SOE- 27: And SOE it Begins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If that Reddit thing is actually true - which, well, it's Reddit, so I hope we're all taking it with a lot of grains of salt - then it would explain the band's reluctance to go ahead with the St Louis show without a full complement of police and security.

Anyway, cheers for reposting it in a readable form here, PRB216. :up:

Happy to help!

I'm now doubting the Reddit claim heavily.. The Redditor claimed the extremist "attempt" happened weeks after the Charlie Rose interview (Sept. 20, 2016) but the band played at iHeart (Sept. 23, 2016) & Dreamfest (Oct. 5, 2016) without issue. They were rumored to debut The Best Thing on 09/23 at iHeart so something else must've stopped them from playing new material (and thus committing to promo it beyond those two dates).

And as Headache mentioned it'd be very hard to keep something like that out of the news/courts/police blotter while medical records are very private and tightly protected.

Yes, yes, BVS. As I said, many times, I don't know how Bono's health figures into U2's schedule. If you somehow think that means I believe U2 is lying about Bono's health, then you are indeed obtuse. Well, we know you're obtuse, you're just doing it again.

Yes, yes, BVS. As I said, many times, I don't know how Bono's health figures into U2's schedule. If you somehow think that means I believe U2 is lying about Bono's health, then you are indeed obtuse. Well, we know you're obtuse, you're just doing it again.

Seriously Nick?! I said definitely NOT you, but that you admitted to not knowing how it adds up. How does that equate to you believing that U2 are lying about a health scare?

The most interesting to me is the version of "I Will Follow" that plays around 7:30. I've never heard it before - anyone know where it came from?

Is this the version in the podcast?

I have crummy speakers at work and can't really distinguish it. This "previously unreleased mix" was featured on 2008's Boy deluxe reissue.

Is this the version in the podcast?

I have crummy speakers at work and can't really distinguish it. This "previously unreleased mix" was featured on 2008's Boy deluxe reissue.

Nah, the version in the podcast sounds like it has a completely different vocal take.

Bono probably just had a worse than usual hangover and realized he can't drink like a 20 year old any more.

Songs of Boyhood
Songs of Vaguely Religious Inspiration
Songs of War
Songs of Mysterious Ambiance
Songs of America
Songs of Darkness
Songs of Weirdness
Songs of Vaguely Electronic Inspiration
Songs of Upliftingness
Songs of Heart
Songs of Brian Eno Tried For Like Half of These
Songs of Innocence
Songs of Experience

Or, just maybe, it's difficult enough to write one song at any given time, much less one after already releasing 14 albums worth of ideas in the world. I'd probably be second guessing myself or struggling for new-ish ideas if I were in my 50s and doing this for a few decades too. Being insecure about new stuff is overanlyzed on here since we'll read every interview and put our own spin on it, but every musician has that to some extent. If people think that's not an issue or shouldn't be one, I doubt they've tried writing a song before.

FYI I've written and recorded 300 songs. 25 albums.

It really gets on my nerves when people assume other people on the internet don't write songs. We know bugger all about each other, so don't assume please!

And yes, of course it happens with all artists, but U2's cold feet is unusually high compared to most other bands that have been doing it for as long as them. Also, a big bulk of their cold feet is to do with trying to find a 'hit' for the 'kids', which is just silly at their age.

Last edited:
Not really... the album doesn't even get mentioned by name until the last minute and a half and Adam merely talks about the idea of "innocence" compared to "experience".

2018 it is

It's quite unique or maybe more odd that they have a new song out, and the band isn't even talking about it or the album?

The Rolling Stone articles really didn't give any new information. Maybe they are planning a surprise release which is why they aren't saying much for dates.

The tour ends in another month, so will assume we'll get the album push just in time for the holidays

FYI I've written and recorded 300 songs. 25 albums.

It really gets on my nerves when people assume other people on the internet don't write songs. We know bugger all about each other, so don't assume please!

And yes, of course it happens with all artists, but U2's cold feet is unusually high compared to most other bands that have been doing it for as long as them. Also, a big bulk of their cold feet is to do with trying to find a 'hit' for the 'kids', which is just silly at their age.

I probably could have worded that better, so apologies for any implied assumption... and kudos as well. :up:

I do stick by more or less everything else though. This band is a popular one that does a ton of interviews and we're going to overanalyze every single one for whatever it says. Many people aren't even aware that they've been recording non-stop for all these years, while we'll chalk up a delay in a release to "cold feet" or an urge to have a hit song because of whatever. Yes, they're hinted at or said those things in interviews and such, but I still don't think that a lot of their issues are much different than what other bands go through. Even the ones that have been around just as long. As agonizing as the wait to SOI was, it has nothing on Chinese Democracy or Peter Gabriel or whoever else.

And if the appeal for 'kids' was real, I think we would have had the entrance into hip-hop a long time ago. Having a song that connects with a lot of people is a bit different than just wanting to get played on rhythmic Top 40 stations. At the end of the day, you just write songs and make millions of little decisions along the way which change the final product (as you and a few others on here would probably know), then go with the best thing you can. I don't think that process has really changed for them and I can't really pin my hopes of them just making it sound like however I prefer them to come out. I'll either like it or not and move on with my life, you know?

Last edited:
I probably could have worded that better, so apologies for any implied assumption... and kudos as well. :up:

I do stick by more or less everything else though. This band is a popular one that does a ton of interviews and we're going to overanalyze every single one for whatever it says. Many people aren't even aware that they've been recording non-stop for all these years, while we'll chalk up a delay in a release to "cold feet" or an urge to have a hit song because of whatever. Yes, they're hinted at or said those things in interviews and such, but I still don't think that a lot of their issues are much different than what other bands go through. Even the ones that have been around just as long. As agonizing as the wait to SOI was, it has nothing on Chinese Democracy or Peter Gabriel or whoever else.

And if the appeal for 'kids' was real, I think we would have had the entrance into hip-hop a long time ago. Having a song that connects with a lot of people is a bit different than just wanting to get played on rhythmic Top 40 stations. At the end of the day, you just write songs and make millions of little decisions along the way which change the final product (as you and a few others on here would probably know), then go with the best thing you can. I don't think that process has really changed for them and I can't really pin my hopes of them just making it sound like however I prefer them to come out. I'll either like it or not and move on with my life, you know?

No worries man. Sorry if I got irate.

I guess we are all very anxious to hear this new album of theirs.

Back
Top Bottom