SOE 19: Back To The Studio Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wherever The Joshua Tree is in the set, how would you prefer it to be played?

• Total voters
I see. You guys are referring to Side Two as the B-Side. I'm not playing semantics here...just didn't want to get my hopes up for the outside chance to hear Luminous Times. :wave:

A B-side is the flip side of a 45rpm single. like Race Against Time was the B-side on the flip side of the A-side Streets. Later when 45s went away, B-Sides came to generally mean unreleased album tracks.

Yep, your vernacular is better / more accurate. I would be surprised if they play any JT B-Sides besides Spanish Eyes (once).

On a related note, I do wish we still got B-Sides with Singles. Sure, the songs weren't always good but they made singles feel more valuable.

i haven't been paying attention, do we know they are playing JT B-sides?

Or are you referring to 'Side Two' songs like Exit as B-sides?

My mistake- I mean Side Two. The Other Side.

I always think back to album cassette tapes since that's what I had. Most albums had The Good Side and The Other Side.

Edge did mention in an interview a possibility of playing Luminous Times, but I doubt we'd get more than a snippet.

Trading out Trip Through Your Wires and MOTD for Luminous Times and Walk to the Water would be perfect.

The back half of Joshua Tree is literally a B-Side though. The first three songs are the massive hits and the next two are the most well known tour staples after that. Then you've got six songs the general public is mostly unfamiliar with.

I see. You guys are referring to Side Two as the B-Side. I'm not playing semantics here...just didn't want to get my hopes up for the outside chance to hear Luminous Times. :wave:

A B-side is the flip side of a 45rpm single. like Race Against Time was the B-side on the flip side of the A-side Streets. Later when 45s went away, B-Sides came to generally mean unreleased album tracks.
Nah. B side can refer to any LP, EP or single. Most refer to only non album tracks as b sides, but technically speaking they're not incorrect to call the second half of the album the b side.

I've never heard the second half of an album called a b side before. As DMfan says, the coin was termed when singles had the lead song on one side and a second song on the flip side. Over time as formats expanded for singles it covered however many other songs featured apart from the lead one.

I miss b sides too. Whilst the remixes gave us a few treasures, there was a lot of dross whereas proper non-album tracks were usually much more interesting.

Can't wait to hear 50 000 people to sing with Bono on anything after Bullet.....

Lol.

Yeah Running to Stand Still is going to be such an oddity the crowd won't know what to do.

Literally one of the most popular albums of all time and people are worried about U2 fans *in attendance* being unfamiliar with the material?

I've never heard the second half of an album called a b side before. As DMfan says, the coin was termed when singles had the lead song on one side and a second song on the flip side. Over time as formats expanded for singles it covered however many other songs featured apart from the lead one.

I miss b sides too. Whilst the remixes gave us a few treasures, there was a lot of dross whereas proper non-album tracks were usually much more interesting.
The terms A-side and B-side refer to the two sides of 78, 45, and 33 1/3 rpm phonograph records, whether singles, extended plays (EPs), or long-playing (LP) records. The A-side usually featured the recording that the artist, record producer, or the record company intended to receive the initial promotional effort and then receive radio airplay, hopefully, to become a "hit" record. The B-side (or "flip-side") is a secondary recording that has a history of its own: some artists, notably Elvis Presley, Little Richard, the Beatles, Chuck Berry, and Fats Domino, released B-sides that were considered as strong as the A-side and became hits in their own right. Creedence Clearwater Revival had hits with both A-side and B-side releases. Others took the opposite approach: producer Phil Spector was in the habit of filling B-sides with on-the-spot instrumentals that no one would confuse with the A-side. With this practice, Spector was assured that airplay was focused on the side he wanted to be the hit side.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-side_and_B-side?wprov=sfla1

The term predates singles.

Of course there are going to be people there looking bored, especially at a stadium show. It attracts lots of people going because it's the big thing to do, even if they only know three songs.

And half the stadium will be on their phones most of the time anyway, even if they're into the show.

The terms A-side and B-side refer to the two sides of 78, 45, and 33 1/3 rpm phonograph records, whether singles, extended plays (EPs), or long-playing (LP) records. The A-side usually featured the recording that the artist, record producer, or the record company intended to receive the initial promotional effort and then receive radio airplay, hopefully, to become a "hit" record. The B-side (or "flip-side") is a secondary recording that has a history of its own: some artists, notably Elvis Presley, Little Richard, the Beatles, Chuck Berry, and Fats Domino, released B-sides that were considered as strong as the A-side and became hits in their own right. Creedence Clearwater Revival had hits with both A-side and B-side releases. Others took the opposite approach: producer Phil Spector was in the habit of filling B-sides with on-the-spot instrumentals that no one would confuse with the A-side. With this practice, Spector was assured that airplay was focused on the side he wanted to be the hit side.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-side_and_B-side?wprov=sfla1

The term predates singles.

There is literally a "b side" to some records, but nobody refers to them as b sides in the same way as singles have b sides. They are completely different things and the so far at different roles. There are no Joshua Tree b sides. There are b sides for its sinhkes though, and if one said JT b sides people would think of those, not Exit or In God's Country.

It's incorrect to call the second side of an album the b side if it's labelled as dude two ;)

Theory: U2 throws "The Sweetest Thing" into the back half of the JT set in order to keep the audience engaged with a well-known hit. They can technically fudge it with Bono introducing the song as one that "almost made" the original Joshua Tree album.

You can fit Sweetest Thing in between TTYW and One Tree Hill pretty smoothly, I think.

There is literally a "b side" to some records, but nobody refers to them as b sides in the same way as singles have b sides. They are completely different things and the so far at different roles. There are no Joshua Tree b sides. There are b sides for its sinhkes though, and if one said JT b sides people would think of those, not Exit or In God's Country.

It's incorrect to call the second side of an album the b side if it's labelled as dude two ;)
I wasn't saying it was common vernacular at this stage.. I'm just saying they're technically not incorrect.

Second half of an album = Side B
Second track onwards on a single = B Side

Oh my goodness.

PEOPLE KNOW THE JOSHUA TREE. ALL OF IT.

Some people definitely won't know all the songs from dude 2.
They'll know most of dude 1, cause you have heard 3 of those grand songs on the radio for 3 decades, but the songs on dude 2 are less popular to the casual fan, though definitely nt any less grand.

The Joshua Tree Tack List 2017:

Dude 1:
1. Where Grand Streets Have No Name
2. With or Without Dudes
3. I Still Haven't Found Dudes I'm looking For
4. Bullet The Grand Sky
5. Running Up Grand Hill

Dude 2:
6. Red Hill Whining Clown
7. In Grand Country
8. Bitch Through Grand Wires
9. One Grand Dude
10. Exit, Bitch!
11. Mothers of the Grand Dudes

Can't wait to hear it all.

I really liked xxx. Haven't heard lamar before but the u2 credit had me check out a few of his other songs... pretty good. But xxx was the one that grabbed me, and not just because of U2.
Does anyone know if the other three had a part to play in the 'U2' segment? And if they didn't, why not a credit just for bono and not u2?

Some people definitely won't know all the songs from dude 2.
They'll know most of dude 1, cause you have heard 3 of those grand songs on the radio for 3 decades, but the songs on dude 2 are less popular to the casual fan, though definitely nt any less grand.

The Joshua Tree Tack List 2017:

Dude 1:
1. Where Grand Streets Have No Name
2. With or Without Dudes
3. I Still Haven't Found Dudes I'm looking For
4. Bullet The Grand Sky
5. Running Up Grand Hill

Dude 2:
6. Red Hill Whining Clown
7. In Grand Country
8. Bitch Through Grand Wires
9. One Grand Dude
10. Exit, Bitch!
11. Mothers of the Grand Dudes

Can't wait to hear it all.

They better play Luminous Bitches (Hold on to Dudes) as well.

But do they remember it? I think you're giving the casual stadium show fan too much credit.

If not off the top of their heads, it will come back to them. Also, like others have said, if it's performed well throughout, it won't be a problem. I know it's not the best comparison, but I've seen my local tribute band Joshua Tree in Boston play One Tree Hill and it always goes down just fine. In fact, more people than I expect always enjoy it and sing along. I could never see Exit not drawing people in. Mothers of the disappeared is a bit long and meandering but is a fantastic song and I'm sure Bono will have a short story before it to make people pay attention.

At any rate, those who lose focus can easily be brought back by having Bono repeat the "oh, oh, oh, oh.." lines of Mothers and getting the crowd to call back to him at the end. That goes a few rounds, Larry winds up Pride and the whole stadium erupts. Then go into BD before the encore break.

I think of it this way - Carole King's Tapestry sold almost identical numbers to the Joshua Tree, albeit over 16 more years. If she played a Tapestry show - I can guarantee that even if people didn't know all the words to a few of the lesser known songs, they would remember listening to them and get lost in them again. That and they would listen to the album a few times before the show to re familiarise.

This is so far beyond a non-issue I can't understand how it is still being discussed.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom