SOE 32: let there be no leak puns..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
American Soul is a cute little rock song that would add a shot of energy to an album, but that's about it. Not single material. Volcano was better - and that was one of the weakest tracks on SOI.

I think this strategy is brilliant. Promote the album with weaker songs (not that they are bad) and then get legs for the next 6 months with the stronger stuff

Haha riiiiiiight.

Everything is about the mainstream. Superficial pop followed by superficial rock aimed for the masses. I presume a ballad is next. This isn’t a criticism necessarily, it’s just their approach is rather transparent. I do enjoy AS more than most it seems.

Haha riiiiiiight.

Everything is about the mainstream. Superficial pop followed by superficial rock aimed for the masses. I presume a ballad is next. This isn’t a criticism necessarily, it’s just their approach is rather transparent. I do enjoy AS more than most it seems.

Do you have anything new or original to contribute?

My brother heard AS for the first time today and was really excited about it! He's a big fan, but doesnt lurk on forums. He was surprised when I told him that seems to be the one everybody hates.

I still haven't heard it. I've already heard TBT, Blackout (only the video version) and Little Things live. Saving the rest for the albums release.

My brother heard AS for the first time today and was really excited about it! He's a big fan, but doesnt lurk on forums. He was surprised when I told him that seems to be the one everybody hates.

I still haven't heard it. I've already heard TBT, Blackout (only the video version) and Little Things live. Saving the rest for the albums release.
I don't think more people hate it than like it.

Same here. It'll be interesting to see how it really sounds after everyone has been bashing it for several weeks. I really don't put much stock in what people around here say because they hate everything made after 2000.

Same here. It'll be interesting to see how it really sounds after everyone has been bashing it for several weeks. I really don't put much stock in what people around here say because they hate everything made after 2000.
I've hated on this song fairly strongly, but I'm really only hating on the lyrics. Mostly I can ignore the lyrics that jarr. Still trying on this one.
Honestly, it's a cool groove, it sounds confident, has swagger, got a mean kick drum pulsing through it. I hope you like it. Certainly don't be put off by lyric-snob-literature-majors like me!

I'll go on record for my opinion that AS is a solid song. The chorus is the bridge from volcano, which probably gave most everyone a bad first impression. That, and REFUJESUS.

I've hated on this song fairly strongly, but I'm really only hating on the lyrics. Mostly I can ignore the lyrics that jarr. Still trying on this one.
Honestly, it's a cool groove, it sounds confident, has swagger, got a mean kick drum pulsing through it. I hope you like it. Certainly don't be put off by lyric-snob-literature-majors like me!
I'm a Lit major too... but somehow lyrics don't really affect me as much. I kind of think standards are different for poetry as opposed to songs, and within songs they are different for rock songs and ballads, and so on.

Dont get me wrong, I do appreciate great lyrics such as in ASOH, RTSS, So Cruel. Neither am I saying that rock lyrics need to be bad -- just that there is much more leeway and it is about how the sounds of the words along with the music make you feel. The only exception I can think of where I violently object to u2 lyrics is CFYT.

Cricket. Being Scottish I have to agree, because it is our duty, I mean.. it's just rounders played by men wearing bits of stormtrooper armour and woolly jumpers and funny crash helmets and takes weeks... :shifty:

Mate you should get behind your cricket team some more, they gave mine a brief scare at the last Cricket World Cup.

Though I will say Afghanistan's last-wicket victory over Scotland in the same tournament is one of the most amazing moments I've seen in any sport.

Scotland is a good team in need of more support. Ireland will start making waves pretty soon, so glad Afghanistan and Ireland have been given Test status

Scotland is a good team in need of more support. Ireland will start making waves pretty soon, so glad Afghanistan and Ireland have been given Test status

:up:

Really it's outrageous Ireland didn't get Test status a decade ago. Or that Kenya got so little support after their stunning effort at the 2003 World Cup that they're now of no consequence in global cricket.

But Afghanistan's rise has been unbelievable. I love it so much. I hope they are soon at the point that they can defeat the top countries - even if that means that New Zealand will probably end up being one of the first to lose to them.

They've already beaten Bangladesh twice, I think. I think they have that inexplicable fund of talent that, like Pakistan, is impervious to lack of facilities and political upheaval.

New Zealand on the other hand always amazes me with the teams they put up with the population and level of interest that you guys have. Consistently my second favourite team.

Back
Top Bottom