SOE 23 - Return of the Trolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping this guys recollection of the song not being "very memorable" is off. I was really looking forward to this one.

And I guess we still don't know if this is The Light or The Blackout...

I might be misunderstanding your last sentence, but the radio guy said the relatively unmemorable song was "The Light/The Light at Home." There was zero indication he listened to The Blackout. As far as which new song has a huge drum break, that's The Light, which is probably a later version of Civilization.

Funny how I said earlier on that summer of love was the one I was most excited for with no reason at all and clearly it's this guys favorite

I will say it sounds like SOE might have those 'Holy ****' live moments I think have been missing the last 2 albums.

As much as U2 wanted NLOTH & SOI to go off live like past songs to me they just didn't. A few exceptions:

-Raised By Wolves
-Crazy Tonight Remix (Doesn't really count)
-Opening riff of Miracle but falls off (same can be said as Breathe)

As much gripe is thrown at ATYCLB & Bomb, those songs sounded great live and were even carried over in future tours.

I hope U2's live magic comes from SOE.

Last edited:
I also wonder about TBT. What we heard with Kygo, i don't know if I would call "big" sounding. So maybe there have been some changes along the way, and maybe just it being full band and not EDM'd up, might give it a bigger sound.
very cool.

Yeah, Kygo's mix of TBT is light, bouncy, and restrained/understated at the chorus, almost anticlimactic compared to how 'big and epic' it could potentially get. And that style describes Kygo's signature sound and most of his songs, I think.

So what we've heard so far could very much be a standard Kygo remix, with only the general chord progression and vocals of TBT remaining.
In theory the U2 version could be a lot 'bigger' (although i must say I like the 'understated' sound of the Kygo mix - it's very summery, and full of confidence, in that it doesn't need to go big to sound great).

I will say it sounds like SOE might have those 'Holy ****' live moments I think have been missing the last 2 albums.

As much as U2 wanted NLOTH & SOI to go off live like past songs to me they just didn't. A few exceptions:

-Raised By Wolves
-Crazy Tonight Remix (Doesn't really count)
-Opening riff of Miracle but falls off (same can be said as Breathe)

As much gripe is thrown at ATYCLB & Bomb those songs sounded great live and were even carried over in future tours.

I hope U2 live magic with SOE.

Yeah, I think you're right.

Since the release of SoI, they've said they wanted SoE to sound more raw, aggressive, and less overproduced. Hell, they even re-recorded some (or all) of SoE earlier this year with Lillywhite to give it more of a live feel. I'm almost as curious to hear the production of SoE as I am the tunes, to see if they finally actually pulled it off.

Also, it can't have escaped U2's notice that they had to massively re-arrange 'The Miracle' to make it work live. And - IMO - none of the singles from NLOTH or SoI really came alive like earlier tunes onstage. Part of that may have to do with failure to create a hit, but I'm sure they've been driven lately to make sure the next album pulls no punches live. It was great to hear people from the Amsterdam shoot predict that the Blackout will be a popular live track.

I agree that Lights of Home could be Civilisation. Along with "really cool drum break", it's described over on the U2gigs Amsterdam shoot report as having "amazing" drumming.

So, if independent sources are saying the drums stand out, and civilisation was described as having "colossal" and "epic" drums, with Larry's part being Bono's "favourite sonic part in a u2 song ever"... yeah, fingers crossed.

Bono's description (though I know he loves hyperbole) of Civilisation is what got me interested in SoE in the first place, so I really hope it (or at least that drum part) survived.

Okay I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't

I'm getting down on my knees and telling you I love you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Miracle_(Of_Joey_Ramone)

"The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)" originated from U2's recording sessions with Danger Mouse in 2010, initially consisting of a drum loop and acoustic guitar.[2] Under the input of producers Ryan Tedder and Paul Epworth, it evolved into a rockier song called "Siren" , with one lyric comparing the music of the punk rock band Ramones to a siren song.[2] The band settled on the final melody and lyrics with Epworth during the album's final two months of sessions.[2]

That Swedish site hung isn't really news though. They want to start taking money before others do, so they put it up based on an educated guess with all the hype and news going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom