SOE 32: let there be no leak puns..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love Wild Honey, too. That middle section going back into the chorus is so bittersweet it's heartbreaking.

Re: "Landlady." If those lyrics hold up, I actually quite like them. For some reason, people get upset whenever any major artist mentions modern day devices/activities in their lyrics. They think it's not poetic or something to mention things like ATM machines, cell phones, or the rent in the lyrics. But I disagree - that's part of life these days. I enjoy their presence in the songs.

Re: Bono's brush with mortality. When I heard about this, I immediately thought it might be a cancer scare. Didn't Bono have one around the time of ATYCLB? His brush with mortality then triggered an album about "the essential things in life" whereas this one seems to have influenced a series of letters written as if they're the last thing he'll be able to say to his loved ones. Seems connected.

Are you and I the only two on this forum that love Wild Honey? It is one of the highlights of ATYCLB for me.

In A Little While is also a favorite.

While I can see why folks find them cheesy, for me, they ring poignant and refined.

In A Little While is also a favorite.

While I can see why folks find them cheesy, for me, they ring poignant and refined.

Yep, I love them both. I've never understood the hate around here for either, but then again I'm not someone who needs every song to be The Fly or Gone or whatever. I enjoy each for what they are, much like The Best Thing.

I love Wild Honey, too. That middle section going back into the chorus is so bittersweet it's heartbreaking.

Re: "Landlady." If those lyrics hold up, I actually quite like them. For some reason, people get upset whenever any major artist mentions modern day devices/activities in their lyrics. They think it's not poetic or something to mention things like ATM machines, cell phones, or the rent in the lyrics. But I disagree - that's part of life these days. I enjoy their presence in the songs.

Re: Bono's brush with mortality. When I heard about this, I immediately thought it might be a cancer scare. Didn't Bono have one around the time of ATYCLB? His brush with mortality then triggered an album about "the essential things in life" whereas this one seems to have influenced a series of letters written as if they're the last thing he'll be able to say to his loved ones. Seems connected.

It may not be a "modern device," but rather such a literal statement. It's a prosaic sentiment.

How about swapping "paid the rent" with overspent or never slept or heaven sent or CAME CORRECT

Honestly the lyric is fine.

Yep, I love them both. I've never understood the hate around here for either, but then again I'm not someone who needs every song to be The Fly or Gone or whatever. I enjoy each for what they are, much like The Best Thing.

Maybe this is where we draw the line then. Best Thing/Crazy Tonight are overwrought versions of those charming pop tunes.

I like Wild Honey a lot too. Hoping Showman is just as good. Hoping too that Landlady is not Grace or Stand Up Comedy level bad.

Maybe this is where we draw the line then. Best Thing/Crazy Tonight are overwrought versions of those charming pop tunes.

Eh, to each their own. The Best Thing is easy to hate on this forum. Fantastic melodies, great bass and drum work, vocals from the Edge in the bridge...I loved it from the get go and here 2 months later the charm hasn't worn off. Sci-Fi Soul mix is probably my favorite, but I also love the acoustic and single version. Kygo...meh. I don't hate it but I don't actively seek it out.

Wild honey :) not a fan myself, it was the swinging monkey line and cheesey sound that put me off. Each to their own though

i also like Wild Honey pretty well, and In a Little While a bit more. Not sure about the Crazy Tonight bit... :huh: But we'll see how his description translates.

Still happy about Love is Bigger getting some positive review from him. Would hate the album to end on back to back weak songs...
Especially when SOI ends with such an amazing tune.

Eh, to each their own. The Best Thing is easy to hate on this forum. Fantastic melodies, great bass and drum work, vocals from the Edge in the bridge...I loved it from the get go and here 2 months later the charm hasn't worn off. Sci-Fi Soul mix is probably my favorite, but I also love the acoustic and single version. Kygo...meh. I don't hate it but I don't actively seek it out.

So true. TBT is not cheesy at all. Each time i revisit it, i notice just how although it is a pop song, it really does have more of rock feel than i first gave it credit for. Great fuzzy bass, really good drums on this track that propel it forward.
Lyrically, it is much deeper and desperate than I think people want to give it credit for as well. Not sure how people give The Sweetest Thing a pass, but then shit on this song. This has many more levels to it, and like you, I just don't seem to tire of it. Always a good listen. Blackout, i love, but i take bigger breaks from it.

So true. TBT is not cheesy at all. Each time i revisit it, i notice just how although it is a pop song, it really does have more of rock feel than i first gave it credit for. Great fuzzy bass, really good drums on this track that propel it forward.
Lyrically, it is much deeper and desperate than I think people want to give it credit for as well. Not sure how people give The Sweetest Thing a pass, but then shit on this song. This has many more levels to it, and like you, I just don't seem to tire of it. Always a good listen. Blackout, i love, but i take bigger breaks from it.

Agreed- There is a lot more going on there (especially with good headphones!) than people give it credit for. Also lyrically- I relate big time to the lyrics...Not to get into too much detail, but I have been off and on dealing with some PTSD, depression, and quite honestly been self destructive. The lyrics speak of some pain and self destruction, yet shimmers of light. All things that hit me hard and definitely resonate with me.

I rate ATYCLB highly, but haven't listened to it in full for quite a long time. Kite is one of those songs that causes an irrational ache when I listen to it, so In a Little While is the only one that I revisit consciously. It's one of those things: instead of knee-jerk reactions to how a song sounds as opposed to your expectation of how it should sound from a band you kind of have taken ownership of, just respond to the song itself, in a vacuum. IALW is a beautiful song and would have been beautiful if performed by any band.

I also enjoy Wild Honey.

Disclaimer: The intention of this post is not to attack anyone who criticises u2; this is just a statement of my belief that a song has its own universe. Believe me, I have on many occasions pushed play on a new song by u2 (or other artists that I like) with the expectation that it will contain all of what made me like them. That led to a kind of disappointment that was not really fair. Fortunately I remembered that I didn't listen to WOWY, One, Lemon, Stay or Kite with that expectation and that has helped me enjoy a much wider range of songs and artists than I used to.

Rent is a modern device?

alg-rent-too-high-jpg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom