SOE 18: New Tour, New Despair...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to hear the U2 version and see. I don't like the middle section with the Bono vocals being cut out. But I want guitar, bass, drums....not unce unce unce

For the life of me I don't get the apeal of going to a concert where a guy just plays songs off his laptop.

I get it in a club setting, but not in a concert setting, unless everybody's just tripping balls.

Maybe I'm getting old.

Makes you wonder what the appeal is of a guy hitting a few things up the back of stage while a couple more in front of him finger some strings you can't really see and a fourth bloke shouts a bit.

I do not understand the appeal of that Kygo song. And this is coming from someone who likes catchy, dancy pop. But I don't get what everyone is talking about when they talk positively about the song.

(The melody is catchy, but overall - blerg.)

:up:

Exactly.

"elevator music" was what went through my mind when I heard it.

Makes you wonder what the appeal is of a guy hitting a few things up the back of stage while a couple more in front of him finger some strings you can't really see and a fourth bloke shouts a bit.
I really don't see the comparison at all between somebody who's playing live vs somebody who's queuing up songs on a laptop. I don't think many people would go to MSG to see Bono playing U2 studio cuts over the PA.

Obviously many love... so good on them. I'm not trying to shit on them, I just don't get it in a stadium setting.

I really don't see the comparison at all between somebody who's playing live vs somebody who's queuing up songs on a laptop. I don't think many people would go to MSG to see Bono playing U2 studio cuts over the PA.

Generally I agree. But good songwriting is what wins out in the end. For example Depeche Mode are an incredible live band and yet they stand there mostly playing keyboards.

I do not understand the appeal of that Kygo song. And this is coming from someone who likes catchy, dancy pop. But I don't get what everyone is talking about when they talk positively about the song.

(The melody is catchy, but overall - blerg.)
I think the band is on to something with that chorus--it's more than a little infectious, IMO. But yeah, overall I'm inclined to agree. The verses just seem to meander a bit, and no matter how often I listen to the tune, I keep expecting/ hoping for that chorus to kick in sooner than it does :v

I really don't see the comparison at all between somebody who's playing live vs somebody who's queuing up songs on a laptop.

But that's not what you do at all. It's not just some dude hitting play on a playlist he put together last week and then standing there for two hours while it pumps out tunes.

I say this as somebody who has little interest in EDM or other genres whose concerts are derided as "not playing real instruments". To suggest that the live experience is somehow lesser is just mad. If you're in seats in an arena, you can neither see a guitarist's fingerings nor what somebody at a table of samplers/laptops is triggering. Either way you're looking at a tiny ant of a person standing with an instrument.

And AndrewCowley makes a good point. From the viewer's perspective there really isn't a whole lot of difference between watching somebody play a keyboard and somebody manipulating samples. But you'll still get plenty of geezer fans of synth-heavy genres like new wave or whatever posting awful memes about "are you ready for me to hit play?"

Do we know when we're supposed to see this RHMT re-release?

I'm guessing/hoping the 9th (or that week) for the 30th anniversary. :hmm:

If another reissue of the album is due as well, maybe we'll hear about it once the single's out?

But that's not what you do at all. It's not just some dude hitting play on a playlist he put together last week and then standing there for two hours while it pumps out tunes.

I say this as somebody who has little interest in EDM or other genres whose concerts are derided as "not playing real instruments". To suggest that the live experience is somehow lesser is just mad. If you're in seats in an arena, you can neither see a guitarist's fingerings nor what somebody at a table of samplers/laptops is triggering. Either way you're looking at a tiny ant of a person standing with an instrument.

And AndrewCowley makes a good point. From the viewer's perspective there really isn't a whole lot of difference between watching somebody play a keyboard and somebody manipulating samples. But you'll still get plenty of geezer fans of synth-heavy genres like new wave or whatever posting awful memes about "are you ready for me to hit play?"

Nah, different contexts. Different perceptions. Different expectations.

If U2 are going to pull some sell-out pop moves they should at least work with pop producers that are successful (like Coldplay & Chainsmokers). If they're going to work with electronic musicians they should work with one that has artistic credibility. For some reason, they choose to do neither. Paul Oakenfold was huge and respected, but since then then they've consistently chosen second rate talent, and in the instance of Kygo, an almost-successful pop kid. I don't know why they tend to work with artists who are beneath them. They used to reach up - Eno, Dylan, Cash. Now they reach down - Will.I.Am, Ryan Tedder, Will.I.Am. It's weird. I don't particularly want them to make a blatantly commercial song that caters to 13 year olds, but if they are then they need to go all the way.

(it's interesting how when they were making the Joshua Tree they were inspired by Nick Cave, Suicide, and Neu! - see the excellent new Mojo interview)

Listening to OPN right now :up:

Both of those guys would do amazing things with U2. Fuck, imagine Hecker and Edge working on guitar sounds together :drool:

If U2 are going to pull some sell-out pop moves they should at least work with pop producers that are successful (like Coldplay & Chainsmokers). If they're going to work with electronic musicians they should work with one that has artistic credibility. For some reason, they choose to do neither. Paul Oakenfold was huge and respected, but since then then they've consistently chosen second rate talent, and in the instance of Kygo, an almost-successful pop kid. I don't know why they tend to work with artists who are beneath them. They used to reach up - Eno, Dylan, Cash. Now they reach down - Will.I.Am, Ryan Tedder, Will.I.Am. It's weird. I don't particularly want them to make a blatantly commercial song that caters to 13 year olds, but if they are then they need to go all the way.

(it's interesting how when they were making the Joshua Tree they were inspired by Nick Cave, Suicide, and Neu! - see the excellent new Mojo interview)

Well said. And with Achtung Baby, they were getting inspiration from The Stone Roses and My Bloody Valentine not One Republic...

Of course, Ryan Tedder was about 11 when that album was being created, so...

Well, i mean they weren't looking to shiny pop band - "hit makers".

They are now sounding like they are wanting a more organic, raw, tough edge to the songs, so I would hope they would look to those that can bring that out for them. Lillywhite i suppose isn't a bad choice. I still think Jolyon Thomas was a great choice by them early on in the SOE process.

Of course, Ryan Tedder was about 11 when that album was being created, so...

fine, what was the 1991 equivalent to One Republic? U2 were not inspired by whoever that was. Someone's gotta hip U2 to some good new artists. It's not their fault they're out of the loop. They're in their 50s and it happens. I used to be with it but then it changed...someone's got to pass them "it."

Bono still likes Scott Walker - I'd love to hear them go full on Bish Bosch.

I think I'm the only one a little bit nervous that the live recording comments may neuter more complex, atmospheric/electronic songs into Stand up Comedy re-writes.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Someone's gotta tell U2 to be themselves. They were never really hip or alternate at any point in their career and its not gonna magically happen now by way of association with various producers and DJ's.

I think many would disagree with you there, and say there was a movement in the 90s

I think I'm the only one a little bit nervous that the live recording comments may neuter more complex, atmospheric/electronic songs into Stand up Comedy re-writes.

Not a wild assumption. But you never know, this could actually be a good thing.

I don't know THAT much about their recording process but given the fact they tend to write the songs in the studio rather than turn up with 12 songs written, rehearsed and ready to record, perhaps a lot of it is recorded piecemeal and never actually thrashed out live in the studio as a four piece with all the extra stuff added afterwards?

I mean god knows what the songs are even like, but if they've built up quite complex/atmospheric arrangements like you said (pretty likely), then chances are all that stuff will be kept and they just want to play live to all the backing stuff on a click as they would in concert.
Means they don't scrap the arrangements, whatever they are, but the band just sound tighter on the recording.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom