SOE 23 - Return of the Trolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Tedder say once that they had the cover of ATYCLB up in the studio as the standard they were reaching for on this album?

I think "accessible" or "joyous" is more of the words I would think this album will be versus "pop" if we are going to put an early label on it.

For those looking for "experimental" U2 In regards to sounds or "out there" shit like on Zooropa, I believe those days are over.

Last edited:
I am gratified that the band has decided to release the album on a date in accordance with both my advice and my predictions to the fine members of this forum.

I also feel buoyed anew, having once again had the privilege of humbly serving as a shining beacon of hope in what previously had become Inteference's darkest hour.

In closing, I reflect upon the words of the great Mahatma Ghandi: "Man becomes great exactly in the degree in which he works for the welfare of his fellow-men."

:wink:

This is horrifying if true.

Anything but this.

You mean the record that put u2 back on the map and put them back on top of the pile.

Atyclb was a huge album for them. If they have a single and album with a quarter of the success atyclb had then soe will be a massive album

Why wouldn't they be trying to achieve this?

In my opinion, it's all about the songs. If they're good, then I'm happy. And I will not judge until I actually hear the songs.

You mean the record that put u2 back on the map and put them back on top of the pile.

Atyclb was a huge album for them. If they have a single and album with a quarter of the success atyclb had then soe will be a massive album

I have to side with Laz on this. ATYCLB may have been an album that "put them back on top", but there were many outside factors that drove that success. BD was a strong song and a great first single choice for them.

But if we are talking about reaching to ATYCLB in song quality then no, no please. Kite is tremendous, WILATW very good, BD really good, the rest for me falls in the bland to mediocre category.

So I'm hoping that they push a bit farther. I would like them to just do as well or better than SOI.

Listening to the album again now, and hell, it's just really damn good.

Much More Better puzzles me a bit. Love a heartfelt, deeply personal acoustic track, but could be a tough hill to climb with recovering from the bike accident being the subject material...

I think this could work if it's about Bono dealing his own mortality and aging, that he can't recover or do certain activities as easily as he once did. That could be good material for a song.

I mean the album with the lowest energy level in their entire discography, and the one where they intentionally spent less time crafting and exploring the material in the studio, going for directness and simplicity? That album. The one that doesn't speak to their strengths as a band, regardless of whether or not you like the songs (I do, for the most part).

Now clearly they didn't just bang SOE out, having spent a lot of time with it. The question is whether it's filled with second-guessing or interesting ventures. Recent track record doesn't have me wholly optimistic.

Also, looking to ATYCLB as inspiration doesn't exactly jibe with the rumor of this being a long album. I'm sure whatever we get will be some kind of compromise but can't really reconcile these two things.

And Rolling Stone gave it 5 stars

Pitchfork gave SOI 4.6, rolling stone 5 stars. I would put it at a 7.5 or 4 star album IMO...

They gave HTDAAB, U2's worst album IMO, a 6.9

They are idiots. But I can't wholly disagree with their criticism of ATYCLB which they gave a 5.0

Last edited:
I believe the current pitchfork would give ATYCLB a better rating since they've become more professional than they were 17 years ago.

I believe the current pitchfork would give ATYCLB a better rating since they've become more professional than they were 17 years ago.

Yeah, the review read like a snark filled rant, like bono had pissed on his mom's head or something...

I don't expect much from them. Their M.O. of being cooler than cool, then liking something everyone thinks is uncool just to show you that they are actually SO cool that they can like the uncool thing and make it cool... Bullshit that streams out of them

Well their 6.9 review of The Bomb was fair and levelheaded. Probably higher than a lot of people here would.

The review that bothered me most was their one No Line (with a score in the high 4s IIRC), which was filled with snarky cheap shots and really failed to acknowledge the differences between it and the two previous albums. Even if you feel it was compromised as I do (fatally or not), one can at least give it the benefit of thoughtful analysis.

I'm thrilled that this appears to be actually happening. I need something fun to look forward to in this shitshow of a country.

Huge huge news today. Loving it, If we do end up getting SOE in december, this will mean that a tour next year is imminent also. What a year it will have been for the band, certainly making up for a non existent 2016. Amen!:D

Hipster cred among tens of people that post on message boards, of course. Only ambient tracks of sonic sound that sound something like they've never done before will accomplish that at this point. :D

I have to side with Laz on this. ATYCLB may have been an album that "put them back on top", but there were many outside factors that drove that success. BD was a strong song and a great first single choice for them.

But if we are talking about reaching to ATYCLB in song quality then no, no please. Kite is tremendous, WILATW very good, BD really good, the rest for me falls in the bland to mediocre category.

... in my opinion.

And Rolling Stone gave it 5 stars

That's pretty much a given as long as Jann Wenner is there.

In my opinion, it's all about the songs. If they're good, then I'm happy. And I will not judge until I actually hear the songs.

Same. I don't need the cred of whether it's being played on an acoustic guitar or with Edge putting the reverb level on 6.230839 for an exact sound he's never had before... just give me a good song at the end of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom