SOE 32: let there be no leak puns..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I disagree. I've mentioned this sampling thing ONCE before, to which I was jumped on straight away. It then turned into a whole messy debate of "let's jump on this guy because he has an opinion that we find ridiculous". It made me feel quite insulted tbh. My opinion is no more ridiculous than many others on here. Opinions are opinions and this is a message board. If you don't wanna read opinions, or feel the need to insult someone because of their opinions, then forums are gonna be a very draining experience for you. I'm not singling out the person I'm quoting here, it's happened with many members.

The broken record is the attitudes of certain members here. It's a form of bullying tbh, it's supposed to be discussion, not throwing personal insults at people who don't share your opinion.

Also, I didn't realise I have a limited right to receive reasonable responses. I'm not nasty to anyone. I get mad yes, but that's when other people jump on me. The other guy disagreed with me, but at least he did it in a respectful way.

As said, this is a forum, and its a given that you're gonna see opinions you don't agree with. Just be respectful, that's all I'm asking. There's even a guy who hates acronyms and tells people to stop using them. I dunno if he is part-joking here, but acronyms are gonna happen, this is a forum, people aren't gonna stop using acronyms just for one person's annoyance.

I've seen it loads here, people just shit on each other all the time, and it's depressing to read.

I never mentioned chords either btw.

Then people make assumptions about what I apparently like or dislike. And make things up to try and make me look 'wrong'. For example, I still said I enjoy Do You Feel Loved. But you've said weird things like I must have not enjoyed ANYTHING since the 70's.

Only a handful of U2 songs use non-subtle samples. The rest either use very subtle samples, or none at all.

Here's my final word and request:
Instead of people trying to pick my logic apart with meticulous bullcrap, why don't they just, ya know, treat me with respect from now on? Please? I have severe depression in real life, and this place is supposed to be respite, but all I ever see is people being harsh to one another.

In all sincerity, I truly do have sympathy for you and your condition - depression is a terrible thing, and I don’t mean you any harm or ill will.

You are being called out and questioned because of a constant negativity that is beyond reason (you say once in your post, I can count five times with just a quick glance at your recent post history). No modern artist releases anything that is not heavily influenced by someone else, and in fairness, has probably been done before (riffs, chord progressions, lyrics). I don’t understand why you would let this bother you about a band you obviously love very much, especially when we are largely talking about them borrowing from themselves.

Why do you assume this means unoriginality? Why do you draw final conclusions when you don’t know the full picture? The Volcano callback could easily be a deliberate, thematic link - Volcano is about youthful anger, American Soul is about the same anger from the perspective of adulthood.

Someone here mentioned that Blake uses similar lines, cadences, themes to draw the distinction between a younger and older self viewing similar circumstances. That is very artistically rich material, and I get the impression that is what they are going for here. Whether they achieve that aim is a different discussion from the one you keep raising, which is an entirely personal (and seemingly unique to you) barrier to enjoying music from a band you love.

Well the bass line at the start of EBW is a blatant rip-off of WOWY so on that basis the one supposed classic song on SOI is also a fail.
Haha yep! That chord sequence combined with driving bassline on the root notes appears constantly with U2.
Miracle Drug and Get Out of Your Own Way spring to mind immediately

This place is ridiculous. Just full of rude people.

I can never voice my opinion on here without getting talked down on. I don't even post much, and when I do, with my own damn opinion that I'm entitled to, I get posts like this. It's not good enough. It's extremely depressing.

I just want to voice my opinion, on a U2 forum, without constantly being talked down to.

The struggle is real...

Attachments

• daily affirmation.jpg
    daily affirmation.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 84
Well the bass line at the start of EBW is a blatant rip-off of WOWY so on that basis the one supposed classic song on SOI is also a fail.

Wat? So four different notes, played eight times each = rip-off of WOWY? Huh.

A C# E B aren’t the some notes or shape as WOWY (D A B G).

By this logic every four chord song is a rip off of WOWY.

Dammit by Blink-182 is the same progression in a different key. It’s genetically closer to WOWY than EBW. I’ve never heard anyone claim it is a rip-off...

Last edited:
In all sincerity, I truly do have sympathy for you and your condition - depression is a terrible thing, and I don’t mean you any harm or ill will.

You are being called out and questioned because of a constant negativity that is beyond reason (you say once in your post, I can count five times with just a quick glance at your recent post history). No modern artist releases anything that is not heavily influenced by someone else, and in fairness, has probably been done before (riffs, chord progressions, lyrics). I don’t understand why you would let this bother you about a band you obviously love very much, especially when we are largely talking about them borrowing from themselves.

Why do you assume this means unoriginality? Why do you draw final conclusions when you don’t know the full picture? The Volcano callback could easily be a deliberate, thematic link - Volcano is about youthful anger, American Soul is about the same anger from the perspective of adulthood.

Someone here mentioned that Blake uses similar lines, cadences, themes to draw the distinction between a younger and older self viewing similar circumstances. That is very artistically rich material, and I get the impression that is what they are going for here. Whether they achieve that aim is a different discussion from the one you keep raising, which is an entirely personal (and seemingly unique to you) barrier to enjoying music from a band you love.

Ahh it's ok man, and you know what, I think I need to calm down. Things affect me way too much on here, and in life in general, like I take things to heart too much and take things too personally.

Ahh it's ok man, and you know what, I think I need to calm down. Things affect me way too much on here, and in life in general, like I take things to heart too much and take things too personally.

Sometimes things get far too personal on here - but it pays to remember (especially in this situation) no matter what the method or technique being used by people calling you out - their ultimate aim is to get you past a mental block that is preventing you from enjoying u2 - surely that fits in the category of cruel to be kind

I would like each SOE track compared against another U2 song. I mean hey why not.

That would be cool to see. But even the ones I know and have listened two on repeat I have a hard time.

Get Out is easy. Invisible and BD has a baby.
TBT is tough... Sweetest Thing meets ABOY??
Blackout - Magnificent and Zoo Station... (???)

I am interested in knowing the feel of Landlady. I remember someone saying it was a little more brooding or sinister or something like that. So my hopes were high. This listener really doesn’t like it... so we’ll see

This listener really doesn’t like it... so we’ll see

I'm not worried about that, as that same listener ranked American Soul high, which I hate, so it's all opinion, I'm sure the band love the song because they put it on the album.

I'm not worried about that, as that same listener ranked American Soul high, which I hate, so it's all opinion, I'm sure the band love the song because they put it on the album.

Axver haters One and Ultraviolet... some people just have bad taste! Maybe Landlady is the best song on the album

I️ kept thinking about how lame it was to have the band sample a Haim song but I️ saw this video of the lead singer come out and smash drums with the killers.

I️ kept thinking about how lame it was to have the band sample a Haim song but I️ saw this video of the lead singer come out and smash drums with the killers.

I see you are having the same "I" issue with iPhone that I(and millions) are :)

True. That’s my hope. I also don’t like American Soul. And it has nothing to do with the Volcano bit.
Makes me a bit sad. It ranks below my least favorite SOI songs (Miracle and SFS).
I hope Landlady at least beats those.

This was actually one of the best bits of news about the new album to me. Love Haim and I like it when U2 does some out of the ordinary stuff like this.
Hoping the song is a strong one!

Yikes. Ranking the released songs in the 7-8 range knocks everything down a peg for me. Blackout within 1 of U2’s classics? Come on. Expectations are firmly modest for a variety of reasons.

The Blackout, for my money, is absolutely right up there with the U2 classics.

The interpretation of this being a pop album might be what Flanagan was getting at by saying it won’t be liked or understood by a lot of people but will grow in stature over time. SOI was great for me as there were a lot of non-traditional elements and wouldn’t dismiss it as safe so if the consensus so far is that SOE is better, that’s great to hear.

I loved SOI as well. And frankly, although this is anecdotal, i can’t remember the last U2 album that so many people of multiple generations, who were just very casual U2 fans or hadn’t thought about them in years, and who actually listened to the album due to it being placed on their iPhone, remarked very positively about the album. We’re talking from 18 years old to 70 years old. The album connected with A LOT of people.

I loved SOI as well. And frankly, although this is anecdotal, i can’t remember the last U2 album that so many people of multiple generations, who were just very casual U2 fans or hadn’t thought about them in years, and who actually listened to the album due to it being placed on their iPhone, remarked very positively about the album. We’re talking from 18 years old to 70 years old. The album connected with A LOT of people.

My 8 year old son loves SOI. Raised by Wolves is his favorite. He knows a lot of the lyrics to many of the songs. Proud Papa...and proves your point about the wide appeal of the album.

Bah haha! I don't care about sampling music whatsoever, but seriously... What then about the members that continually and obstinately make the same point about hating new U2, post 2000's U2, pop, etc... Any Era of U2? My lord when The Best Thing was released some of the more active users here jumped into every possible discussion to piss on the new song with the same obstinate point again and again. Hell, I see long time users here trash some of the most universally acclaimed and beloved U2 songs every chance they get. Are you and others calling them out for the same obstinate argument?

I've said it a few times in the last few days-this places seems to get less and less welcoming to newer members and those that don't constantly participate here as time goes by. It's becoming more evident as more are visiting this site in anticipation for SOE. Very sad for a U2 forum.

Exactly right. I said it before, but many U2 fans who don’t post here call this place the “U2 Hate Forum”. That’s its reputation.

It's most likely not going to be much better than SOI. SOI is actually a really good record.

I'm ok with that as my expectations for this record has been very low to start off with. With every release from Pop until SOI, I honestly believed and hoped that they had another AB/JT quality record left in them and had been disappointed with every record during that period due to my high and unrealistic expectations of the band. Now that I have accepted the fact that they are well and truly past their best, an album as good as SOI would not be too bad.

Last edited:
I'm ok with that as my expectations for this record has been very low to start off with. With every release between Pop until SOI, I honestly believed and hoped that they had another AB/JT quality record left in them and had been disappointed with every record during that period due to my high and unrealistic expectations of the band. Now that I have accepted the fact that they are well and truly past their best, an album as good as SOI would not be too bad.

It's safer that way, so if they do another JT/AB it would be an amazing surprise, if not then there's probably another 5-7 songs that you might like or love to add to the catalog. 2 reviewers seem to emphasize Red Flag Day. We also need to realize that we are not musicians (or most of us aren't) and we don't know the pressure it takes to hit a home run every album.

Last edited:
This place is ridiculous. Just full of rude people.

I can never voice my opinion on here without getting talked down on. I don't even post much, and when I do, with my own damn opinion that I'm entitled to, I get posts like this. It's not good enough. It's extremely depressing.

I just want to voice my opinion, on a U2 forum, without constantly being talked down to.
I agree, this place is a complete circle jerk. You will be called a broken record for stating an opinion about U2 but the regulars go on for like 4 threads about sticking bananas up their butts and think it's hilarious. I just want info on new U2 and have to slog through pages of that Jr. High humor to get to it. At least you're on topic.

Now they're talking about Bruce Springsteen. That should go on for another 3 threads. I hope it leaks soon, so I don't have to keep wading through all the unfunny. Cheers to you though, let's keep talking about U2, that's what I'm here for too.

Exactly right. I said it before, but many U2 fans who don’t post here call this place the “U2 Hate Forum”. That’s its reputation.

I’ve been on this forum for 17 years and I get along just fine with new and old members.
Even if I’ve taken a year or so away. I think it’s easy to come in new and blame everyone else for how your posts are received. But just know that you have to ease in a little.

I also think that being one of the largest and longest running forums, you have a group of people that have “known” each other for a long time and with that can come some squabbles, but we move on and respect each other.

Jarvis was a good example. He may have been put off a bit at first, but after actually having a conversation and admitting he may have taken some things too personally, he went up like 50 points in my eyes. We all have times of taking things wrong or whatever.

There isn’t another forum with this much activity, as much in depth discussion, humor, U2 knowledge, contacts, etc...

I always thought @U2 was the “hate forum” cause it seemed like most people there hated any new U2 stuff. Didn’t see the point of being part of that.

I’d just try to not take the bait on back and forth arguements of no consequence.

Ps. Also wouldn’t come into a forum and then berate it by calling it the hate forum... :huh:

I agree, this place is a complete circle jerk. You will be called a broken record for stating an opinion about U2 but the regulars go on for like 4 threads about sticking bananas up their butts and think it's hilarious. I just want info on new U2 and have to slog through pages of that Jr. High humor to get to it. At least you're on topic.

Now they're talking about Bruce Springsteen. That should go on for another 3 threads. I hope it leaks soon, so I don't have to keep wading through all the unfunny. Cheers to you though, let's keep talking about U2, that's what I'm here for too.
Objectively, you do sound like you need a cuddle.
Look I get it. I'm a 15-year veteran of this site. I see you're similar. We've both posted less than 1000 times. We're lurkers and infrequent posters.
But I really love the community that's developed here. All prickly and messy and supportive and abusive and knowledgeable and hyoerbolic all mixed together.
I consider myself to be an obsessive mega fan of U2. Yet most of the people who I preume you're berating know and care as much or more than me.

That's what makes this place so special. There is no moderated box mentality of how people must talk. Banana butt jokes are fine. Hating U2 songs or albums is fine. Posting pics of fat Bono is fine. It's a bit of an anarchy but with an incredible and deep U2 knowledge and appreciation.

Try enjoying it instead, as it is, banana jokes and all. Or maybe just get yourself that cuddle.

I've been a member of this forum since Feb of 2001. I have never felt this was a "hate forum". Sure, there's always people bitching about something, myself included sometimes. But this forum wouldn't exist if everybody just agreed that every single thing U2 did was perfect and top notch. Friendly debating is good. Some people just can't take the heat! I've had disagreements on here, but I never felt anybody was particularly rude (save for a few).

I sometimes go back to my earliest threads from 2001-2002, when I was 18-19. Ugh, that stuff is quite cringeworthy to read. I went through an era where I was clearly having girl problems... no wonder, I was being a little bitch!

Last edited:
Objectively, you do sound like you need a cuddle.
Look I get it. I'm a 15-year veteran of this site. I see you're similar. We've both posted less than 1000 times. We're lurkers and infrequent posters.
But I really love the community that's developed here. All prickly and messy and supportive and abusive and knowledgeable and hyoerbolic all mixed together.
I consider myself to be an obsessive mega fan of U2. Yet most of the people who I preume you're berating know and care as much or more than me.

That's what makes this place so special. There is no moderated box mentality of how people must talk. Banana butt jokes are fine. Hating U2 songs or albums is fine. Posting pics of fat Bono is fine. It's a bit of an anarchy but with an incredible and deep U2 knowledge and appreciation.

Try enjoying it instead, as it is, banana jokes and all. Or maybe just get yourself that cuddle.

If this forum ever needs a eulogy... I nominate you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom