SOE- 27: And SOE it Begins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's kind of sad, but reading through this thread, I find myself not really interested at all in SOE. I'll obviously listen to it, because it's U2, but compared to my level of pre-release excitement for NLOTH and SOI, this is a dramatic change. I suppose it's partially because none of what we've heard has impressed me very much, the song titles seem a bit obnoxious, a lot of lyrics seem questionable, the band's attitude towards hits is concerning, and SOI also didn't really impress me.

I hope I'm wrong and it's amazing. And I'm not trying to promote negativity; if you're excited, then truly, that's great. I wish I were, because I don't want to be down on my favorite band. But it's just hard for me to get excited right now.

That at least had a point.

You can't make a short story out of "get out of your own way much more better the blackout American soul little things that give you away you're the best thing about me a boy, Roy".

Right, right, I know the king title in that album was supposed to supply a story that can't simply be conveyed solely by instrumentals.

So one take away, IMO, from Bono's new interview in Rolling Stone is that he confirms what a lot of us already suspected...that the "rewriting SOE because Trump" excuse was bullsh*t....i.e. he's already starting to walk it back a little bit, probably because the lyrical content really isn't going to reflect that.

Except perhaps via creative interpretation of the lyrics which Bono engages in liberally in this interview, and to this end he quotes himself quite a bit.

Finally, truthiness! Now he just has to drop the "political" part, and we'll be 10% of the way there to knowing what really happened!

I don't know why it's so hard to believe both played a part?

Well, I suppose.

But did anyone with knowledge of this bad really believe, given U2's history, that Donald Trump is really the reason the record was "delayed"? They said the record was basically done, and that the election (and Brexit I guess) caused them to reconsider the whole thing.

Gotta love U2, but it's not as if they have the best track record, or most credibility, when it comes to stuff like this.

Last edited:
If it makes anyone feel any better - the only recent mention of Much More Better is from this article, which I've heard it largely bullshit.

Ex. the "Our man reviews the new album" part, is basically just a rehash of previous Mojo quotes, passed off as a sneak peak

23vdjwm.jpg

Doesn't mean Much More Better isn't on the album.. but it's not anything that's been mentioned by the band for well over a year

Last edited:
I don't know why it's so hard to believe both played a part?

I don't believe it had anything to do with Trump for 2 reasons:

1- the album was set to be released in November and the first single was set to be released 9/23. Since the first single was never released, that means the plan to delay the album was made (well)before 9/23. Trump was elected on 11/7...almost 2 months after they likely made the decision to delay.

2-The Best Thing was set to be released on 9/23/16. Then the world changed or the atmosphere wasn't right for the songs hey wrote or whatever the reason Edge/Bono gave. So, they wait a year and in this very different world they end up releasing....The Best Thing. So nothing changed?

You could make the argument that they were "concerned" about Trump back in September and wanted to see it play out but all polls and pundits had him near dead in the water. I think September was even when he mentioned how he likes to grab p&$$y....he was a mess of a candidate at that time.

Well, I suppose.

But did anyone with knowledge of this bad really believe, given U2's history, that Donald Trump is really the reason the record was "delayed"? They said the record was basically done, and that the election (and Brexit I guess) caused them to reconsider the whole thing.

Gotta love U2, but it's not as if they have the best track record, or most credibility, when it comes to stuff like this.

It's not that far fetched. From what we had heard at that point U2 had written an album of interpersonal and light hearted songs. The world was changing and even the likes of Depeche Mode were getting political, would people be upset that a band such as U2 weren't talking about it?

I'm confused that you felt the need to censor "pussy" and "clam", but not "vagina", Cosma.

I'm confused that you felt the need to censor "pussy" and "clam", but not "vagina", Cosma.

Lol....I thought vagina was a more accepted word than clam or pussy which come off as a bit crude.

I removed it all at the risk of offending anyone (this place can erupt at the mention of "avocados") here with my lyrics but I think Vagina and Dinah is a gold rhyme (clam and Pam is pretty solid too)

It's not that far fetched. From what we had heard at that point U2 had written an album of interpersonal and light hearted songs. The world was changing and even the likes of Depeche Mode were getting political, would people be upset that a band such as U2 weren't talking about it?

See Cosmo's salient argument above.

And I don't think there would be a lot of people upset that U2 wasn't being political for once (though I think their reputation as a "political" band is a bit overblown. They haven't been overtly political for almost 20 years, at least in terms of domestic US politics).

Moreover, based on that RS interview, I'm not sure how much of the content of the songs actually changed....Bono's making it sound like it's more a matter of interpretation and perspective. And I frankly think if Bono wants these song to be about "joy", then overtly political is the last thing they should be. If "Stop, In the Name of Love" is an anti-war song, it's that way because of the way it makes you feel, not because the song is about war. So fight Trump by spreading joy. The exuberant defiance of Beautiful Day, for an example, to me is a lot more of an elixir for these troubled times than protest rock. And, to be frank, while I have zero love for the US President, being a rock star or any kind of celebrity against Trump is already a cliche'. I for one wouldn't mind seeing U2 do something different.

Also, Bono lies.

Last edited:
Lol....I thought vagina was a more accepted word than clam or pussy which come off as a bit crude.

I removed it all at the risk of offending anyone (this place can erupt at the mention of "avocados") here with my lyrics but I think Vagina and Dinah is a gold rhyme (clam and Pam is pretty solid too)

I just found it hilarious given that both "clam" and "pussy" have common meanings entirely unrelated to female anatomy, but "vagina" does not.

And given the way Cobbler and I throw around "cunt", I wouldn't worry too much, Sutch.

How could Bono's "near death experience" cause a delay to a record they said was already done?

No doubt, Bono's health impacted how long it took them to write and record those songs. But once it was apparently "done", it was then they said it was delayed because Trump.

See Cosmo's salient argument above.

And I don't think there would be a lot of people upset that U2 wasn't being political for once (though I think their reputation as a "political" band is a bit overblown. They haven't been overtly political for almost 20 years, at least in terms of domestic US politics).

Moreover, based on that RS interview, I'm not sure how much of the content of the songs actually changed....Bono's making it sound like it's more a matter of interpretation and perspective. And I frankly think if Bono wants these song to be about "joy", then overtly political is the last thing they should be. If "Stop, In the Name of Love" is an anti-war song, it's that way because of the way it makes you feel, not because the song is about war. So fight Trump by spreading joy. The exuberant defiance of Beautiful Day, for an example, to me is a lot more of an elixir for these troubled times than protest rock. And, to be frank, while I have zero love for the US President, being a rock star or any kind of celebrity against Trump is already a cliche'. I for one wouldn't mind seeing U2 do something different.

Also, Bono lies.

It doesn't really matter if Trump was a mess of a candidate at the time, the two of you weren't paying attention if you didn't realize there was something changing, not just in the US.

And no, they never said there were overt changes to reflect what was going on, but to completely rule out the fact that it could be part of the pause is silly.

I wonder when it was decided to do the Joshua Tree Tour? I'd be very interested to know how that influenced their plans.

To me, it seemed like either they delayed the album so that they could do this tour, or they did the tour because the album/SOE Tour were delayed another year, and LiveNation said "AWWW HELL NO!!!"

Promotion, touring plans?

Whatever happened put them in a position where they weren't able/comfortable doing the promo circuit

Yeah, but they were doing TJT tour during the period anyway, right? His health was so bad they had to delay the record to....go on a grueling world-wide stadium tour? As I understand it, the record was delayed, then they decided to do the JT tour....probably because of Live Nation commitments.

Let's apply Occam's Razor here. What's more likely, the record was delayed because they had to rewrite it because Donald Trump, OR that is was just typical U2 second guessing themselves and having cold feet about everything they do, and Trump gave them a ready made excuse?

No, I'm not suggesting for a moment Bono or anyone associated with U2 is lying about his health. I just don't see how it adds up that it was the reason for the record being "delayed." Especially when they said it was about Trump at the time. And I only put delay in quotes because that suggests, rather dubiously, there was ever set time SOE was going to be released that it was delayed from.

Last edited:
Yeah, if Bono truly had a major cancer scare, or something else like heart trouble, I can't imagine they'd be pushing this hard. Major stadium tour, followed immediately by an album/promo tour, followed immediately by another year long tour? No, I just don't see that.

We may never know what it was. Maybe the Doc said "you have cancer!" And then called him back a week later and said "NEVERMIND! Forgot to carry the 2, your fine!"

Yeah, but they were doing TJT tour during the period anyway, right? His health was so bad they had to delay the record to....go on a grueling world-wide stadium tour? As I understand it, the record was delayed, then they decided to do the JT tour....probably because of Live Nation commitments.

They opted to defer releasing an album at the end of August 2016
JT tour began just shy of eight months later, in May 2017

I mean... the delay occurred around September-ish, and was apparently a very late decision based on the information we were getting from RD.

They didn't tour until May. That's 8 months. It's not as if they scrapped the album and started touring a week later. And let's be honest - this is not exactly a grueling tour itinerary, and much has been made about Bono's appearance and how he's been much more stationary this tour than usual. Not to infer that these things are related to his health scare, but at the very least he clearly did not out in his usual pre-tour workout regime.

So unless you believe the band is lying about Bono's brush with his own mortality - clearly something happened. And as it never made the press, that rules out any sort of incident or accident, or even a sudden medical emergency where he had to be rushed to the hospital. Draw your own conclusions as to what it was. I have my ideas, but until he says something publicly that's all they are.

Remember on 360 he had undergone emergency surgery to keep himself from being paralyzed before we even knew anything was wrong. So he tends to keep things very close to the vest.

Last edited:
clearly something happened.

Yes, I think something happened. I think they did their usual second guessing game.

Look, if it was another band, I might have bought the excuse. But U2's track record on this kind of thing isn't exactly the best. It will probably be a long time before we know what really happened, if ever. All we can do now is speculate based on what we know about this band based on their past actions. I for one don't buy the Trump excuse. Others disagree, and that's fine, they're free to believe whatever the band says about their recording and release schedule.

Of course, those people have been listening to SOE for a couple years now, and maybe one of them could send me their copy of Songs of Ascent.

If Bono really did have a health scare then it's worrying news and I hope it was nothing serious, but, it must be said, due to U2's history of cold feet with releasing albums, it is no surprise if people are not buying the story. The boy that cried wolf and all that.

For the record, I don't think they were making it up, who would make up a thing like that?

But their other excuses for the album delay, who knows anymore.

If Bono really did have a health scare then it's worrying news and I hope it was nothing serious, but, it must be said, due to U2's history of cold feet with releasing albums, it is no surprise if people are not buying the story. The boy that cried wolf and all that.

Well, I want to be clear....I'm not suggesting U2 is lying about Bono's health.

I just don't buy the Trump thing (and I when I say "Trump thing" I mean it as a catch-all for the Brexit, democracy in crisis, etc. talk from Bono). I don't think he's the reason the record was delayed, and I don't think the "renewed relevance of The Joshua Tree's themes" is why they all of a sudden decided to do a tribute tour...something that's been an anathema to U2 until now. I mean....seriously.

I think SOE was delayed b/c the band started second guessing themselves again, and I think TJT tour was a contractual/business decision as a result of delaying SOE. How much Bono's health is mixed in with all that, I can't say.

They opted to defer releasing an album at the end of August 2016
JT tour began just shy of eight months later, in May 2017

Well then why not just push the SOE tour back to May 17? Why do TJT tour at all? Oh, yeah I forgot....Trump.

Last edited:
They don't owe us anything. If Bono was going through a very serious personal health crisis, I'm sure the album was the furthest thing from his mind. It's of note that Edge made those Trump comments and it was a good cover so they didn't have to delve into his B's personal details. They might not have known what the outcome was gonna be at that time, blood work & tests etc. can take time (if that's what it was, don't wanna speculate).

Just be happy things are on track now and the band seem heathy and are in good spirits. Hopefully whatever it was is behind them.

Back
Top Bottom