SOE 23 - Return of the Trolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of Zootv,and 360 visuals were stories above the band. Half the seats in a stadium look at a Jumbotron while listening to their band. Ears still function while looking at the sky, or screen or jets flying over head like they did in Dublin.
Would this be the first time in history a burts of rock music didn't heighten an already excited crowd?

And you're taking about most of this crowd being U2 fans or at least rock fans. So they're gonna be into it. Nana and Grandad are probably gonna skip this viewing area.

Lots of Zootv,and 360 visuals were stories above the band. Half the seats in a stadium look at a Jumbotron while listening to their band. Ears still function while looking at the sky, or screen or jets flying over head like they did in Dublin.
Would this be the first time in history a burts of rock music didn't heighten an already excited crowd?

And you're taking about most of this crowd being U2 fans or at least rock fans. So they're gonna be into it. Nana and Grandad are probably gonna skip this viewing area.

nothing generates excitement for a brand new lead single like having everyone in attendance staring up at the sky at something super rare everyone wants to talk about rather than watching the band the first time they ever play it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we have info that The Best Thing was to be the lead single?

It would be odd to send out this promo letter for a song that isn't going to be the one we'll hear in 2 weeks, even if it's slated to be the second single a couple months later.

it's definitely tied into the eclipse, and it's a cool idea. i like it.

the more i think about it the eclipse concert idea could have been pretty badass if it was pink floyd doing dark side of the moon during the 1979 eclipse as a concert film. but not u2 in 2017 releasing a new song.

This is pretty confusing. But I still lean toward TBT being the lead single and this mailer may be using a piece of lyrics from the Blackout, but more to hype the album, not the first single.
But this does leave it open to a dual single or Blackout being first.
Really cool. So happy they are doing something different and interesting this time around.

it's definitely tied into the eclipse, and it's a cool idea. i like it.

the more i think about it the eclipse concert idea could have been pretty badass if it was pink floyd doing dark side of the moon during the 1979 eclipse as a concert film. but not u2 in 2017 releasing a new song.

Yeah, I get your point here. Not the best venue to introduce something new. I think they could have had a more involved, cool tie in if they planned it out ahead of time. Maybe releasing the song on the day of the eclipse after a couple weeks of teasers on social media and in mailboxes...

Either way, I'm just excited they are doing some non conventional promo and lead up to the songs and album

Getting excited.

Can't seem to stay away from the junk mail can they? In all seriousness it's cool that they did that but I wonder how many went out to make some sort of dent in viral marketing and what else they have planned.

Hopefully this means they will be doing a bit of marketing hype.... doubt they will leave it as this letter.

Well, this has been picked up by Billboard, Pitchfork and the like. They should take advantage and do some more teasing. :waiting:

Last edited:
Did anyone here receive a letter? I'm curious about whether there might be something hidden in the ink/paper (it's unlikely, of course, but still...).

We haven't really talked about the silhouette image itself in this letter; is it a confirmation that the pic of Bono's son & Edge's daughter is in fact going to be the album cover, or will it just be the artwork for the single?

We haven't really talked about the silhouette image itself in this letter; is it a confirmation that the pic of Bono's son & Edge's daughter is in fact going to be the album cover, or will it just be the artwork for the single?

The album cover IMO. Having son and daughter on the cover for The Blackout or TBT doesn't make sense to me.

I like the concept.... here in Europe no letters.
Have you tried to look at the dates in the dark and put a lighter behind the letter? Pretty sure you can see the dates....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom