SOE 21 - It comes down to this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, no idea why they would wait til 1st December. Maybe there will be a digital release before 1st December anyways? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think digital albums are a big thanksgiving present are they?

Whenever I see someone mention gifting an album I flash back to the '90s when people would gift the Jerky Boys cds or some sort of Best of or live box set. Who gifts actual albums any more whether physical or digital? DVDs are in the same boat. I would imagine iTunes gift cards sky rocket closer to the holidays for the last minute stocking stuffer or the teen or relative you have no idea what to get so you grab that. I can imagine still they will have the album available for pre-order pretty early maybe even before Black Friday with the possibly of getting another song right away or closer to release.

Last edited:
Jimmy Iovine was on Howard Stern yesterday and he mentioned how painful Rattle and Hum was to produce because Edge and Bono are both perfectionists. It drove Jimmy out of producing and almost to a nervous breakdown when they asked him to go to Berlin to do AB. He passed and started Interscope

Posting here because the perfectionist Edge continues. The proliferation of producers on the last two albums (SOI and SOE) seems to reflect that they just can't make up their minds on a sound or a song.

See this producer rumor today
https://www.reddit.com/r/U2Band/com...s_release_i_received/?st=J4HIKR97&sh=760624ce

Jimmy Iovine was on Howard Stern yesterday and he mentioned how painful Rattle and Hum was to produce because Edge and Bono are both perfectionists. It drove Jimmy out of producing and almost to a nervous breakdown when they asked him to go to Berlin to do AB. He passed and started Interscope

Posting here because the perfectionist Edge continues. The proliferation of producers on the last two albums (SOI and SOE) seems to reflect that they just can't make up their minds on a sound or a song.

See this producer rumor today
https://www.reddit.com/r/U2Band/com...s_release_i_received/?st=J4HIKR97&sh=760624ce

They've been working with him for awhile now, how is this a rumor?

They've been working with him for awhile now, how is this a rumor?

True that in itself isn't news, though the fact he's apparently "currently" working with them is significant to me - all the news/buzz recently seemed to suggest Lillywhite and Jacknife Lee had taken over. Mention of Jolyon Thomas seemed most prominent way back in 2015.

I for one am hoping that Thomas' continued presence means the raw, rock sound they were aiming for - and that we heard in the 'SoE being born' video - has survived (Thomas has produced for Slaves and Royal Blood, so I assume he's adding that sort of sound).

True that in itself isn't news, though the fact he's apparently "currently" working with them is significant to me - all the news/buzz recently seemed to suggest Lillywhite and Jacknife Lee had taken over. Mention of Jolyon Thomas seemed most prominent way back in 2015.

I for one am hoping that Thomas' continued presence means the raw, rock sound they were aiming for - and that we heard in the 'SoE being born' video - has survived (Thomas has produced for Slaves and Royal Blood, so I assume he's adding that sort of sound).

I wouldn't put too much in that, it's their "current" album. But there was still talk of Thomas back in December, I don't think they ever truly shelved him.

I wouldn't put too much in that, it's their "current" album. But there was still talk of Thomas back in December, I don't think they ever truly shelved him.

Ah yeah, good point. Well, regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing if he contributes some of that raw, gritty sound!

So our countdown to whether SOE comes out is September?

We can probably kiss the July rumor goodbye as it doesn't make sense to release a song so far out from December (if that's the album drop date).

On a different note, Adam's speech the other night about his battle with addiction was very good

So our countdown to whether SOE comes out is September?

We can probably kiss the July rumor goodbye as it doesn't make sense to release a song so far out from December (if that's the album drop date).

On a different note, Adam's speech the other night about his battle with addiction was very good

It doesn't have to make sense; there are bands releasing songs 6+ months prior to albums these days.

we'll find out very quickly if there's a single before the European leg at least.

If not, single for September is looking strong.

It doesn't have to make sense; there are bands releasing songs 6+ months prior to albums these days.

So if they are definitely, absolutely going to release the album, they could put it up for pre-order on the various services and have Little Things available to stream immediately as its out there on Kimmel already.

The more Jolyon Thomas the better. Are You Satisfied? by Slaves is a fantastic album that sounds raw, live and brutal.

Title sounds like Bono already writing about his 2008 glory days?

article-1080636-023AEDFF000005DC-479_468x374.jpg

So there's a post on the U2start forum from someone who was invited to hear new music backstage.

http://www.u2start.com/images/upload/1f067d02e4d162978d2a8ba0415948b6.jpg

Heard 5 new songs.
All very guitar heavy, "rockers".
Red Flag Day was exciting in particular.
Single in September, but they haven't decided which one yet. I hope this means they have a bunch of strong tunes, rather than struggling to find a 'hit' (like NLOTH).

So it sounds like SoE will be 'heavier' than what we've heard so far from TLTTGYA, The Best Thing, or the synth-driven 'Get out of Your Own Way' that RD mentioned.

Not sure what this means for the July single rumour, although I guess the same applies (this guy could have just been referring to the 'lead', 'proper' single in September, not this semi-detatched July one. Or it could just be cancelled. I feel like we'd have heard a bit more buzz at this point if it was happening next week.)

Last edited:
So there's a post on the U2start forum from someone who was invited to hear new music backstage.

http://www.u2start.com/images/upload/1f067d02e4d162978d2a8ba0415948b6.jpg

Heard 5 new songs.
All very guitar heavy, "rockers".
Red Flag Day was exciting in particular.
Single in September, but they haven't decided which one yet. I hope this means they have a bunch of strong tunes, rather than struggling to find a 'hit' (like NLOTH).

So it sounds like SoE will be 'heavier' than what we've heard so far from TLTTGYA, The Best Thing, or the synth-driven 'Get out of Your Own Way' that RD mentioned.

Not sure what this means for the July single rumour, although I guess the same applies (this guy could have just been referring to the 'lead', 'proper' single in September, not this semi-detatched July one. Or it could just be cancelled. I feel like we'd have heard a bit more buzz at this point if it was happening next week.)

This is good news. Hopefully the July single happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom