SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dan_smee

ONE love, blood, life
19 threads down, no certainty.

Some very small snippets of hope have emerged in recent days:

- U2 have started playing 'The Little Things That Give You Away' as the closer on the Joshua Tree 30 tour
- Bono was introducing that song as "a song of experience", most recently though, he changed that line to "we have a new album; this is on it".
- U2 are appearing on Kimmel 23 May, and are rumoured to be playing 2 songs.
- Bono was recently quoted in a newspaper as claiming peoples' "innocence has died", which is a line in The Little Things That Give You Away.

Not much when taken individually, but aggregated, it could mean that they have finally made some decisions re timing behind the scenes.

This Clyp is the best audio circulating of The Little Things That Give You Away:

This youtube video is the best audio of the Kygo remix of You're The Best Thing About Me:

Rumoured song titles, in order of recency of mention (with ones we know to be superseded, or more than 5 years old) removed:

- The Little Things That Give You Away
- You're the Best Thing About Me
- The Showman
- Summer of Love
- Landlady
- Where the Shadows Fall
- Tightrope
- Much More Better
- Get Out of Your Own Way
- Red Flag Day
- Civilisation
- Instrument Flying
- The Light

Finally, an image has been shown on the screen after The Little Things That Give You Away that could very well be the album cover. It shows Bono's son Eli, and Edge's daughter Sian posing together:

Last edited:
Really liking the lyrics of 'Little Things' and 'Best Thing', it feels sincere and personal. Btw, great audio bootleg.

'Little Things' feels like an album closer to me.

Thanks for putting together the list of potential song titles, liking the names of a lot of them, hope they turn out to be great tunes.

I do hope that the lyrics stay strong, and the music takes over some more. Longer solo's, longer melodies, impactful intro's, and would love to hear one or two songs where Bono gives it his all vocally.

It does feel like it may the last album.

....The end is here??

gs9tKMg.gif

Is it odd that this subforum was never changed back to Where The Album Has No Name? And if it is going to be "Where The Album Has A Name", shouldn't it just say Songs Of Experience at this point?

It's too late for them to back down now.

Rumoured song titles, in order of recency of mention (with ones we know to be superseded, or more than 5 years old) removed:

- The Little Things That Give You Away
- You're the Best Thing About Me
- The Showman
- Summer of Love
- Landlady
- Where the Shadows Fall
- Tightrope
- Much More Better
- Get Out of Your Own Way
- Red Flag Day
- Civilisation
- Instrument Flying
- The Light

Finally, an image has been shown on the screen after The Little Things That Give You Away that could very well be the album cover. It shows Bono's son Eli, and Edge's daughter Sian posing together:

https://twitter.com/atu2/status/863277671282823168
There's also the ballad, Love is All We Have Left (Morleigh cat clip) but we haven't heard mention of that for a while

Get Out of Your Own Way is one the band are excited about. It's the song they played for some fans in February, that was described as poppy and synth heavy.

Worth noting - between, Best Thing, Little Things, Love is All We Have Left, and GOOYOW, it seems we're pretty far from "raw" and "aggressive." Sure there are a lot of other songs, but I'm no longer thinking that SOE is going to sound like the 'being born' clip from a year ago

There's also the ballad, Love is All We Have Left (Morleigh cat clip) but we haven't heard mention of that for a while

Get Out of Your Own Way is one the band are excited about. It's the song they played for some fans in February, that was described as poppy and synth heavy.

Worth noting - between, Best Thing, Little Things, Love is All We Have Left, and GOOYOW, it seems we're pretty far from "raw" and "aggressive." Sure there are a lot of other songs, but I'm no longer thinking that SOE is going to sound like the 'being born' clip from a year ago

Ah, of course! Gooyow is the best acronym ever, BTW.

Civilisation and tightrope are both described as pretty raw and aggressive - maybe it will be a mix?

Ah, of course! Gooyow is the best acronym ever, BTW.

Civilisation and tightrope are both described as pretty raw and aggressive - maybe it will be a mix?
I was thinking that the reference to synths might imply a more processed sound. But maybe this is unfair of me.. A band like Crystal Castles is synth heavy and they can sound quite raw

I think I'd welcome a move away from the 'raw'/rock sound that we've had with Elevation, Vertigo, Boots and Miracle. There's a lot I love about it, but I think if the next album focuses more on melody, atmosphere, heart-on-sleeve emotion, they'll be playing to their strengths a whole lot more.

I'm quite happy they're doing another synth track. I remember you said it was described as Invisible-esque... Very intrigued to hear what it sounds like. Though I can't help finding it funny that the title 'Get out of your own way', a tune described as being about not overthinking and being impulsive, is still floating around 2 or more years since it was first mentioned :lol:

I also can't wait to hear how 'The Best Thing' ends up sounding. Regardless of what we heard last year, I'm sure it's undergone a bit of revision. A mix of rock and synth? Will it retain the original melodies, and the dancey-ness of the original? Can't wait to find out.

Picking up on the Kimmel speculation from the last thread, I could easily see them doing two JT tracks- something like ISHFWILF and RHMT to tie in with promotion for it as a single. It would be one of the big 3 and one deep track, which I think is safe and would please the masses fine.

That said, it is a perfect press opp to make a statement, and I would love nothing more than if they did Bullet with a rant followed by a new single. That would turn everything on it's head. It would also make up for the missed opp back at the I Heart festival. I think it all depends on how confident they feel with it based on how it's sounded and the reaction it's garnered live.

I was thinking that the reference to synths might imply a more processed sound. But maybe this is unfair of me.. A band like Crystal Castles is synth heavy and they can sound quite raw

Agreed. Also, some of the best or most memorable albums of the rock/pop genre over the past 30 years sound raw and feature synths: Violator, Hot Fuss, Debut, Downward Spiral, Fat of the Land, Screamadelica, etc all have an edge to them while being synth heavy and fairly sparse or direct lyrically.

Wasn't the heavy synth song that band is excited about the one where the fans thought it was horrible ?

Wasn't the heavy synth song that band is excited about the one where the fans thought it was horrible ?

Indeed. Following the long and storied legacy of Miami, Stand Up Comedy, Window to the Skies, and The Hands That Built America. Quite a murderers row, that.

Haha yeah.. They said "it sounds like Invisible" but also "really bad"

But who knows.. Could have been Jick for all we know

The comment before Little Things has gone from a vague "this is a song of experience" to the direct "we have a new album". Now they are paving the way for their patter and spin with comments like that.

What if he's saying "This is a Song of Experience"? As in, this is a song off of Songs of Experience, not just a song about an experience. Does that make sense?

What if he's saying "This is a Song of Experience"? As in, this is a song off of Songs of Experience, not just a song about an experience. Does that make sense?

Yeah, I'm sure that's what it means - it is still a selective sentence that is more vague than saying that they have a new album

I can't get enough of TLTTGYA. I am humming it day and night everyday. Dan smee's processed version just enhanced my love for it. Thank you, dan smee ( from bottom of my heart ). God bless you.

I can't get enough of TLTTGYA. I am humming it day and night everyday. Dan smee's processed version just enhanced my love for it. Thank you, dan smee ( from bottom of my heart ). God bless you.

No processing - that is raw form the Santa Clara bootleg taped by Daspyknows.

I have listened to The Little Things quite a few times now. It beats any song on SOI and NLOTH. I just hope the band don't over produce the studio version. I'm quite excited as the two songs we have heard thus far from SOE are lyrically brilliant and both have catchy melodies so this bodes well for the new album.

Little Things dropped. U2 to rewrite album in time for 2053.

Well thanks everyone. Guess the band saw everyone leaving to beat the California traffic and they took it as not liking the song.

They will now rewrite it, along with the 45 other songs they have ready to go.

Actually it is curious as to why they dropped it? Larry not in board ? They're pissed at Bono for saying "new album"??

They were tired ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom