SOE 23 - Return of the Trolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's all take a second to view just how atrocious this entire thing is.

Bono's shoulder shuffle dance anyone?

Last edited:
I'm curious to know why you think it's a terrible song? They've made worse in my opinion
Because it's terrible?

It sounds like a bunch of ideas smooshed together. There are times when that works - this is not one of those times.

The song has no chorus, no structure, is fucking out of tune at times, and is an absolute train wreck. It's embarrassing that they thought that song could make it as a single.

Boots is so bad that there should be trigger warnings ahead of any discussion of it. What were U2 thinking.

Because it's terrible?

It sounds like a bunch of ideas smooshed together. There are times when that works - this is not one of those times.

The song has no chorus, no structure, is fucking out of tune at times, and is an absolute train wreck. It's embarrassing that they thought that song could make it as a single.

The "you don't know how beautiful you are" part sounds like the chorus to me. Edge come up with a good riff that gets stuck in your head.

Adam came up with a fantastic baseline to go with it.

Bono sings in a very unique way, clever song writing which can be interpreted in different ways.

It might not be a Streets, or even a Vertigo for that matter but it's certainly not terrible and the worst song they've ever written. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion of course

I cannot believe U2 thought that;
A- Boots was a good enough song to put effort into finishing in a studio
B- To put it on an album
C- To release it as the album's flagship single.

Is there nobody around to say "Hey, that song kinda sucks... it's not going to be a good single. It's going to be a complete DUD." Are U2 surrounded by that man YES men? The first time I heard Boots, I immediately knew it was a poor choice for a single. I immediately knew that it would be quickly dismissed by everyone, and that NLOTH's sales would suffer as a result.

And for that matter, who the fuck told them it was a good idea to release The Miracle as the first single?

No Line (the song) would have been a better single if it was released instead of Boots, in my opinion

It's nuts that they released Boots as a first single (or a single at all). Just check out the "favorite NLOTH song" thread on here... Boots came in dead last.

I like the top comment on the video on YouTube: "This song reminds me of my dick when it's completely flaccid."

I cannot believe U2 thought that;
A- Boots was a good enough song to put effort into finishing in a studio
B- To put it on an album
C- To release it as the album's flagship single.

Is there nobody around to say "Hey, that song kinda sucks... it's not going to be a good single. It's going to be a complete DUD." Are U2 surrounded by that man YES men? The first time I heard Boots, I immediately knew it was a poor choice for a single. I immediately knew that it would be quickly dismissed by everyone, and that NLOTH's sales would suffer as a result.

And for that matter, who the fuck told them it was a good idea to release The Miracle as the first single?
The Miracle is Beethoven's Fifth compared to Boots.

The "you don't know how beautiful you are" part sounds like the chorus to me. Edge come up with a good riff that gets stuck in your head.

Bono sings in a very unique way, clever song writing which can be interpreted in different ways.

It might not be a Streets, or even a Vertigo for that matter but it's certainly not terrible and the worst song they've ever written. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion of course

I'm on the side that thinks Boots is a tad mediocre, but I agree with a lot of that. It's not the worst song they've done and does have some decent features like you mentioned. Seems to me like a lot of the discontent comes down to the execution of all those ideas in one song, and maybe the fact that it was a bit underwhelming for a first single (if put lightly).

And to be fair, it came across okay live too.

I like Boots, it's fun. But I also know it's a really embarrassing song. Remember when they opened the 2009 Grammys with it? *shudder*

Don't mind Boots as the guitar is cool but it's definitely not a "good" song IMO. The lyrics are pretty bad, especially the gasoline/submarine line. As a lead single, it was a terrible idea because it was very meh song and not one that is going to make people say "wow, I want to hear more if that!"

Because it's terrible?

See, I read a reply like this and all I think is you missed a perfect opportunity to use "submarine wreck" instead of "train wreck"! You could have expressed what a disaster the song is by incorporating one of the most disastrous lines in the song.

Maybe I'm just throwing gasoline on this fire (see what I did there!)

"Sexy boots yeah"

gummistiefel09.jpg

Please let there be a beach clip. Or a cat clip. Anything. All this Boots talk is brutal. Humiliating. It's like having to dredge up memories of the time i shat my pants in my first year at school.

I quite like Boots, it does have a great guitar groove going through it and the "you don't know how..." line is lovely. there are worse songs on the album (SUC and Crazy). However there are a few too many studio affects thrown into the mix and the "let me in the sound" part sounds like it was shoehorned in at the last minute to get some kind of unnecessary theme going. Bad choice as a lead single, there were better candidates such as Magnificent, NLOTH or MOS.

Boots should be banned from ever being mentioned again. I mean what were they thinking. This thread has gone down hill since someone mentioned Boots.

Get on your boots killed u2 as a relevant chart act.

Think it got to number 11 here the first lead single not to get to number 1 since the Joshua tree. I'm pretty sure any other single since hasn't got in the top 40.

Boots was probably the last u2 track on rotation on radio one aswell. They never played u2 again after that.

Those first performances of the track on the grammys brits etc were some of the worst u2 performances on tv since probably the early days.

In my opinion it killed u2 off in the charts which they will more then likely never get back.

Live on the 360 tour it was half decent, don't want to hear it again but it wasn't so bad on the tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom