SOE- 27: And SOE it Begins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aside from what we already know (bike accident, Bastille Day terror attack, luggage door opening on his plane), no, nothing. Terribly troubling, though. Have to believe all is well now. He seems in top form on the road.

That's what makes me wonder if it was something to do with being traumatized from the terror attack rather than a health crisis. If he had a heart attack, for example, I wouldn't think they would be touring so soon and planning to tour more in 2018; plus, like you said, he doesn't seem to have slowed down. Also, if he had been in the hospital, info like that probably would have leaked somehow.

But all we have is speculation at this point; he'll probably talk about it someday. Watching him practically pole dancing with his mic stand last week, I would never have thought anything was wrong!

Noticed that. Guttered they seem to be missing us again. Not fair.
Edge said they will "probably" go further afield but it's not exactly a determined statement is it? He also said on an Australian radio station a few days ago that he will see us soon, then added "hopefully"

I don't share some of Edges opinions regarding U2s position in current music culture.

While I understand that they don't want to be seen as a veteran act, I don't think that too much looking around what's going on in "current music culture" will help them in making outstanding music.

And his praise for Tedder in regards of making songs better, choruses better ... well not really

we also don't want to be perceived, and we don't want to be, a veteran act out of touch with the culture

When we're around Ryan these songs get better and better. The choruses get better. The hooks get better. The arrangements get more lean and more focused

They should have played Playboy Mansion. Hopefully on the next tour. If they rest JT tracks that opens space for Pop songs - Please, Playboy, Gone and Do You Feel Loved would work well. Two are culturally relevant too! They love that.

I'll obviously wait until I hear the final product, but I'm less enthused about the album today than I was before I read that article.

The whole "we want to sound fresh for radio" thing frightens the shit out of me. It makes me believe that they still don't fucking get it.

I hope I'm wrong.

I don't think they do get it, they aren't gonna have "that" hit like beautiful day or vertigo.

Their not seen as current or relevant anymore, That's just a fact. Doesn't matter what they release it won't make a slight bit of difference. Theve had a great run, probably from New Year's Day to get on your boots.

I'm not complaining to much cause I loved soi and I love the tracks we know that are on soe. To be honest it would be very hard for them to release anything that I don't actually like. I even loved boots when it came out. Don't worry it didn't last to long :)

I don't think they do get it, they aren't gonna have "that" hit like beautiful day or vertigo.

Their not seen as current or relevant anymore, That's just a fact. Doesn't matter what they release it won't make a slight bit of difference. Theve had a great run, probably from New Year's Day to get on your boots.

I'm not complaining to much cause I loved soi and I love the tracks we know that are on soe. To be honest it would be very hard for them to release anything that I don't actually like. I even loved boots when it came out. Don't worry it didn't last to long :)

I guess it depends on what one would consider a hit. I tend to still hold on to he belief that if the song is good enough AND catchy(good is not enough anymore for U2), they can have a song that hits the top 100 singles and possibly the top 50.

I know I am in the minority here but I think TBT has a chance of that level of success.

#iknowtheyareold
#Bonowearsgrannyglasses
#youneverknow

Edge said they will "probably" go further afield but it's not exactly a determined statement is it? He also said on an Australian radio station a few days ago that he will see us soon, then added "hopefully"

Nooooooooo I wanna see U2 with the Aussies!

Also like really they are rich. They can afford to ship the stage here. A 20 hour flight wouldnt be the end of the world. And they havent been here for 7 years.

"Hopefully" he was just being coy

Lean and focused are not the traits of U2. They become neutered songs and while it's still U2 it isn't what made them great.

Other than a few singles of theirs (Desire is best one that comes to mind), their songs have a distinct sonic atmosphere that wouldn't be there if you tried to make it into a 3 min pop tune

I expect a similar album to HTDAAB, album full of singles but none of the songs really flow together.

And watch, once they do release it they'll bitch about it not being cohesive

Also like really they are rich. They can afford to ship the stage here. A 20 hour flight wouldnt be the end of the world. And they havent been here for 7 years.

"Hopefully" he was just being coy
It's about what I'd expect them to say without anything being concrete, and nothing has been ruled out. Not time for any (additional) doom and gloom yet.

Bowie's last two albums each had sings that did really well - Blackstar was bug before he died, but the amazing video probably helped. And its uncompromising nature.

U2 used to balance the art/commerce/reinvention almost as well as he did, but they seem to be stuck in his Tonight phase.

Bowie's last two albums each had sings that did really well - Blackstar was bug before he died, but the amazing video probably helped. And its uncompromising nature.

U2 used to balance the art/commerce/reinvention almost as well as he did, but they seem to be stuck in his Tonight phase.

A ten year hiatus doesn't hurt either.

I think I'll forever be more annoyed with Edge's comments on sounding fresh and going where the culture is than Bono's involvement with aids and politics.

I too am bothered by the love for Ryan Tedder. I feel like they've given up on using producers who challenge their convictions and norm. Eno and Lanois were notorious for sparring with them, Danger Mouse now, reading between the lines, was pushing them in a more ethereal direction before they panicked for "moar hitz" and brought in Tedder. Lillywhite and Tedder are perhaps my two least favorite producers theyve worked with, namely becauseI find that their "style" expires the quickest upon further listening. I may be in the minority, but I found Tedder's tracks on SOI the very worst on the album, and every time I hear Bomb, which I've always disliked, I like it a little less. Whereas I find myself pulling layers of sound and new production elements from NLOTH, JT, AB, and even the stuff Nellee Hooper did on Pop to this day.

I fear that this band will be critiqued (rightly) for spending their final years making wild hurls of desperation for success, which is to me perfectly personified by a group of 60 year olds trying to find inspiration or relevance by hanging with the Chainsmokers and DJ Khaleds of the world. I liked the Barlow and Thomas idea. Novel producers who are relative unknowns. Going with Tedder and Lillywhite signals, at least to me, that they are not confident in their initial mixes and are lost, seeking a magic bullet or a safe sound. This saddens me- this may be their last hurrah to be novel again and I fear they're wasting it trying to make a good impression. Screw that- they're U effing 2. Just point and shoot.

Back
Top Bottom