SOE FAN + industry reviews only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Q have 5 starred so many U2 albums that haven't deserved it that they have become industry fanboys instead of subjective viewers.

Honestly they'd become a running joke.

Obviously someone upstairs has directed no more than 4 stars. Why does the reviewer spend so long talking about The Best Thing which we've all heard and doesn t mention half the tracks.

Poor all around

The reviewer’s gushing about Best Thing and even comparing the chorus to Joshua Tree is all you need to know about the weight this review carries. Which is none.

Still cool it was posted.

So far the two “official” reviews we have are:

Uncut- 6/10
Q-8/10

Both of those are the same as Songs of Innocence and both are lower than NLOTH (Q gave it 10/10 and Uncut 8/10).

Q giving NLOTH a 10/10 really puts a different spin on their SOE review.

Q giving NLOTH a 10/10 really puts a different spin on their SOE review.

:) 100% I wouldn't give nloth 5/10 now. But when it was released I did love it. Just hasn't stood the test of time

I'm sure U2 will work with Eno and Lanois again, if they can still stomach U2. They needed a break from them every couple of records.

If they did this and made SoA their last release, I would be more than happy with that.

I think that, barring anything unforeseen happening, we’ll have one more after this. Probably after a break from touring in 2018/19.

But in the meantime, we are days away from a new U2 record. So excited!

If they had replaced 'Stand Up Comedy' with 'Winter' and replaced 'Boots' with 'Soon'...and dropped 'Crazy Tonight', it would have been a classic album, up there with The Unforgettable Fire and Zooropa.

Totally disagree but each to their own :)

If they did this and made SoA their last release, I would be more than happy with that.

I think that, barring anything unforeseen happening, we’ll have one more after this. Probably after a break from touring in 2018/19.

But in the meantime, we are days away from a new U2 record. So excited!

That Brazil interview shows they are still interested in more albums.

If they had replaced 'Stand Up Comedy' with 'Winter' and replaced 'Boots' with 'Soon'...and dropped 'Crazy Tonight', it would have been a classic album, up there with The Unforgettable Fire and Zooropa.

My version has that plus Disappearing Act between MOS and UC.

Looks like next week is the real review time, though I would consider the below a fan review:

https://twitter.com/U2_News/status/931924395735560192

Neil McCormick‏Verified account
@neil_mccormick
5h5 hours ago
More
Replying to @U2_News
I will indeed be reviewing before release

Last edited:
The War callback and the backing vocals by the Edge.
Yes, it's interesting to hear it's a War callback. Funnily enough, this was the description for some of the SOI songs before it came out. Adam Clayton had even said it was like the old U2 style done by the modern U2, employing all the tricks they'd learned over a few decades. Sings such as Raised By Wolves, Volcano, and Reach Me, certainly had that old school flow to them anyway.

Last edited:
I love Reach, Wolves and Volcano but wish they'd been produced in the War style. They're so weak in comparison to what they ought to have been. I hope that the new War style song has more of that punch to it

I love Reach, Wolves and Volcano but wish they'd been produced in the War style. They're so weak in comparison to what they ought to have been. I hope that the new War style song has more of that punch to it

I think Reach Me is a fantastic song that maybe could have had more rawness to it but on the whole I found it very satisfying. Raised By Wolves showed it's grit in a live setting but similar to Volcano, on record it was tame in comparison. Volcano especially is a big disappointment. What Paul Epworth is doing producing a song like that, well god knows. Aside from the excellent mix of Ordinary Love he produced he should probably stick to simple, mum friendly, background warblings like Adele.

I think Reach Me is a fantastic song that maybe could have had more rawness to it but on the whole I found it very satisfying. Raised By Wolves showed it's grit in a live setting but similar to Volcano, on record it was tame in comparison. Volcano especially is a big disappointment. What Paul Epworth is doing producing a song like that, well god knows. Aside from the excellent mix of Ordinary Love he produced he should probably stick to simple, mum friendly, background warblings like Adele.
Don't get the hate for volcano at all, the bass and drums are sound amazing.

Personally, War is distinct with the powerful drums and the classic coke guitars. Give me the U2ey rock n roll please!
In some ways, the sporadic use of snare drums and general percussion - as well as industrial guitar - of Achtung Baby harkens back to the spirit of War, albeit on a much grander and complex scale. Like a spliced up, funked up, electro-War, if that makes any sense. War scratches at some of the romanticism more profoundly explored on Achtung Baby as well, though not on such a personal level (a much broader, sort of wide-eyed romanticism). There is a sort of romantically personal, almost furious furver, found on Achtung Baby that mimics the romantic - yet furious - somewhat politically driven furver found on War. There is definitely a connection between the two albums that runs deeper than simply the band that made them. I believe this is the element - the urgency behind that romantic ferver - that so many U2 fans seem to be missing with the post-2000s U2.

Last edited:
My version has that plus Disappearing Act between MOS and UC.

Not sure what a track recorded in 1984 save for the vocal has to do with No Line, but ok.

Don't get the hate for volcano at all, the bass and drums are sound amazing.

I understand why people think it's dumb and might be annoyed by the lyrics, but I'd rather have something more goofy like that then the preachy, wordy lyrics on other recent tracks, and aside from the vocals I don't see how one can deny the muscularity of the music itself. I'm not hearing a tameness in Epworth's production.

Volcano is great and if it was on the prior three albums it would have stood out even more in terms of its energy and adventurous spirit. I am in the minority in thinking SOI was more daring than the prior 2000 period albums and Volcano was just one example.

Not sure what a track recorded in 1984 save for the vocal has to do with No Line, but ok.

I understand why people think it's dumb and might be annoyed by the lyrics, but I'd rather have something more goofy like that then the preachy, wordy lyrics on other recent tracks, and aside from the vocals I don't see how one can deny the muscularity of the music itself. I'm not hearing a tameness in Epworth's production.

I agree with all this. I will take somewhat nonsense lyrics, You Are RocknRoll, Mole diggin in a hole, etc... on the more rake songs than talking about grace and community and dreams, etc...
Volcano whoops American Soul. Don’t hate American Soul, but at the bottom of the pack of what we’ve heard so far.

Spot on,it sounds anything but tame.

Volcano is great and if it was on the prior three albums it would have stood out even more in terms of its energy and adventurous spirit. I am in the minority in thinking SOI was more daring than the prior 2000 period albums and Volcano was just one example.

I agree about its spirit and somewhat with its daring. I think ATYCLB has its daring parts. They were coming off of POP after all. And it was a very different sound than anything before. Even if it was more... tame.

No line definitely had its daring moments as well.

Bomb, not so much

I’m not sure it’s the daring of SOI I love. But how I think that they finally put together a great hybrid of old and new sounds and made it sound bright and fresh. And added some new sounds to the pallet.

Last edited:
It’s been out over three years but to me SOI never gets boring. I think you described it well. I might be coming from a different place than most with SOE. SOI sets a high bar. I think most reviewers will have the mindset that “well it’s better than SOI at least...”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom