SOE 18: New Tour, New Despair...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a new pic. I can't remember what it was from (something involving Gavin Friday, maybe?), but it's not new.

wow, they played 10 songs out of Pop?

Yeah, check out the opening night of Popmart. Played everything except Playboy Mansion and WUDM. DYFL and IGWSHA were dropped early on, and Miami was dropped during the 2nd North American leg. WUDM was eventually worked in as a Coda for "One", at the end of the show.

Can we assume there will be a film clip as well?

To be honest though, I don't understand are releasing a single. Tickets have sold well. Can't see the point.

I find it odd as well. Don't really see the point. Maybe a rare song that very few people know of, or no one knows of from that time, getting dug up and reworked would draw some interest. But i just don't see it happening on this one.
Time would be better spent on SOE

Great for their image that this tour sold so well and so quickly, I guess? Plus the Joshua tree sold a load of copies during all the ticket hype and charted quite highly in a few countries.

So it goes beyond those who are going to the concerts and all this means people might look more kindly on SOE when the time comes? :hmm:

Yeah, check out the opening night of Popmart. Played everything except Playboy Mansion and WUDM. DYFL and IGWSHA were dropped early on, and Miami was dropped during the 2nd North American leg. WUDM was eventually worked in as a Coda for "One", at the end of the show.

Yeah, balls o' steel they had.
I still think DYFL should have been hammered out and refined. What a great song.

That opening night of Popmart was a hot mess, but fascinating to watch. I need to watch that bootleg DVD again; it's been a while.

That opening night of Popmart was a hot mess, but fascinating to watch. I need to watch that bootleg DVD again; it's been a while.

I was there at the age 19. My 2nd U2 show after seeing them on ZooTV.

The hype in the air before they hit the stage was crazy. It really felt like a heavy weight bout was about to take place. And then intro is going on, place going crazy, and here comes a flat 'Mofo'.....

They never recovered after that. Of all songs, DYFL, IGWSHA, & Miami sounded the best that night.

I was 19 and thought it was the coolest thing ever. Opening night, biggest rock band, & the followup to Zoo TV. But it was a very hot mess.

To be honest though, I don't understand are releasing a single. Tickets have sold well. Can't see the point.

Maybe it's just force of habit, or an attempt to avoid any accusations of nostalgia - "we have a new tour, so here's some 'new' music to promote it" ?

I'm all for them going into the studio and trying to work the songs out live, and then recording those versions for an album.

On one hand it means the intrique of how a song transforms live is gone (one of my favorite aspects of U2 live is how a song can be so different than what was in the studio)

BUT, if it means there will be more Edge solos......:drool::drool::drool::drool:

Think of all the studio songs that just went to another realm because Edge added a solo. Mysterious Ways, Love is Blindness, Kite, Dirty Day, New York.....

Let's make Edge Great Again

wow, they played 10 songs out of Pop?

Only one U2 album has had every song played live, Boy, but at the moment Pop is actually the closest to being the second to achieve that. 11 of 12 were played (though never more than 10 in one show), plus the twelfth, Playboy Mansion, was snippeted. Other albums that fall one song short have not had that one unplayed song snippeted.

Obviously this stat will change come May this year.

Only one U2 album has had every song played live, Boy, but at the moment Pop is actually the closest to being the second to achieve that. 11 of 12 were played (though never more than 10 in one show), plus the twelfth, Playboy Mansion, was snippeted. Other albums that fall one song short have not had that one unplayed song snippeted.

Obviously this stat will change come May this year.

Axver, a while back I posted this to you I think. I have a Sound & Gigging Magazine from June 1997. And they talked about the Popmart production and on they had a setlist titled:

"Not in stone' Setlist April 3rd, 1997

-Pop Muzik
-Mofo
-I Will Follow
-Real Thing
-Do You Feel Loved
-Last Night On Earth
-Gone
-End of the World
-Gods Angels (Bono & Edge on B-side)
-Playboy Mansion (Band on b stage)
-Staring At The Sun (Band on b stage)
-Miami
-Bullet
-Miss Sarajevo
-Please
-Streets

-Lemon Impossible
-Discotheque (b-stage)
-Velvet Dress (Bono solo on b stage)
-With Or Without You (main stage)

-Hold Me Thrill Me
-Mysterious Ways
-One

Looks like they were shooting for 11 out 12 from Pop in the beginning! Even had Miss Sarejevo in there. The article has an actual picture of the set. Pretty cool

Ugh, I don't know why i punish myself and go read the forums at @U2. Wanted to see some feedback on the MOJO article.
Pretty much pages of people dissing The Best Thing and how embarrassing it was. And then saying they should bring in Rick Ruben now to get the raw sound, and how great Windows in the Skies was. Christ. To me that song is definite B-side material.

Anyway, makes me appreciate you guys here.

Totally agree. I've had that chorus in my head since I first heard it... it's an incredible hook, and the arrangement is actually pretty damn good for what it is.

I think the song will be great no matter the arrangement – it has a great structure and hook – but I honestly have no problem with the remix/EDM version... I hope we get an official release of it, even if it is a B-side/remix.

I just went to YouTube and somebody uploaded a high quality video at the end of last year...

Axver, a while back I posted this to you I think. I have a Sound & Gigging Magazine from June 1997. And they talked about the Popmart production and on they had a setlist titled:

"Not in stone' Setlist April 3rd, 1997

-Pop Muzik
-Mofo
-I Will Follow
-Real Thing
-Do You Feel Loved
-Last Night On Earth
-Gone
-End of the World
-Gods Angels (Bono & Edge on B-side)
-Playboy Mansion (Band on b stage)
-Staring At The Sun (Band on b stage)
-Miami
-Bullet
-Miss Sarajevo
-Please
-Streets

-Lemon Impossible
-Discotheque (b-stage)
-Velvet Dress (Bono solo on b stage)
-With Or Without You (main stage)

-Hold Me Thrill Me
-Mysterious Ways
-One

Looks like they were shooting for 11 out 12 from Pop in the beginning! Even had Miss Sarejevo in there. The article has an actual picture of the set. Pretty cool

Yep, that's pretty neat. Total of 13 new songs, and interesting how Bullet into Miss Sarajevo ended up being done some eight years later on Vertigo. And they worked on Playboy Mansion right up until the last couple of days before Popmart began.

And let's not forget they worked on it again in 2015 before IE! So Pop has come painfully close to getting 12 out of 12, despite its maligned position in the band's history.

I would laugh so hard if, at the first show in Vancouver this year, Playboy Mansion is played in the set before JT, thus letting Pop beat JT to second to have all its songs played live. (No shit this won't happen.) No matter what, though, JT will be the first album to have every song played in the same setlist - unless there's a really unusual set from May-August 1980 we don't know about (I Will Follow wasn't played until May; Shadows and Tall Trees is last known to have been played in July and could have crept into August). I would suggest, however, judging by what we know of sets from that time, that this is at best a 0.01% chance of having ever happened.

I remember reading somewhere that Paul McGuinness actually had to convince them to put Pride and ISHFWILF into the Popmart set. I think he was correct in having them do this, that setlist is a little too light on the 80's hits. Eventually they dropped POP songs and added NYD, AIWIY, SBS, the occasional Desire, and even Bad towards the end of the tour. If you're going to do stadiums, you gotta play the hits. I feel that by the time of the Mexico City shows, they had an almost perfect balance in the setlist (although a Zooropa song would've been nice). I also wish they had kept "Miami" around, it'd be nice to have a pro-shot version of that song. I'm surprised they dropped it, it was such an integral part to the show I thought.

And they worked on Playboy Mansion right up until the last couple of days before Popmart began.

And let's not forget they worked on it again in 2015 before IE! So Pop has come painfully close to getting 12 out of 12, despite its maligned position in the band's history.

I wish somebody had recorded one of those Playboy Mansion I+E soundchecks (or if they have, upload it somewhere :tsk:).

I think there's someone hoarding a bunch of IEM soundcheck recordings and drip feeding them over at one of the other forums?

There is a recording of Playboy Mansion. I thought it was on YouTube!

Or am I thinking of One Step Closer? That was another fucking odd choice.

As for Pride on Popmart, it was Bono who didn't want to include it, and he was right. He couldn't sing it for shit that tour. Easily the worst performances of that song.

I already covered this.

They're releasing it to lessen the shock of Bono's new signing of the song when it pops up in the middle of the full album performance.

It's the only reason.

There is a recording of Playboy Mansion. I thought it was on YouTube!

Or am I thinking of One Step Closer? That was another fucking odd choice.

As for Pride on Popmart, it was Bono who didn't want to include it, and he was right. He couldn't sing it for shit that tour. Easily the worst performances of that song.

One of the first clips uploaded back then was Bullet / One Step Closer in the one video. No Playboy Mansion at the time, anyway.

If anyone didn't hear OSC back then it's at 6:38 in this video. Odd, yeah.

Last edited:
Yep, that's pretty neat. Total of 13 new songs, and interesting how Bullet into Miss Sarajevo ended up being done some eight years later on Vertigo. And they worked on Playboy Mansion right up until the last couple of days before Popmart began.

I would laugh so hard if, at the first show in Vancouver this year, Playboy Mansion is played in the set before JT, thus letting Pop beat JT to second to have all its songs played live. (No shit this won't happen.) No matter what, though, JT will be the first album to have every song played in the same setlist - unless there's a really unusual set from May-August 1980 we don't know about (I Will Follow wasn't played until May; Shadows and Tall Trees is last known to have been played in July and could have crept into August). I would suggest, however, judging by what we know of sets from that time, that this is at best a 0.01% chance of having ever happened.
U2 had me at Velvet Dress on the PopMart tour! talk about a band with balls. Pop to me was/is the ultimate experience tour!!

I'm not surprised.

Bono really wanted to re-release the new version of Even Better Than The Real Thing in 2011 with the Achtung reissue. (holy shit, that was 5.5 years ago??)

Instead they released Blow Your House Down.

No, it's not a reissue, but it's a retour and it's something to try to give to radio stations. Plus I'm sure it sort of felt a little full circle for them, since Red Hill was supposed to be the first single from JT. Now it can be the last.

Pretty sure that despite some recent claims to the contrary, RHMT was meant to be the second single rather than ISHFWILF and that WOWY was always meant to be first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom