SOE 34: If there is a leak, don't let it go unheard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard the stream 3 times last night. Not gonna listen to it again for a few days. Revisit and see what I think.

For now, i am pretty blown away. I definitely see why pretty much every single person who listened to the album early was saying it was their best in 15, 20 or more years.

You know, I was thinking the same thing this morning. I heard it, and I don't regret it one bit. It's good enough for you to be able to make out the song's qualities and layers, and the good thing is that you will appreciate the songs you like even more when you hear the HQ version.

Plus, the rationalisation (let's call it what it is), I used was that who knows in these uncertain times whether I will get to see next friday. When it's there, why not grab it?

That was my rationality also...better listen while Net Neutrality is still a thing. Whatever rationalizes it for you. :wink:

lol what, I post plenty of positive things here about U2's music and not only do people only concentrate on the negative, but now they're making things up...

Anyway, a question for dabiggestU2fan - how and where did you hear Book of your heart?

Rob streamed the bonus songs twice yesterday but was on the phone and couldn’t record it.

Ordinary love is not much different than the original. Maybe a little more Umph to it.

Book of your heart - is simply stunning! I don’t know how to describe it other than it’s a direction I wish they continue on.

The light (st Peter string) in my opinion is much better than the original. Someone here mentioned it sounds like a song Radiohead would do and I kina agree. IMO they should have put the string one on the album and the other as the bonus. I think this would have worked better following love is all we have left.

lol what, I post plenty of positive things here about U2's music and not only do people only concentrate on the negative, but now they're making things up...

Anyway, a question for dabiggestU2fan - how and where did you hear Book of your heart?

was i wrong about the notification sound effects? no? well then :D

(god you're so easy to tease :lol:)

U2: “We really want to push Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way. Make sure to call it epic when you leak it.”

U2: "There's this guy name Tom that the band really wants you to thank. Can you make it sound like an organic sentiment? Also there are some assholes on interference we want you to call out.."

was i wrong about the notification sound effects? no? well then :D

(god you're so easy to tease :lol:)

I mentioned it just as a curious question, I never said it ruined the album for me lol.

Yep I'm easy to tease, I'm a sensitive soul, I will try to lie down lol.

The notifications thing was doing my head in when listening to the album on headphones earlier, thought I was going insane until the penny dropped.

I mentioned it just as a curious question, I never said it ruined the album for me lol.

Yep I'm easy to tease, I'm a sensitive soul, I will try to lie down lol.

yeah, i was only pulling your leg :hug:

That was my rationality also...better listen while Net Neutrality is still a thing. Whatever rationalizes it for you. :wink:

I never understood all of the people that feel guilty for listening a leak ahead of album release. Four years later you won’t know the difference and won’t remember your first listen. If anything, if you do remember it’s because you heard it BEFORE the album came out and it was fantastic and an adrenaline rush.

It “ruins” it for you? Really? This is just a weird reaction that shows you are actively looking for something to dislike about it.

i think ruined is a bit too harsh. Yes it's similar but the lyrical changes and the production are different enough for it to stand alone as another track. It helps that it's the last track on the album too

I've had my first listen to the album and i'm very pleased with what I heard. They sound like a band who are in a great place, happy and writing great songs

The Little Things is a masterpiece and should be played in every live show going forward it's really that good. The Showman and 13 are the weaker tracks on SOE but in time i'm sure i'll love them just as much as the others.

I would swap the blackout with Summer of Love just purely as it's after a mellow song, would fit better on the first half of the record.

Standout tracks after first listen are:

Lights of Home
Summer of Love
Red Flag Day
Little Things
Love Is Bigger Than Anything It It's Way

if you love u2 ballads then you'll like Landlady and 13

All in all it's a brilliant collection of songs and stands up as a great album. Their best since HTDAAB

I kinda wish Little Things and Love Is Bigger were switched around in the track order. Little Things works very well as a closer, yeah I know it would be second to last, but it would feel like Little Things AND 13 are both the closers one after another. It doesn't seem right to me at track 9.

Good studio version though anyway (except the facebook notification sounds :D)

Wow

Blown away, gorgeous record. A few observations..
1. Atmosphere and layers are back and with great use of space. Always when they are at their best.
2. Bono has not sounded better in I don’t know how long. Kind of shocked honestly in how good he sounds. Problem is I don’t think he will be able to duplicate live night in night out.
3. Edge sound different in a good way. He has managed to come up with some uniqueness but without being cheesy. There are also some moments of real restraint which I think can transform live into some epic stuff. I just hope he doesn’t hold back.
4. The slow and mellow moments and songs are crazy good. Goosebump good. Kind of what I expected Songs of Ascent was going to be.
5. Blown away by Little Things. It is so much better than what we heard live. I hope they find a way to duplicate it.

he's streaming it again right now on facebook live
Lolz

Guys guys, the fuck are you doing recording the album????? Can't you wait a week?!?!?!?

I'ma stream it again now.

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom