until I got the official cd to hear the album at a better than streaming quality. Well u2 emailed me tonight that the cds won’t be delivered until Dec 5, which I redeemed on Nov 16 from the tickets I bought. Kills me, you would think 2 weeks would be enough time to get even the redemption cd on time for release day. I really don’t want to buy a 3rd cd. We’re on a very tight budget at the house for job reasons. I know in all things in life in perspective, not a big deal, but I truly would’ve thought & hoped they would deliver on the wording in the cd redemption email which said “Please provide us with your address to ensure you are among the first to receive the album when it becomes available Dec. 1 2017.”

I love the 4 of them & their music but U2 corporate is flubbing up on so many levels including its own paid fan club big time. Extremely disappointing. I would’ve rather them sell the tickets for less money so I could have listened to the full album proper the day it comes out like I always have. This is a first, not owning the album to listen to the day it comes out. I don’t need nor want to buy a 3rd copy. I guess what I don’t have I don’t need it now...

The end is here: 1 1/2 bottles of sake later....here we go.....

The following is my FIRST impression which is likely to change (for better or worse) slightly:
Very Happy=9 or higher
liked=8 or 8.5
Disliked >5

Love is all we have left: 5 :shifty:

This song has a very "passengers" feel to it and I personally hated Passengers. But it also mixes in a bit of millennial U2 style that brings it up a little for me. Not much to sink your teeth into and this might drop into "dislike" territory.

Lights of Home: 6 :hmm:

There was nothing really memorable about this the first listen for me. I like to call these types of songs the "Last Night On Earth" tracks. Songs that I feel I should like but Im not really into. Its not bad but not....memorable. However, this was the very first listen and I have the urge to go back to it, which is a good thing.

You're The Best Thing about Me: 7.5:hmm:

I like this song. Its fun and has a lot going on in the background. I have lived with it for 3 months now and tonight when I listened to it....I still liked it. My first impression was a 6 but it grew.

Get Out of Your Own Way: 8:applaud:

Bono's vocal delivery is really good. The lyrics are solid (Lincoln is dodgy but I let it pass given its the only suspect moment). I love the chorus and the backing harmonies.

American Soul: 6 :hmm:

A lot of hate thrown at this song but its got a really cool groove. The lyrics can be suspect at times (yes, refu-jesus is either brilliant or fucking horrible and I won't argue with anyone who takes either side). Great drums...great! I don't hate it, I don't love it....its not a skip song and it plays best back to back with Get Out due to Kendrik.

Summer of Love: 8 :applaud:

Yeah...cool tune. Nice chorus and some really cool sounds going on here and I wanted more! I can see this rising in ranking for me...fun song!

Red Flag Day: 7 :applaud:

Some really cool bass and harmonies going on here. Cool lyrics too. I can see this song going up to an 8 or higher. I think the hype behind this song from both fans and reviewers (i.e. the War call backs) raised the bar and it impacted my unbiased listening. In fact, I am currently listening to it for the 2nd time right now and as I type this and its an 8 at least....but the rating of 7 sticks because this is about first impressions.

The Showman: 5 :hmm:

I really didn't find anything memorable about this. I definitely got the "Beach Boys" vibe but I also got a Wild Honey vibe and thats not good. Its not a dude but it wasn't memorable. I will say it had a very 80s vibe and they(Bono) sounded very youthful. I will be playing this more...so thats a good sign(I see this song going higher for me).

The Little Things That Give Me Away: 9.5 :love:

Well fuck me if this isn't an incredible song. The live version I felt was a 6(which isn't bad for me but isn't good). This version(plus 3/4 bottle of sake) made me tear up a little. As someone with two young children, I related to the "I wake at 4 in the morning" line and the worrying about my health and my kids. Oh, and its a fucking kick ass song with the classic U2 build up. Might go to a 10 for me.

Landlady: 8 :love:

I like this tune.I can't believe I didn't read one review from any of you about this song sounding like North and South of the River towards the ending. The lyrics are really beautiful, especially when I know they are about his wife.

Love is Bigger Than Anything in its Way: 9 :love:

Is "Love" the answer to everything? Is "Love" really bigger than anything? Well, I don't believe it is but I want to believe it is....I really do and this song gives me hope. The bird chirps at the very end are so subtle but perfect btw.

Axver....I read you wrote that that line is bad(I'm paraphrasing) because its not true. I get what you are writing and I agree with you. In fact, the old Cosmo would have not even thought twice about that lyric and thought it was ridiculous...but current Cosmo has two young children and this song hit me hard. I see the love and innocence in them and through them I get this song....I wish...no.... I want to truly believe its true that love will prevail over everything else.

13 (There is a Light): 8 :applaud:

Bono sings in a manner similar to Cedars of Lebanon and I really dislike that song (might be my least liked song of millennial U2) yet the lyrics and the sonics around this song click with me. The chorus is stolen right from Song for Someone. Fortunately, I really liked that song (1 of 2 songs that I really liked). Good tune but I don't see this going higher and only can see it going lower.

Extras:

Ordinary Love (new mix): 7

I don't like Ordinary Love but there are some cool things going on in this song and I didn't have the urge to skip it.

Book of Your Heart: 5

I was expecting this epic song but it was largely forgettable(first listen mind you). I think this is another victim of the "hype" of pre-release reviews. I also heard that "Cedars" style singing, which I don't like.

Lights of Home (Strings): 7

It had a lot going on and the lyrics of this version had the benefit of a 2nd listen (cheater) but I did like the strings a lot (I also thought the Strings version of Please was a lot better than the album cut). At first listen, this version is better than the album proper version.

You're the Best Thing Kygo: Blah....I didn't even listen to it because its just not interesting to me. I give it a 5.

The summary verdict(including previous singles): SOE proper: Very Happy
Loved: 2 liked: 6 Disliked: 0

The end is here: 1 1/2 bottles of sake later....here we go.....

The following is my FIRST impression which is likely to change (for better or worse) slightly:
Very Happy=9 or higher
liked=8 or 8.5
Disliked >5

Love is all we have left: 5 :shifty:

This song has a very "passengers" feel to it and I personally hated Passengers. But it also mixes in a bit of millennial U2 style that brings it up a little for me. Not much to sink your teeth into and this might drop into "dislike" territory.

Lights of Home: 6 :hmm:

There was nothing really memorable about this the first listen for me. I like to call these types of songs the "Last Night On Earth" tracks. Songs that I feel I should like but Im not really into. Its not bad but not....memorable. However, this was the very first listen and I have the urge to go back to it, which is a good thing.

You're The Best Thing about Me: 7.5:hmm:

I like this song. Its fun and has a lot going on in the background. I have lived with it for 3 months now and tonight when I listened to it....I still liked it. My first impression was a 6 but it grew.

Get Out of Your Own Way: 8:applaud:

Bono's vocal delivery is really good. The lyrics are solid (Lincoln is dodgy but I let it pass given its the only suspect moment). I love the chorus and the backing harmonies.

American Soul: 6 :hmm:

A lot of hate thrown at this song but its got a really cool groove. The lyrics can be suspect at times (yes, refu-jesus is either brilliant or fucking horrible and I won't argue with anyone who takes either side). Great drums...great! I don't hate it, I don't love it....its not a skip song and it plays best back to back with Get Out due to Kendrik.

Summer of Love: 8 :applaud:

Yeah...cool tune. Nice chorus and some really cool sounds going on here and I wanted more! I can see this rising in ranking for me...fun song!

Red Flag Day: 7 :applaud:

Some really cool bass and harmonies going on here. Cool lyrics too. I can see this song going up to an 8 or higher. I think the hype behind this song from both fans and reviewers (i.e. the War call backs) raised the bar and it impacted my unbiased listening. In fact, I am currently listening to it for the 2nd time right now and as I type this and its an 8 at least....but the rating of 7 sticks because this is about first impressions.

The Showman: 5 :hmm:

I really didn't find anything memorable about this. I definitely got the "Beach Boys" vibe but I also got a Wild Honey vibe and thats not good. Its not a dude but it wasn't memorable. I will say it had a very 80s vibe and they(Bono) sounded very youthful. I will be playing this more...so thats a good sign(I see this song going higher for me).

The Little Things That Give Me Away: 9.5 :love:

Well fuck me if this isn't an incredible song. The live version I felt was a 6(which isn't bad for me but isn't good). This version(plus 3/4 bottle of sake) made me tear up a little. As someone with two young children, I related to the "I wake at 4 in the morning" line and the worrying about my health and my kids. Oh, and its a fucking kick ass song with the classic U2 build up. Might go to a 10 for me.

Landlady: 8 :love:

I like this tune.I can't believe I didn't read one review from any of you about this song sounding like North and South of the River towards the ending. The lyrics are really beautiful, especially when I know they are about his wife.

Love is Bigger Than Anything in its Way: 9 :love:

Is "Love" the answer to everything? Is "Love" really bigger than anything? Well, I don't believe it is but I want to believe it is....I really do and this song gives me hope. The bird chirps at the very end are so subtle but perfect btw.

Axver....I read you wrote that that line is bad(I'm paraphrasing) because its not true. I get what you are writing and I agree with you. In fact, the old Cosmo would have not even thought twice about that lyric and thought it was ridiculous...but current Cosmo has two young children and this song hit me hard. I see the love and innocence in them and through them I get this song....I wish...no.... I want to truly believe its true that love will prevail over everything else.

13 (There is a Light): 8 :applaud:

Bono sings in a manner similar to Cedars of Lebanon and I really dislike that song (might be my least liked song of millennial U2) yet the lyrics and the sonics around this song click with me. The chorus is stolen right from Song for Someone. Fortunately, I really liked that song (1 of 2 songs that I really liked). Good tune but I don't see this going higher and only can see it going lower.

Extras:

Ordinary Love (new mix): 7

I don't like Ordinary Love but there are some cool things going on in this song and I didn't have the urge to skip it.

Book of Your Heart: 5

I was expecting this epic song but it was largely forgettable(first listen mind you). I think this is another victim of the "hype" of pre-release reviews. I also heard that "Cedars" style singing, which I don't like.

Lights of Home (Strings): 7

It had a lot going on and the lyrics of this version had the benefit of a 2nd listen (cheater) but I did like the strings a lot (I also thought the Strings version of Please was a lot better than the album cut). At first listen, this version is better than the album proper version.

You're the Best Thing Kygo: Blah....I didn't even listen to it because its just not interesting to me. I give it a 5.

The summary verdict(including previous singles): SOE proper: Very Happy
Loved: 2 liked: 6 Disliked: 0

Glad to hear mate. It’s a proper grower as well, so these will only go up

Glad to hear mate. It’s a proper grower as well, so these will only go up

Yeah, I am really eager to listen to this album again but it's nearly 3am where I am and I've drunk(or is it drank) too much to be able to keep listening.

I can already sense several of these songs growing on me. Very excited to keep listening to the album. I'll be able to give a proper review in a couple of months, once I am able to spend more time with the songs.

Stoked you got to have the moment you had during Little Things Cosmo. That's a real U2 fan moment I thought would never happen again. For a lot of us it happened this week. How cool is that?

Back
Top Bottom