SOE 32: let there be no leak puns..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guys I am sorry to be negative, but my wife and I are going to hate this album. Hopefully u2 get their shit together and release a better album after this!

I read the album track names to my dog, and gauged his response to each one. But I'm not sure if the handful of times he licked his genitals was because he thought they sounded like a dog blowing itself, or because they turned him on.

I'm pretty sure he silently farted after I read off Get Out.

I’ve been meaning to ask you a few questions

1) Does Red Flag Day actually sound like a modern War album song?

2) Do any of the songs have that Kite/Sometimes You Can’t...feel where Bono sings with that passion that I think was missed on SOI?

3) Can you compare summer of Love to any U2 song from the past in any way?

Glad you enjoyed the album!

I'll do my best to answer these. Has been a number of days since I heard the album now.

1) I would say no. There are backing vocals by Edge that sound somewhat like that era but the song is still 90 per cent modern. I actually cringed in the first 30 seconds or so thinking it was too poppy but boy did it grow on me after that.

2) Yes, I think that's the one thing that makes this album stronger than SOI in my opinion. Lot more passion here I thought. Though nothing as personal as those songs. Love is all we have left feels very emotional. It's a very simple, short song but it gave me goosepumps.

3) Hard to compare it. Maybe like a better 'In a Little While'? (I'm going to get hate for that comparison)

Could you provide us with something that we haven't heard yet re: the album?

Hmm. I'll try think of something. Have I not provided anything new? Sorry as I said I only heard the album once, and got to hear a couple of the tracks a second and third time so I have a limited memory.

Anything you have in mind? Song description, lyrics maybe?

Good to hear from you again. I was one that loved SOI, and thought it was the most consistent since POP. Would you say that SOE is more consistent than SOI?? I found myself skipping Miracle, SFS and sometimes Reach. But the rest i liked well enough to listen all the time. Also added TCB in there cause it's just an amazing song.

Here it seems like you might like them all except Landlady, Love is Bigger, and possibly 13??? Is that accurate?

Also, do you remember the style of Landlady? Rocker? ballad? atmospheric? darker low-key like SLABT?? Pop?

And if not the best in 20 years, how would you rank it out of the post-2000's U2 albums. Yes, i know that's not really fair having heard it once.

Thanks again.

Yeah fair to say on first listen I loved all the songs apart from those 3. Look 13 isn't bad it just didn't feel new. Was weird to hear Song for Someone again in another form.

I honestly can barely remember Landlady, which is a reflection on the song itself. Was a rocky tune that I suppose in comparison with others is darker. I thought the lyrics were the worst thing about it.

I don't really want to rank it compared to other albums just yet. Although like I said this album doesn't have any major duds in my opinion where as ATYCLB and Bomb had a few.

Hope those answers help !

Yeah fair to say on first listen I loved all the songs apart from those 3. Look 13 isn't bad it just didn't feel new. Was weird to hear Song for Someone again in another form.

I honestly can barely remember Landlady, which is a reflection on the song itself. Was a rocky tune that I suppose in comparison with others is darker. I thought the lyrics were the worst thing about it.

I don't really want to rank it compared to other albums just yet. Although like I said this album doesn't have any major duds in my opinion where as ATYCLB and Bomb had a few.

Thank you! upset about Landlady. Not surprised there were some shoddy lyrics that threw off a song though.

How about The Showman? Style? you like it?

I'll do my best to answer these. Has been a number of days since I heard the album now.

1) I would say no. There are backing vocals by Edge that sound somewhat like that era but the song is still 90 per cent modern. I actually cringed in the first 30 seconds or so thinking it was too poppy but boy did it grow on me after that.

2) Yes, I think that's the one thing that makes this album stronger than SOI in my opinion. Lot more passion here I thought. Though nothing as personal as those songs. Love is all we have left feels very emotional. It's a very simple, short song but it gave me goosepumps.

3) Hard to compare it. Maybe like a better 'In a Little While'? (I'm going to get hate for that comparison)

Thanks for sharing this info! I'm especially excited for 'Love is All We have Left' - I wasn't expecting something so atmospheric on SoE based on the songs and descriptions we've heard so far. And pretty ballsy of them to open the album with a slow song!

A question I have is, are there any particular stand out moments from the Edge, riff-wise? Any guitar-prominent songs with riffs as memorable as say, Beautiful Day or Vertigo (or going back further, Mysterious Ways or ISHFWILF)?

I’ve been meaning to ask you a few questions

2) Do any of the songs have that Kite/Sometimes You Can’t...feel where Bono sings with that passion that I think was missed on SOI?

This is just a question and not a criticism, but I honestly want to know: do you not feel the passion from Bono in Raised by Wolves, Iris, or Cedarwood Road? For me, those songs hit pretty hard because what Bono was trying to convey was coming through loud and clear.

Hah, I thought you were being snarky and I started writing a lighthearted response that turned out vitriolic. Sorry mate.

No worries, it's hard to jest online without seeing the little wink or twinkle in the eye as you write. You do have these things though :sexywink: :wink: May start to use them more in future :heart:

All the best

What does Mercy sound like? :wink:

This is just a question and not a criticism, but I honestly want to know: do you not feel the passion from Bono in Raised by Wolves, Iris, or Cedarwood Road? For me, those songs hit pretty hard because what Bono was trying to convey was coming through loud and clear.

Exactly:up::up::up::up:

The entire, "Best work in 15 or maybe even 20 years," doesn't really make much sense to me anyway. 15 years ago was 2002 (two years after ATYCLB). Their next album was Bomb, which was released 11 years ago. 20 years ago they released Pop, which was even more inconsistent than ATYCLB. So basically he's saying it's their best album since Bomb, or maybe even Pop...which is also covering ATYCLB by default. Seems a little vague to me, like he's trying not be specific, lol.

Last edited:

I heard it on Iris (which surprisingly gets a lot of hate around here) which I think is the best song from that album. The other two didn’t do it for me. Good songs, but not really of “epic” proportions of Bono standards on past albums.

I think really in my mind I’m being more critical of what we’ve heard so far from SOE. Little Things has some of it from him but I was wondering if there’s more of that passion from him on the album cuts.

I heard it on Iris (which surprisingly gets a lot of hate around here) which I think is the best song from that album. The other two didn’t do it for me. Good songs, but not really of “epic” proportions of Bono standards on past albums.

I think really in my mind I’m being more critical of what we’ve heard so far from SOE. Little Things has some of it from him but I was wondering if there’s more of that passion from him on the album cuts.

I’m with you here. I heard that “something” from Bono on quite a few SOI songs. That passion, yearning, whatever you wanna call it. I don’t hear it much in Get Out, very little in TBT. I think Little Things will be heavy with it, and I’m hoping several others.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to the album lots, but I am quite bummed that one of the 5 songs (American Soul) is comfortably my second least favourite U2 album track of the 2000+ era, only beating Grace.

In fact, it is in my bottom 4 album tracks altogether I think, the other 2 being Miami (worst ever) and Daddy's Gonna Pay (3rd worst - yeah I don't like it).

The fact that American Soul, one of only 5 songs we've heard, actually makes this list, is quite the bummer.

All speculation obviously, because the other tracks we've not heard might surprise me, and I'm willing to see that as likely, but damn.... 1/5 of these new songs as my 4th least favourite album track of U2's career...

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to the album lots, but I am quite bummed that one of the 5 songs (American Soul) is comfortably my second least favourite U2 album track of the 2000+ era, only beating Grace.

In fact, it is in my bottom 4 album tracks altogether I think, the other 2 being Miami (worst ever) and Daddy's Gonna Pay (3rd worst - yeah I don't like it).

The fact that American Soul, one of only 5 songs we've heard, actually makes this list, is quite the bummer.

All speculation obviously, because the other tracks we've not heard might surprise me, and I'm willing to see that as likely, but damn.... 1/5 of these new songs as my 4th least favourite album track of U2's career...

I had that same feeling. But going back to the song, I’ve actually come around a bit more to it. It was like a 4 for me. But it’s inching to 6 territory. I did make a version without the refujesus part and it helps :). Lemme know if u want it.

I do think these songs may work better as a group and they do seem to be growers. American Soul will never be a favorite of mine. But it may be one that I visit once in a while. Probably strong live.

Just think, you like 4 out of 5 songs you’ve heard!!
That’s 80%!! That’s a high percentage for any album.

The entire, "Best work in 15 or maybe even 20 years," doesn't really make much sense to me anyway. 15 years ago was 2002 (two years after ATYCLB).

whether the new stuff is good or bad, at least someone can write such a sentence.

think of where you were in the fall of 2000. did you really think you'd be seeing U2 in the summer of 2018?

(i mean, assuming tomorrow goes well for some of us)

For those bummed out about 'American Soul'.........look, War has 'Refugee' & 'Red Light' and that doesn't take away from the greatness of War.

Hard of for any band to have every song on an album be great. From the early reviews it seems the whole context of the SOE is a great listen. Which is pretty awesome for a band pushing 40 years. Can't wait till Dec 1st!!

For those bummed out about 'American Soul'.........look, War has 'Refugee' & 'Red Light' and that doesn't take away from the greatness of War.

Hard of for any band to have every song on an album be great. From the early reviews it seems the whole context of the SOE is a great listen. Which is pretty awesome for a band pushing 40 years. Can't wait till Dec 1st!!
Spot on,although I like American Soul! Hope it leaks before December the 1st though.

For the record, I never understood the hate for Red Light. Sure, it's not a particularly great song, but I fail to see how it's seen as such a terrible song.

(I can't defend The Refugee much though lol).

I don't think Red Light is such a bad song. I like it, the trumpet thing and the backing vocals are great imo. The Refugee, also a great song. They should do that one live! .....what a great album War still is.

Can't wait to just sit down,few beers in the fridge my headphones on and just let the album soak in.

i took 12/1 off of work because I’m going to stay up until midnight and download the songs and give them a go. Problem is that since having kids....i fall asleep around 11p on a late night!

Perhaps coffee at ~8p should boost me until at least 1a.

Hmm. I'll try think of something. Have I not provided anything new? Sorry as I said I only heard the album once, and got to hear a couple of the tracks a second and third time so I have a limited memory.

What are some standout lyrics?
A standout lyric, a memorable hook...

Take Landlady for example. You've said you don't like that one because of the lyrics. Why? Is there something specific about the lyrics that turned you off?

December 1st is my wife's annual Girlfriend's Christmas Party...I get to make drinks for the ladies (and myself) and eat all the food she makes for them...then I'm going to retire to our 'Bonus Room' which I've equipped with a large HDTV and soundbar and I'm gonna blast the album...until they all pass out...:hyper:

Last edited:

Hi. This may be a vague question. But did anything surprise you... apart from Refujesus?

A standout lyric, a memorable hook...

Take Landlady for example. You've said you don't like that one because of the lyrics. Why? Is there something specific about the lyrics that turned you off?
I remember he had mentioned a lyric about paying the rent or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom