SOE FAN + industry reviews only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After ten listens of SOE, I sort of understand the negative reviews. I'm not saying that this is a bad album, far from it, but it's a grower. The reviewers who are either anti u2 to begin with or do not know much of the band's extensive catalogue would have in all likelihood written their reviews after only a couple of listens. We all know that the worst thing you can do with any u2 album is to form an opinion on it after just a few listens. Had I reviewed it after one or two listens, I would have given it no more than a 5/10 but now I think it's a solid 7/10 record. It gets better with each listen.

Last edited:
Oh brother. If only all of us had Kitty's refined ear and finely honed musical tastes....for things like Taylor Swift, apparently. If this were court her review should be deemed inadmissible, based on her "tastes".

I actually know someone in the industry who works with her. She's known as an insufferable poser who doesn't even listen in full to the albums she reviews. She's primarily chasing an image in a bid to appeal to certain kind of people. She's the worst type of critic and the kind that gives them a bad name.

After ten listens of SOE, I sort of understand the negative reviews. I'm not saying that this is a bad album, far from it, but it's a grower. The reviewers who are either anti u2 to begin with or do not know much of the band's extensive catalogue would have in all likelihood written their reviews after only a couple of listens. We all know that the worst thing you can do with any u2 album is to form an opinion on it after just a few listens. Had I reviewed it after one or two listens, I would have given it no more than a 5/10 but now I think it's a solid 7/10 record. It gets better with each listen.
Interestingly the big cheese song, Love is Bigger, has been one of the biggest growers for me. It was just too cheesy on the first few listens. Kinda sounded like Beyonce's Halo or some other giant pop ballad.
On further listens it has gone way up in my estimation. In large part because I've learned the lyrics.

Glad you're enjoying it

Interestingly the big cheese song, Love is Bigger, has been one of the biggest growers for me. It was just too cheesy on the first few listens. Kinda sounded like Beyonce's Halo or some other giant pop ballad.
On further listens it has gone way up in my estimation. In large part because I've learned the lyrics.

On first listen I really liked it but on further listens, when I can focus on all the other sounds going on and the lyrics....I love it. It is a wonderful addition to the U2 catalog.

Ok, so I've been a lurker here for a while but have never posted. :wave: I felt compelled to comment based on a few of the songs off the new album. While I've always been a fan of everything they've put out - some albums more than others - SOE for some reason has just been sticking with me for the past few days more than any of their other recent albums (2000ish on). I heard the leaked version and woke up with some of the songs in my head (namely Summer of Love and Red Flag Day), which hasn't happened to me in a while with their albums. I probably shouldn't pay attention to them, but some of the negative reviews that have been out there and posted here.. I don't think are really capturing the thought and backstories into the lyrics for this album, as others have pointed out. Honestly, Little Things, which I saw them do live over the summer at MetLife, is the one that's been moving me the most. My dad was diagnosed with cancer almost a year ago and just those lyrics... "the end is near".. really, really get to me. That buildup towards the end of the song is just amazing and very moving to me.

Agree with many others that Red Flag Day is a standout song as well. I hope they play it on SNL tonight, but I feel like American Soul might be one of the songs. They posted a video of them rehearsing the song on their Instagram account a few days ago. It's not awful, but IMO, there's just so many better songs on the album for them to display tonight.

Another thing that I've been thinking about, and not sure if I've seen it mentioned so maybe it's just me?! But the first few seconds of Blackout kind of remind me of the first few seconds of Zoo Station just a bit?

I wonder who decided which songs they would do on SNL. I thought they picked two of the weakest songs on the album. Nevertheless, they still can really make the best of any song in a live setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom