SOE 23 - Return of the Trolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to tell you some more about The Blackout, but we had to sign an agreement to be silent about the project until an official press release will be delivered. But.... I liked the song very much. In two weeks we know a lot more!!![emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Do you feel it has that "hit" feel to it? Better than the miracle and boots at least to launch an album?

Magnificent, Vertigo, and Zoo all share that abrasive, buzzy guitar sound, at one point or another.

I hear that's the front and centre sound Edge provides on Blackout (Black Out?)...

I'm happy with that. Doesn't mean the song itself is great, but it gives me hope and the Edge standing out more is almost always a plus.

It would be great to get a UTEOTW type riff. Something so massive and catchy that it becomes the actual chorus

Vertigo was close as it rivaled the chorus for what was memorable.

Don't get the magnificent comparison tho. That is classic edge sound

I know it was dismissed already but I can't help keeping from going back to that Instagram clip Adam posted. Someone commented "blackout" on it a few weeks ago but who knows it if was just someone assuming. Just from the descriptions it fits.

https://instagram.com/p/BGM4ISVgF4d/

Last edited:
I know it was dismissed already but I can't help keeping from going back to that Instagram clip Adam posted. Someone commented "blackout" on it a few weeks ago but who knows it if was just someone assuming. Just from the descriptions it fits.

https://instagram.com/p/BGM4ISVgF4d/

That one seems to be dismissed by all those that have heard it. But that's not a bad thing. Hopefully that means it makes it as a different song. Civilization???

Can anyone who were at the video shooting could tell the lenght of the track?

over or under 4 minutes?

Nice find.

The many producers is a cause for concern.

He didn't seem too enthralled with any of the tracks. He had good things to say of course, but was pretty reserved.

That was awesome to hear, thanks for posting :up:

I hope this means the embargo is over now. There must be a tonne of these previews hidden out there!

Also interesting that they didn't play Blackout. They must be keeping that one pretty close to the chest.

Pretty much every song described is one I'm looking forward to. 'American Soul' seems more exciting the more I hear about it, and I'm very intrigued by the production of 'Summer of Love'. I also wonder if 'Best Thing' has survived in its initial form, or how much it could have changed :hmm:

from atu2 - transcript of some of the choice bits

"American Pop/American Rock" (described as an "in your face" sound with Edge's guitar distorted)
"Summer Of Love" (about Abu Wad, the "gardener of Aleppo;" described as having a "great soundscape" and potentially has Lady Gaga on backing vocals?)
"You're The Best Thing About Me" (described as being a "big song" with a "'Beautiful Day' vibe")
"The Light" (a "good groove" with "a big singalong chorus;" we think this could be "Blackout," which listeners at the video shoot said has a lot of lyrics about light, or it could be the other song fans at the shoot got to hear, which also mentioned "light" and "light from home")

interesting that for The Light, the guy mentions a big drum break.. which was something that was supposed to be part of Civilsation

Nice find.

The many producers is a cause for concern.

He didn't seem too enthralled with any of the tracks. He had good things to say of course, but was pretty reserved.

Well, i gotta admit, he didn't sound like he was really "in the know" of what's going on with the album. We already know that Lillywhite, Jacknife Lee, Andy Barlow and Jolylin Thomas and possibly Tedder have worked on this. Which is a few producers, but nothing crazy.

Also, remember this is a music guy, but maybe not a U2 "fan" so his reaction to the songs may not be as animated as ours would be.

I think he sounded like he really liked American Soul and Summer of Love, likened TBT to Beautiful Day, and the only one he didn't sound super fond of was The Light.

That said -
American Soul is sounding better each time we hear about it. Don't know if i love the subject matter, but distorted Edge guitars/Vertigo/wall of sound type feel is good to hear.
Summerof Love again being called open, empty, and beautiful sounding. Said that people would love it.

So that's pretty promising.

I was annoyed by the DJ's comment about SOI. To me SOI is a great and memorable album and has about 5 of the best songs they've done in 15 years. So if SOE is improved on that. Hell, i'm happy

Last edited:
That was awesome to hear, thanks for posting :up:

I hope this means the embargo is over now. There must be a tonne of these previews hidden out there!

Also interesting that they didn't play Blackout. They must be keeping that one pretty close to the chest.

Pretty much every song described is one I'm looking forward to. 'American Soul' seems more exciting the more I hear about it, and I'm very intrigued by the production of 'Summer of Love'. I also wonder if 'Best Thing' has survived in its initial form, or how much it could have changed :hmm:

I also wonder about TBT. What we heard with Kygo, i don't know if I would call "big" sounding. So maybe there have been some changes along the way, and maybe just it being full band and not EDM'd up, might give it a bigger sound.
very cool.

from atu2 - transcript of some of the choice bits

"American Pop/American Rock" (described as an "in your face" sound with Edge's guitar distorted)
"Summer Of Love" (about Abu Wad, the "gardener of Aleppo;" described as having a "great soundscape" and potentially has Lady Gaga on backing vocals?)
"You're The Best Thing About Me" (described as being a "big song" with a "'Beautiful Day' vibe")
"The Light" (a "good groove" with "a big singalong chorus;" we think this could be "Blackout," which listeners at the video shoot said has a lot of lyrics about light, or it could be the other song fans at the shoot got to hear, which also mentioned "light" and "light from home")

interesting that for The Light, the guy mentions a big drum break.. which was something that was supposed to be part of Civilsation

Maybe Civilisation was an alternatitve/early title for Blackout.

Summer of love sounds most intruguing in description.

And if this all ends up better than SOI, all the better.

Civilization came to my mind as well at the mention of the drum break. Not that Larry can't have two big moments on one album, but it's a big coincidence.

The Lady Gaga appearance would have more impact if her new album hadn't received such a tepid response, but it's still a pretty huge name. Between this and Kendrick they're making a big case for relevance.

How is this audio just making the rounds now if it was on public radio a day after the Pittsburgh show?

Civilization came to my mind as well at the mention of the drum break. Not that Larry can't have two big moments on one album, but it's a big coincidence.

The Lady Gaga appearance would have more impact if her new album hadn't received such a tepid response, but it's still a pretty huge name. Between this and Kendrick they're making a big case for relevance.

There must have been some rearranging though right? Cause i thought Bono had said that Civilization starts with drum break and was one of his favorite starts of U2 song in recent memory.
So they really might have mixed some things up and it ended up as the midpoint of The Light... Who knows. Or Civilization remains as its own tune.

Agreed on Gaga. She doesn't carry all the weight she once did, but she's got a spectacular voice. And still relevant.

How is this audio just making the rounds now if it was on public radio a day after the Pittsburgh show?

may have been ordered not to by U2's record company. Maybe today is the day that the ban is lifted and we start to get some new details!!!

There must have been some rearranging though right? Cause i thought Bono had said that Civilization starts with drum break and was one of his favorite starts of U2 song in recent memory.
So they really might have mixed some things up and it ended up as the midpoint of The Light... Who knows. Or Civilization remains as its own tune.

Agreed on Gaga. She doesn't carry all the weight she once did, but she's got a spectacular voice. And still relevant.

From my recollection Bono didn't say the Civilization drum break was at the beginning of the song, but in the middle.

From my recollection Bono didn't say the Civilization drum break was at the beginning of the song, but in the middle.

Cool. Thanks Laz.

Hoping this guys recollection of the song not being "very memorable" is off. I was really looking forward to this one.

And I guess we still don't know if this is The Light or The Blackout...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom