SOE 18: New Tour, New Despair...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Edge in Q magazine, they started rehearsing the new songs as a four piece and realised where the weak spots were... which clicks with the rumours of rehearsals before iHeart that fell through.
Anyone know if there are scans of the article anywhere?

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app
This fits with my theory of iHeart and Dreamforce being the start of a new album promo tour, and these gigs possibly having already been booked for the new album.

thanks for these.. some highlights related to SOE:

- Confirmation that Andy Barlow and Jolyon Thomas are the primary producers, with Lillywhite joining in September '16
- Adam says (referencing ie tour) "In the first 30 minutes of the show we played what was essentially the punk rock part of our story. There was a visceral energy to that materiel. That sort of energy is rare these days and we thought we'd really like to do something with that, so that's one of the things we've been trying to capture with this record"
- Edge says they booked rehearsal space last fall to work out live arrangements"before setting them to stone" in the studio. This delayed the record

That last bullet is a very good thing, I think

Last edited:
what stands out about that Q interview more than anything else is the thing that isn't there... JT30

There's talk of a failure of the songs to come together in a live setting. There's talk of the changing political winds in the US, UK and throughout Europe and how they feel they should respond somehow. There's talk of trying to capture the "punk rock" portion of the I/E setlist on the new record (the first four songs, your Electric Co, I Will Follow... sigh... Miracle, Vertigo, et al).

But not a single mention of the Joshua Tree, it's impending 30th anniversary, or plans to tour the album in honor of said anniversary.

Another sign that this was less "let's try and fleece some extra dollars from our fans before we release the new album" and more "ah shit, we've boxed ourselves into a corner again... quick, figure something out so that we don't have to cancel these gigs"

So you're saying this is the most spontaneous U2 has been for any tour since 1983.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Another sign that this was less "let's try and fleece some extra dollars from our fans before we release the new album" and more "ah shit, we've boxed ourselves into a corner again... quick, figure something out so that we don't have to cancel these gigs"

people get way too cynical about the band sometimes, to the point where it becomes naive.

they probably don't know what the fuck is going on half the time. sure, they have goals and an idea of what they want, but they are probably still making it up as they go to a large degree, and have the luxury of pulling out when it doesn't feel right.

so to speak.

Seriously to me if they really changed their creative plans because of current events that is so depressing. u2 is supposed to be an escape from my worries. Constant. Always there.

I love u2. Howard stern. The patriots. Hamilton. And trump has put his stink on all of them in some way. So annoying to me.

I really don't want to go to this tour and hear any political stuff. I want to hear hope. And talk of the future. I want those 2 hours to be safe from twitter land. I want Bono to see what I see which is that life is getting better for people even when it appears the world is ending.

I don't believe in the no win scenario.

It always makes me smile to think that all these guys have to do in life as a job is to make new music and tour. And yet sometimes this proves to be a very difficult project to plan....

It's been mentioned again in the last week, but you do wonder what music we'd have heard over the years if there was less of a veto system in place. I guess it's the curse of having four band me,bees equal in everything.

So you're saying this is the most spontaneous U2 has been for any tour since 1983.

i'm saying they likely had these dates locked in ahead of time as part of a potential SOE tour, and had to backtrack once they knew it wasn't going to happen... and decided on JT30 either on their own or with a little help from Live Nation to avoid, once again, canceling booked gigs like they did in 2016.

Larry did some photoshoot in Dublin today:
C2TcllMWIAAxerM.jpg:large

C2Tc22FXEAA67cM.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/Gpaul1972

Call it what you will, that nostalgia is more "revelant" than anything new the band could do.

You're not relevant if you're not doing something people are interested in. People are more interested in a famous old album than a new effort. Ergo, greater relevance.

Please, try to understand before one of us dies.

I call it what it is.

Also, the "relevant" sellout rockdinoland tour ? This is a rather short tour. If U2 can't sell out these few shows, they can truly roll over and quit.

People are interested in a famous old album. No kidding. And how many of those interested in JT30 know and/or care about SOE being worked on ?
Ergo, bad comparison. People caring more about SOE than JT would be pretty much unheard of in rock.

Relevance isn't whether or not people are interested in your new work, it's whether your new work can capture the times you're writing about ( U2 reacting to Trump with new versions of Desire and Bullet and more time to write on SOE).

I wonder if Larry is like, "Alright, this spot will do"

Or just asks the photographers to shoot him walking out of his home or on his way to the grocery store.

based on what Bono said in his U2.com interview, i think that's what we're going to get.

Yeah. Sounds like he's gonna do more listening then ranting during the tour. He wants a night out about the music. Bringing people together.

U2 (Bono) knows there are alot of U2 fans that are Trump supporters and he doesn't want to rattle any cages during these shows. U2 is gonna rebuild their image this summer to get SOE release with open arms vs folded arms. And by rebuilding I mean blowing everyone away!!!

Based on that article it sounds like U2 is gonna play some new songs live!

What a political cop-out. They go from openly criticizing Trump to worrying about offending half the audience? Is Bullet just going to be played straight now? This tour is grabbing Bono by the...

Yeah. Sounds like he's gonna do more listening then ranting during the tour. He wants a night out about the music. Bringing people together.

U2 (Bono) knows there are alot of U2 fans that are Trump supporters and he doesn't want to rattle any cages during these shows. U2 is gonna rebuild their image this summer to get SOE release with open arms vs folded arms. And by rebuilding I mean blowing everyone away!!!

Based on that article it sounds like U2 is gonna play some new songs live!

oh ya?

U2 (Bono) knows there are alot of U2 fans that are Trump supporters and he doesn't want to rattle any cages during these shows.

probably not too many, i would think it's that he wouldn't want to be annoying or insufferable about stuff his audience likely already agrees with.

What a political cop-out. They go from openly criticizing Trump to worrying about offending half the audience? Is Bullet just going to be played straight now?

that's a leap.

i don't think the U2 audience are at all likely to be Trump voters, and what Bono made clear in the interview was that we need to understand why this happened -- and it was more than just Trump, Europe has it's own far right neo-fascist anti-global populist movements to deal with at present. so it's more a global concern than something specific to Red State America. of course, Trump is the most obvious symptom of this cancer, but it's more than just Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom