SOE 19: Back To The Studio Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wherever The Joshua Tree is in the set, how would you prefer it to be played?

• Total voters
So do we think they are done with the album? Stupid question because they are NEVER done....

BUT

I wonder how much closer or further away they are? They were in the studio for a good couple of weeks. There's always the chance that the collaboration with K. Lamar set them back a few months.....considering Ordinary Love delayed SOI by five months (Band's words)....

They've been working on SOE. Andy Barlow was back with them March/Arpil in some capacity... I dont know any of details as to when/where though

Yessss!! Oh that makes me happy to hear. Looking forward to his involvement/influence.

me too! I really dont know what to expect.

He's got some production ideas that I think would work for U2..

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/hitting-the-studio-with-lambs-andy-barlow-586740

RE working with Ramona Flowers
"I came in and simplified and consolidated, to which they responded beautifully. Sometimes I would go through the 90 or so tracks they had recorded for the song, solo each one, and say to the band, 'Who loves this… Anyone?' If no-one loved it, we would delete it and keep going until we went through all of the tracks.

on getting the best out of a band
"I'd say that you have to try as much as you can to include everyone's input. For lots of the album it was just me putting down parts and ideas, with only one or two of the band in the studio. I strongly encouraged the other members not currently working to come up with other ideas and sounds in down time. Good ideas came from that, much like a chef would have a colleague to make stocks and sauces while he beavered away with the details.

Last edited:
U2 re-record entire back catalogue with hip-hop artists, starting with Flo Rida on Beautiful Day.

It will culminate in Patrice from Ark Music Factory guesting on Sunday Bloody Sunday, or as it shall now be, Friday Bloody Friday.

To be honest I really really really wanna hear a U2 & Kanye West song.

On second thought, it would probably bring out the worst in both of them

This is a really interesting idea. How do you rebrand u2?

- I can't see them willingly embracing the "elder statesmen of rock" label, as it suggests best music is behind them. Though if they continue to release solid but unremarkable albums than they might not be able to avoid it

- there's the Johnny Cash narrative. Once great artist returns to greatness through a series of stark, evocative albums, (which sound unlike anything else popular in music at the time). The wisened outsider. Could this be u2? Doesn't seem like it. They continue to chase relevance by adjusting their sound to match popular trends. Plus, they don't have the redemption-story angle to play up. No one cares is they're only seeking redemption after a critical / popular drubbing

- taste makers? Been a long time since they were on the forefront of new sounds.

What the heck is left?

You don't. At this point in the game, they aren't that likely to win over new fans. If someone's hated the band for years, why change now ?

- aren't they already in this phase of their career ? Leaving aside solo acts unapplicable comparisons aside, they *are elder statesmen of rock now.

- I always thought U2 could, with the right producer, get a potentially great album. What Eno and Lanois once used to do for them, but they seemed to have lost their touch with the last two productions.

- agreed, but I wouldn't rule out one last experimental swing in their career.

Ah man, remember when we heard about this literally the day SOI came out? A "quick follow up?"

Those were the times. I was so naive.

Hey I would rather Andy Barlow back with them in the last month or two as RD said rather than leaving it with Tedder.... even if it means a few months away. And hopefully Tedder back to Barlow is better than the other way around. That way Tedder cant pop wash everything.

Although based on social media posts it looks they have been with Jacknife, and Lillywhite during the same period as well. I wasn't too worried about Lillywhite, but after that RHMT remix not sure I wont him around too much hahaha

Last edited:
Well we know both Lillywhite and Tedder were at Electric Lady with U2 last month based on pictures and tweets. Tedder also confirmed his involvement in this Forbes article published yesterday: https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevebaltin/2017/04/25/ryan-tedder-should-be-your-business-role-model-ask-bono-and-paul-mccartney/#423b6993333b

On the third page he shares this comment within a funny Bono story & the pope:
I’ve been in and out with for the last three or four years, I was with them in New York a couple of weeks ago.

I think this all bodes well for a late 2017 release unless they get cold feet while touring or decide to go a different route after getting a taste of the charts with Kendrick.

Maybe they brought Andy back in like they did with DM to let him hear what Tedder and Lillywhite have done to the songs......

What happened to Jolyon Thomas or whatever his name was

Not sure, but he was the one i was really excited about. Barlow as well, but I think if they want to get a little harder edge, "masculine" sound that they were talking about, Thomas would be great.

Back
Top Bottom