SOE 32: let there be no leak puns..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One thing I've noticed with the new songs is that it appears that The Edge has brought back his signature sound, at least on 3 tracks (Little Things, THAT, GOOYOW), something that was scarce on SOI.

The guitar parts (on the few songs I've heard so far) have been what has grabbed my attention the most. Edge has been doing his homework. :up:

Is regurgitating that signature sound a good thing? I've heard more than enough of it by this point. I'd rather hear him exploring a wider variety of sounds.

So far for London

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
Get out of your own way
Best thing
Beautiful day
Elevation
Vertigo
One

Last edited:
It's the Joshua Tree tour without the Joshua Tree.

Guess that was the path of least resistance for them from a rehearsal standpoint.

I was hoping for the Blackout.

I'm not surprised at all by the set. Easy to rehearse, and fairly straightforward choices for an MTV crowd. Even if this had come after lengthy downtime for the band you wouldn't expect a much different setlist.

But I was hoping The Blackout would've been in the mix too.

Is regurgitating that signature sound a good thing? I've heard more than enough of it by this point. I'd rather hear him exploring a wider variety of sounds.

So you like U2 but you're tired of U2 sounding like U2?

...I think we've had this exact same discussion before.

I'm not surprised at all by the set. Easy to rehearse, and fairly straightforward choices for an MTV crowd. Even if this had come after lengthy downtime for the band you wouldn't expect a much different setlist.

But I was hoping The Blackout would've been in the mix too.

Yeah I agree, blackout would have topped it off though. No Joshua tree songs,maybe a hint towards the e&i tour

Signs as part of "Get Out" video recording:
DOYIH54WsAASTDT.jpg:large

This is a deliberate misreading of that particular complaint. I at least don't want U2 to repeat themselves because it's boring, and it's frustrating to hear an artist on autopilot, particularly when it's an artist that made it their mission to change and cast old sounds away.

I didnt want Peter Buck to use the Reckoning style, I don't want Billy Corgan to play Siamese Dream riffs, andi do the particularly want Edge to chime away. They already did that and if I want to hear 80s U2 guitars I'll listen to the Unforgettable Fire, not songs 1/2 as good that remind me if that stuff. Like, why would I listen to GOOYOW when Beautiful Day exists?

Last edited:
Because it's a U2 song and you are allegedly a U2 fan? :scratch:

Don’t bother, this is a poster who has recently made the following statements:

Described “You’re the Best Thing About Me” as “Utter Garbage”

Described the Chorus of “Get out of your Own Way” as the “sound of a Dog blowing itself”

After hearing a 40 second clip of a recording of the GOOYOW video, the live performance of Blackout in Facebook and TBT stated that “SOE will easily be the worst or second worst record U2 makes” (mind you there are 13 songs on the album and at the time they heard 1 studio recording)

I’m all for differing opinions but the pure ridiculousness and hate towards U2s current output makes it clear no matter what is on SOE or how they play it live...they have already made up their minds.

Does Achtung Baby "sound like U2"? Does that contain Edge's "signature sound"?

I like old U2. As the other poster said, I don't need feeble recreations of Edge's 80s chime when I can listen to that. No Line and SOI both had a wide variety of guitar sounds (even the acoustic work on SFS sounded refreshing) and I hope we get more of that instead of a bunch of tracks of playing it safe.

I know this is from the last album release cycle but I never saw it until now...and think it applies right now.

I also love how he says "I know" at the end!

I don't know if this had already been posted but it's an enjoyable brief interview.

Jones'ing for the album like everyone else...

Because it's a U2 song and you are allegedly a U2 fan? :scratch:

What you're saying is that because I'm a U2 fan I have no standards and judge them differently from other bands. That's insulting to the idea of being a U2 fan. Fuck, it's insulting to the idea of being a music fan.

Described the Chorus of “Get out of your Own Way” as the “sound of a Dog blowing itself”

After hearing a 40 second clip of a recording of the GOOYOW video, the live performance of Blackout in Facebook and TBT stated that “SOE will easily be the worst or second worst record U2 makes” (mind you there are 13 songs on the album and at the time they heard 1 studio recording)

I’m all for differing opinions but the pure ridiculousness and hate towards U2s current output makes it clear no matter what is on SOE or how they play it live...they have already made up their minds.

I never said anything about a dog blowing itself, but after hearing three songs they'd written for the album and the verse and chorus for another I did say that it will likely be their worst or second worst album, if only because an album that's 1/4 mediocre (at best) is by definition not a good album. We've now heard 4 studio tracks and Ali e version of another that couldn't be made remarkable even by George Martin c.1966. 5/13 songs are weak. There could be eight great songs lurking but there's nothing in what they've released so far to suggest that. The arrangements and production are unremarkable across the board and the songwriting isn't very good. And the less that's said about the lyrics the better. My expectations were very high but now they're basically nonexistent, so I'll probably be pleasantly surprised by a few songs, and I'm still look forward to hearing he album

Thank you for saying this. Reasonable criticism is all good, but there is a line and the poster was pole-vaulting across it.

Back
Top Bottom