SOE 18: New Tour, New Despair...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fine, what was the 1991 equivalent to One Republic? U2 were not inspired by whoever that was. Someone's gotta hip U2 to some good new artists. It's not their fault they're out of the loop. They're in their 50s and it happens. I used to be with it but then it changed...someone's got to pass them "it."

U2 are now Grandpa Simpson. "I used to be with 'it', but then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm with isn't 'it', and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you."

Well, i mean they weren't looking to shiny pop band - "hit makers".

They are now sounding like they are wanting a more organic, raw, tough edge to the songs, so I would hope they would look to those that can bring that out for them. Lillywhite i suppose isn't a bad choice. I still think Jolyon Thomas was a great choice by them early on in the SOE process.

Oh, I knew what you meant. Just yanking your chain a bit and being more obvious than I had to be. ;)

And agreed that the approach will be interesting for what they might be trying to do this spring, based on the 'rehearsals' thing and all.

fine, what was the 1991 equivalent to One Republic? U2 were not inspired by whoever that was.

:scratch: Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, perhaps?

Someone's gotta hip U2 to some good new artists. It's not their fault they're out of the loop. They're in their 50s and it happens. I used to be with it but then it changed...someone's got to pass them "it."

If they want to chase pop hits, Max Martin :applaud:

Compared to, say, the Max Martins or the Dr. Lukes of the world, I don't think having the band work with Tedder is/was actually all that out of the ordinary. Both sides have always had a bit of their feet in the pop-rock world, use lots of I–V–vi–IV progressions in their work, and so on. If they wanted to go directly to the pure 'modern pop' route, I'm pretty sure we would have seen a will.i.am collaboration come about way back when.

Even then, I sort of remember when it was announced that Danger Mouse was producing some material with the band, and even a few people on here weren't quite warm to the notion of that. Until they heard Sleep Like a Baby Tonight and the final version of The Troubles, then all of a sudden the "Danger Mouse 2013 album" became the "early NLOTH" album in these parts! :lol:

JSmbNkR.png

"It'll happen to U2!!"

MyA8is5.jpg

"No way, man! We're going to keep on rocking forever!"

Someone's gotta tell U2 to be themselves. They were never really hip or alternate at any point in their career and its not gonna magically happen now by way of association with various producers and DJ's.

By "hip U2 to good new artists" I mean introduce them to those bands.

Ok. So i took a little stroll down memory lane yesterday and was watching some zootv era youtube clips, with interviews, specials, etc...

It was really something. This band is incredibly strange in it's progression. So during the rolling stone interview, Bono talks about using instinct first and intellect second.

That really worked for them for a long time. But now it seems when they went back to "songwriting" and being able to play the songs acoustically type of thing, it seems that it's almost backward from that view.

Then he says... I'm not so sure we are a rock n roll band anymore. I'm not sure what it is we've turned into, but whatever it is, it has to be able to take on anything it wants to.

I mean, this was the band that had JUST delved completely into the roots of rock n' roll, blues, etc.. just a few years earlier. Pretty crazy.

Obviously shedding the straight rock thing worked for them well for a while as well (AB, Zooropa). If they had continued down that road, even after taking their licks with POP, would they have gone on for further critical greatness, or would they have burned out? I don't know. I mean going back to the basics on ATYCLB brought them a whole newfound popularity. But it also seemed to bring a blandness through the 2000's, that they have yet to fully break from.

Either way, i do miss that swagger that they had at the time.

I think about that cool "SOE being born" clip that Adam shared probably nearly a year ago now. The sound there gave me some real hope as to a different, tougher direction. It's really difficult to know what we are going to get. I'm always hopeful and eager to see what happens.

Last edited:
SOE released after the JT Shows, SOE shows later in the year.

EU/US getting even more shows a third time in a row before ROW get any would be highly unlikely.

Nothing outlandish here.

I'd take a stab at SOE shows with 2-3 more JT songs in the set, and not the full number of SOE songs that shows later in the tour will have.

U2songs is the most reliable fansite when it comes to rumors. It's the old u2wanderer.org team.

They also hinted at the RHMT single before it was known. Good sources.

YES.

But there is no way that U2 will ever do the Popmart-failure again.
U2 doesn't like risks. That's why it takes them years and years to release new work. But to move forward you have to make mistakes/failures !
We've only got two (not very experimental) albums this decade so far and they've been on the studio for years. The band had lost its guts long time ago. Sadly....

Agree, because they are chasing something that they just won't get (or there's such a small chance, the odds are heavily stacked against them). They want ONE MORE HIT.

I'm not gonna get hopes up about SOE. I think it'll go down the same path as any recorded music with Rick Rubin.

U2 doesn't like risks. That's why it takes them years and years to release new work. But to move forward you have to make mistakes/failures !
We've only got two (not very experimental) albums this decade so far and they've been on the studio for years. The band had lost its guts long time ago. Sadly....

One studio album this decade, dawg.

speaking of U2songs, they just wrote a terrific piece about JT demos. I wrote about it on EYKIW
http://www.u2interference.com/forum...snippets-this-is-new-stuff-amigos-220781.html

they link to a a ton of demo stuff I've not heard before, save for, like, 20 seconds .. holy shit.

U2songs are so good, they certainly know their stuff, found myself visiting them a lot more this past year or so.
nice little interview with someone from the brass band on RHMT here too.

that Joshua Tree article is really great, I'd never heard those short clips you mentioned (and forgot about "Move Out", still sounds pretty cool)

you did, however, get me pretty excited at first. given the date on that video I thought these were newly unearthed snippets, like preview clips you get on iTunes, that had been leaked from some upcoming reissue! :lol: didn't realise they were from a guy trying to sell the tapes in 1996!

Whilst awesome in theory, this just doesn't add up to me. If I&E tour dates are close to being announced (let's say, within a month or two), that would presumably involve announcing SoE as well. And i just can't see how U2 would be able to promote SoE and the Joshua Tree tour at the same time.

I mean, as some have suggested, they could use the Joshua Tree shows as a promo tour for SoE (it would actually make sense as SoE is thematically based on TJT period, and the crowd at these gigs would likely be more receptive than usual because of the emphasis on U2's most popular album). But if that were the case, wouldn't they have announced the JT tour and SoE together?

And when would the I&E shows be? If they're in the rumoured October slot, in South America, that leaves just August and September for U2 to have a summer vacation, release a single, release SoE, and do a promo tour before going back into the I&E tour. And if the shows are for early 2018, would they really be announced around now, before the JT tour has even started?

I really want this to be true, and I'm sure no one's lying... but none of this adds up.

Whilst awesome in theory, this just doesn't add up to me. If I&E tour dates are close to being announced (let's say, within a month or two), that would presumably involve announcing SoE as well. And i just can't see how U2 would be able to promote SoE and the Joshua Tree tour at the same time.

I mean, as some have suggested, they could use the Joshua Tree shows as a promo tour for SoE (it would actually make sense as SoE is thematically based on TJT period, and the crowd at these gigs would likely be more receptive than usual because of the emphasis on U2's most popular album). But if that were the case, wouldn't they have announced the JT tour and SoE together?

And when would the I&E shows be? If they're in the rumoured October slot, in South America, that leaves just August and September for U2 to have a summer vacation, release a single, release SoE, and do a promo tour before going back into the I&E tour. And if the shows are for early 2018, would they really be announced around now, before the JT tour has even started?

I really want this to be true, and I'm sure no one's lying... but none of this adds up.

A tour within a tour. Two levels. JT 2017 is U2 doing Inception on their fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom