SOE 18: New Tour, New Despair...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bono' s voice RHMT 1987 version can't be topped. His voice on this original makes this song so special.
I think we get a kind of the reworked EBW-version of the song. I hope not!

Well in that case I'm excited. Bono's reworked EBW (single mix) was one of his best vocal moments in some time

Well in that case I'm excited. Bono's reworked EBW (single mix) was one of his best vocal moments in some time
Great vocals indeed, but they don't reach those on RHMT imo. I prefer the original EBW (as original as it is on SOI).

The RHMT single with new vocals is a crafty move. With most of the other JT tracks, we've been able to get used to the changes in Bono's voice as they've been performed over the years. Or with another rare track like Mothers, the vocals aren't as big and the difference from the original recording won't be as noticeable. By putting a new version of RHMT out before the tour starts, we can hear Bono's 2017 voice performing it ahead of time, so when people hear it at the show they won't be too shocked/disappointed.

But make no mistake about it: this is pre-emptive damage control, not some abirtrary novelty for the fans' benefit.

:shrug: Plenty of fans that skipped Zoo TV and beyond might still be shocked by 2017 Bono voice.

Bring on SOE though. Good to hear they're digging into it with the "album closer" Lillywhite.

You seem to be missing my point; no one is arguing against the necessity for a version in a different key. Because it's a necessity--there's no way he can do the original.

All I'm pointing out is that the only reason they are releasing this single is to familiarize people with this difference before they come to the show, diverting attention away from the truth about Bono's diminished range. If you've already heard him sing it that way you won't be so taken aback. And since the new version will sound different musically as well (the addition of the brass), all the attention won't be on Bono when people hear the recorded version, either. It's quite a savvy move.

I got your point, but was just implying that there was nothing wrong with that if there was no other reasonable alternative. I think you can have it both ways... calling it "pre-emptive damage control" is one thing, but it doesn't seem like they're grudglingly going into this thing either. Record a new version that suits the tour and Bono's voice more, give it out to fans and such who can familiarize themselves with it AND enjoy it.... I'd say you can have your cake and eat it too here.

Or they're as awful as one suspected in the first place; e.g. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight

There are exceptions, yes. :lol:

I think they'll focus on the rest of the world in 2018, and return to the U.S. in 2019.

I figure that these are now the shows they could do on the hypothetical I&E tour next year, eliminating cities that were done in 2015 and this year.

Edmonton x2
Winnipeg (maybe 2 shows)
Ottawa
Quebec City x2

Albany
Buffalo
Hartford
NYC x2
Philly
D.C. / Baltimore
Raleigh or Charlotte
Atlanta x2
Nashville or Memphis
New Orleans
San Antonio
Tulsa or OK City
Kansas City
St. Louis
Columbus
Detroit (maybe 2)
Indianapolis
Milwaukee
Omaha / Lincoln
Minneapolis x2
Salt Lake City
Portland
I still think that between Seattle and Vancouver they could do another show, probably in Seattle.
Sacramento
San Diego x2
Las Vegas x2

So there's a 30-40 show leg in there somewhere. They obviously won't do all those cities. Maybe they'll surprise me and do more shows in cities they're playing this year, like Dallas or Miami.

This Mojo article sounds like exactly what I've been hoping for. Re-rehearsing tracks to cut them live in the studio next month? Seeking clarity on mixes, and referencing the "masculine and very tough" live versions of SoI tunes as a benchmark? Hell yeah.

For ages I've loved the idea of them recording an album, then re-recording it in a more raw, live-sounding fashion. I think that'll bring out the power and aggression that seems to have been more present on stage than in the studio with the last few albums. The idea of a 2017 U2 album with clear production, that sounds like 4 musicians in a room playing powerful music rather than a "soup" of production is very exciting to me. :up:

I've also felt that The Miracle (which i love, btw) performed live falls really flat during the chorus. It doesn't happen in the studio version, I'm guessing because there are multiple layers of guitars and everything is mixed to be as heavy/impressive as possible, whereas on stage the band very much focuses on only the 4 instruments, which means any flaws can't be hidden.

But i have a feeling if they'd written/recorded Miracle in the fashion they're (hopefully) doing now, we'd have gotten a stronger chorus/arrangement of the chorus. I think this new potential method they're going for could really force them to write superior hooks, because there should be an emphasis on what the band is playing, rather than flashy production hiding anything substandard. They could get some really good stuff out of this process.

This Mojo article sounds like exactly what I've been hoping for. Re-rehearsing tracks to cut them live in the studio next month? Seeking clarity on mixes, and referencing the "masculine and very tough" live versions of SoI tunes as a benchmark? Hell yeah.

For ages I've loved the idea of them recording an album, then re-recording it in a more raw, live-sounding fashion. I think that'll bring out the power and aggression that seems to have been more present on stage than in the studio with the last few albums. The idea of a 2017 U2 album with clear production, that sounds like 4 musicians in a room playing powerful music rather than a "soup" of production is very exciting to me. :up:

I've also felt that The Miracle (which i love, btw) performed live falls really flat during the chorus. It doesn't happen in the studio version, I'm guessing because there are multiple layers of guitars and everything is mixed to be as heavy/impressive as possible, whereas on stage the band very much focuses on only the 4 instruments, which means any flaws can't be hidden.

But i have a feeling if they'd written/recorded Miracle in the fashion they're (hopefully) doing now, we'd have gotten a stronger chorus/arrangement of the chorus. I think this new potential method they're going for could really force them to write superior hooks, because there should be an emphasis on what the band is playing, rather than flashy production hiding anything substandard. They could get some really good stuff out of this process.

Everything you've said. Yes!

This rerecording business can only help the final product. Great news

Well, i'm glad to be hearing those news about 2018 tour, those new song names and rerecording RHMT.:up:

This! SOI was marred by being a produced wall of sound IMO, gave it that Coldplay kind of feel. Missed the distinctive instruments making it feel way over produced. California was a perfect example of this with all those awful synths on the album was better live. If we end up with a more honest in your face sound, I am a happy camper.

Last edited:
I'd say about half the full album shows I've seen have had the album in the second half.

I'm willing to bet this will be the same. Wait until it's getting properly dark before heading into Streets.

I've not seen a full album show before (well, I don't think so and I'm too lazy to Google set lists from my youth, Cars, Devo etc).

That said, does anyone know how close U2 has been to a full album show?

I recall a Zoo TV Inside show from Arizona that had 9 of 12... 9 of 11 if we discount Acrobat.

During their respective tours, there are examples of 10 songs being played from JT, AB and Pop. That's about as close as it gets.

And Boy. All eleven songs from Boy were played live, though given when Shadows & Tall Trees fell out of the setlist it's almost certain the most songs any individual show had from Boy is ten.

I've not seen a full album show before (well, I don't think so and I'm too lazy to Google set lists from my youth, Cars, Devo etc).

still gutted Devo never took their Hardcore tour outside the US. Would have seen that in a flash.
They played the Q+A album in full in London back in 2009, I emailed asking if it was going to be a full gig and the reply was simply "Just the album on it's own." For 30 fucking quid?! No thanks. :lol: Joshua Tree GA tickets are a bloody bargain in comparison.

interesting! :ohmy: where did you hear that? or is it from Ren's Mojo photos? I couldn't make out some of them and gave up trying to read it on this screen

This! SOI was marred by being a produced wall of sound IMO, gave it that Coldplay kind of feel. Missed the distinctive instruments making it feel way over produced. California was a perfect example of this with all those awful synths on the album was better live. If we end up with a more honest in your face sound, I am a happy camper.

I agree that Songs of Innocence had production issues... but I think it had more to do with having too many producers than anything else. Too many cooks in the kitchen, so to speak.

:up::up::up:

Very interesting. They mention the inclusion of "The Best Thing". Pairing that info with the talk about rerecording live to get a tougher feel is very interesting. Obviously we heard the shiny EDM-tinged version, which i really liked. So a straight rock one intrigues me.

Also Summer of Love being achingly beautiful and empty. I like that. If they can pull it off right, it can be their best mode sometimes.

I do get nervous that it and another song reference the refugee crisis. Bono used to be so much better at referencing something in a big, broad way that carried the spirit without specifics. I'm worried that newer Bono will be much too specific with stilted lyrics :| we shall see...

Ugh, I don't know why i punish myself and go read the forums at @U2. Wanted to see some feedback on the MOJO article.
Pretty much pages of people dissing The Best Thing and how embarrassing it was. And then saying they should bring in Rick Ruben now to get the raw sound, and how great Windows in the Skies was. Christ. To me that song is definite B-side material.

Anyway, makes me appreciate you guys here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom