SOE Holdouts until 12/1- The End is Near

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I have begun planning out my personal listening party. We have a finished basement, so on Thursday I’ll put the kids to bed and hang out with the wife for a bit and then head down to the basement at about 11:15p(I remember NLOTH pooping up on my iTunes at around 11:30p or so). I’m going to have some hot sake as that is my drink of choice and I’m going to play the album on my blue tooth speaker that I just purchased and it has a great sound to it for the cost. Lights will be dimmed and I’m going to enjoy this.....well I hope I will or I’m going to not like the album and be one of the few not on board!

Interesting. May I ask what type of speakers you have?

I have the "proper" leak, and it sounds just dandy, but as I understand, it's just 192 kbs (I don't even know if kbs is the right ... uh ... thingie to use).

Amazon is telling me my deluxe edition CDs won't be in my hands until the 6th - 8th! WTF, jerks.

Will the music on Spotify have a higher kbs-thingie than the leak that's been out? Because I want to blast that sucker properly Friday night after work.

Cori, if you need it, I can supply you with a 320kbps copy on Friday ripped straight off cd. I'd be happy to do it. Lemme know

Or the full 44.1kHz 16bit wav files - Full lossless quality if you'd like. Whatever works for ya.

The only songs I've heard off the album are Best Thing, the not-so-great-audio-live-ish Blackout video, and Get Out. Everything else will be entirely new to me, so I'm actually getting pretty excited now that I'm seeing all these positive impressions out there. I hope my cd does actually get to me on Friday. I'm gonna be in the car for quite a while on Saturday and that would be the perfect time to get to know it.

While I did listen to 30 seconds of each song, I have NOT listened to the album proper, and removed the album from my phone so as not to be tempted.

I don't think listening to 30 seconds of each song means I've caved...it's no different than listening to the podcast today and hearing them play chunks of songs, or samples any other streaming service.

Looking forward to Friday!

Trying to plan my Friday night listening experience- those who have heard it, would you recommend red wine, or a Manhattan-type cocktail (or two, three...)? I also could do a cozy Tom & Jerry if that fits the bill.

While I did listen to 30 seconds of each song, I have NOT listened to the album proper, and removed the album from my phone so as not to be tempted.

I don't think listening to 30 seconds of each song means I've caved...it's no different than listening to the podcast today and hearing them play chunks of songs, or samples any other streaming service.

Looking forward to Friday!

I don’t know Reggie, if I go home today and tell my wife I made out with 13 women but only kissed them for 30 seconds each....she would still call that cheating! Lol

Well, I hope you can make it the little over two days now. I can’t wait.

What time zone are you in? My listening “experience” will occur EST!

Trying to plan my Friday night listening experience- those who have heard it, would you recommend red wine, or a Manhattan-type cocktail (or two, three...)? I also could do a cozy Tom & Jerry if that fits the bill.

I’m doing hot Sake....if the album is good or bad, a lot of it!

I'd advise listening with headphones over speakers - there are so many tones and little sounds here and there that you may miss them, or at least not appreciate them as much, using the latter and they add a lot to the songs.

Not sure what there is to "cave" about. Caving would have been listening to the low quality Facebook recording. Listening to the new leak is essentially going to sound the same as what you'll hear in a few days when you buy the CD. Nothing to feel bad about.

You can tell the difference between a 192kbps file and a 256kbps one? Most likely any difference you're hearing with the singles is b/c the iTunes ones are "Mastered for iTunes" and this is probably a straight up CD rip. If anything the leak will sound more like what you'll hear on the CD. Though there will certainly be people on here saying how much "clearer" the CD sounds when they finally get it.

Nick - you're missing the point totally - we're all going spelunking after work on Friday then in the gloomy darkness sit in a circle and listen to album.... GEEZ! :shifty:

I don’t know Reggie, if I go home today and tell my wife I made out with 13 women but only kissed them for 30 seconds each....she would still call that cheating! Lol

Well, I hope you can make it the little over two days now. I can’t wait.

What time zone are you in? My listening “experience” will occur EST!

LOL...that's taking it to an extreme...but I haven't been back, and won't go back to the album until I get it in my hands on Friday.

I'm in Cali, so PST is where I sit!

I'm waiting!!! Want the first lesson to be in great quality (like you). I'm so so so exciteddddd!!!!!!

Interesting. May I ask what type of speakers you have?

I bought a Doss Bluetooth speaker from Amazon and it sounds great when turned up(it was $30 on sale for $20). It's not the best on the market but it sounds good and that's all I need.

I think though after reading the comments, the way to go in headphones for my first listen. This way, I get the full effect of the album the first go around.

Not sure what there is to "cave" about. Caving would have been listening to the low quality Facebook recording. Listening to the new leak is essentially going to sound the same as what you'll hear in a few days when you buy the CD. Nothing to feel bad about.
Eh, I get it... it's kinda like opening a Christmas present a few days before the holiday. Sure, the end result is the same, i.e., the album/ gift will be the same regardless of the date you receive it, but people still enjoy making an event of the planned date in question, whether it be a recognized holiday, birthday, etc. Granted, the analogy isn't completely 1:1 (e.g., the Christmas scenario, you're now "surrounded" by a bunch of people who've all suddenly started opening their present days before Xmas), and I certainly didn't hesitate to open up my "gift," but like I said... I get it. There's a certain pleasure to be had in the buildup to an album's release (e.g., impressions, reviews, interviews), all of which just help to increase (or, conversely, dampen) one's anticipation for the official release.

I did it for HTDAAB (my first time as a fan anticipating a new U2 release); can remember all the praise from reviews and the ecstatic fan feedback after the record leak, but remained steadfast. Bought the album at midnight from Walmart, took it home and made an almost ceremonial experience out of that initial listen. Unfortunately, I also remember being completely underwhelmed, and have since decided to just take 'em as they come lol.

Another holdout here. Boy is it tough, I didn't do the same with HTDAAB, NLOTH, or SOI, but by gum am I doing it this time. :up:

After I entered the fandom...

HTDAAB: Heard the leak when it came out a few weeks before. Picked up the CD the day of.
NLOTH: Aside from Boots, heard nothing until I had the CD.
SOI: Was on here for the iTunes announcement. Heard it with everyone else.
SOE: Still holding out... for now.

With the exception of TBT I’m holding out listening to any Studio versions of SOE until I get the album. mainly so I can experience SOE as a whole similarly to how I first heard SOI. As strange as the apple SOI album release went my favorite part was not having been exposed to a single for months before where that became the measuring stick of anticipation.

I'm finding it easy to wait until I can buy a physical copy (And a digital one) and have me an old fashioned listening party with high quality sound for a first listen! It helps me wait too as the reviews and comments on here have been so positive! I'm going to get the lyrics too, but not until at least three or four listens of the record to take it in first without exact lyrics in front of me.

I'm going to listen to every album from Boy to SOI over the next days including b-sides etc.

Glad I've held out and also haven't overplayed the released songs, only listened to the live Blackout twice, and Little Things maybe three times, and that was months ago, heard American Soul once, and heard all versions of best thing at least five times each. It's my new thing where I want the experience like I did years ago, when you'd not hear anything cus no internet.

My will is strong! :D

After I entered the fandom...

HTDAAB: Heard the leak when it came out a few weeks before. Picked up the CD the day of.
NLOTH: Aside from Boots, heard nothing until I had the CD.
SOI: Was on here for the iTunes announcement. Heard it with everyone else.
SOE: Still holding out... for now.

My fandom:

Zooropa: only heard Numb on the radio. Road my bike to CD City and bought the CD on the day of release.

Pop: only heard Discotheque and drove to Sam Goody at lunch and went home and listened to the album

ATYCLB: heard Beautiful Day in full and all the 30 second clips "hidden" on U2.com of the rest of the songs. I had to listen to the Walk On and Elevation clips 100x each. Drove to The Music Box at midnight and bought the album

HTDAAB: it leaked on Interference 2 weeks or so prior to the release and I downloaded every song, burned them to a CD and listened to that CD non-stop for a month. When the CD came out, I drove sometime during the day to FYE and bought it (very anticlimactic)

NLOTH: only heard boots, the alternate NLOTH and the first 30 seconds of Magnificent that was leaked via Australian Amazon. The album downloaded to iTunes just before midnight and I listened to it.

SOI: surprise release that I listened to at work

SOE: heard the 4 officially released songs(that really is a lot) and not even a snippet of the others!

I still haven't listened to the Joshua tree in full. Holding out until 50th anniversary

I haven't heard any of it either. My life is such that I can't keep up with it, but I don't want to hear it until Fri anyway. I'm hoping maybe Thurs, I think I got Atomic Bomb a day early with Amazon way back when. But probably not this time, because my tracking says it still hasn't shipped.

So I guess I have to skip the Amazon U2 experience thing today as well.

After I went mega-fan in 2001:

Bomb - Only read song descriptions before the album dropped; don't recall leaks or listening to them.

No Line - Listened to beach clips, heard Boots, then the 30-second previews, then the entire leak. By the time the CD came, the shine had worn off.

SOI - Heard U2 would be at the Apple event. We were trying desperately to battle through the terrible lag the video feed had while my dad was in double-bypass surgery. Such a good/bad stress day. I was not expecting the whole album to drop. Listened to it on my sister's iPhone in the waiting room. The one album release I'll always remember exactly where I was.

SOE - Listened to the four pre-release songs and been reading reviews like crazy. Still going to wait until CD in hand. Too close to give in now.

I'm still holding out too! After missing the initial leak I'm waiting until I have the CD in hand before listening.

I keep going back and forth on how to first experience it.. Should I use my fancy Bose noise-cancelling headphones or play the CD through a surround sound setup?!. Decisions, decisions!

I'm flying back to England on Thursday to see my family for a few days and the CD will (i assume) arrive at their house on Friday morning?? So I'm going to try and wait but since a CD rip's out there, I might cave on Thursday before my flight just so I actually pay attention to my family over the weekend. :lol:

Okay I've held out long enough, flight's tomorrow so anyone with a CD rip who wouldn't mind helping me out shoot me a PM?? :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom