SOE 16: Protect This House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I couldn't care less about a new tour. After the utter shambles that was the ticket sale system in 2005 I vowed never to buy any U2 tickets ever again until it was fixed. Considering that remains broken and that the number of shows in regards to demand even went down, creating even more demand and pushing up scalper prices, I didn't attend any shows in 2009 and 2015. But I do like listening to live bootlegs and watching concert vids, so it would be nice to have something new to collect again. Although I do hope that this time tax avoiding millionaire Bono would keep his mouth shut about socalled refugees and do some singing. At least rediscover being ironically subtle again, as he was in the 90's, as opposed in brutally in your face with a sledgehammer like he is these days.

As for the new album, just release something that as a band you enjoy to make and perform. Chances are its not going to sell massively anyway, because who in this day still buys albums? I'd rather see them perform new songs that they enjoy playing then desperately trying to be hip. If the new material doesn't connect with the casual fans, just do what Thom Yorke did during a Radiohead show, say you're going to play some new material and if they don't want to hear it point to the drinks stands. A two hour setlist with some 6 to 7 new songs should still leave plenty of room greatest hits to satisfy any audience.

Woah woah-oh so-called refugee
:Bono:

Be more like Radiohead, shit, what a brilliant idea, I don't think we've ever heard that suggestion before. Have we? Let's start a new movement, make 2017 great again.
#bmlr

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

FFS does Adam want to be anymore annoying.

Sent from my SM-N910G using U2 Interference mobile app

I know right?! Post something Christmas related this early in the month? Who the fuck does he think he is? War on Christmas!

Suddenly the Dumb and Dumber concept album doesn't look too outlandish.

Be more like Radiohead, shit, what a brilliant idea, I don't think we've ever heard that suggestion before. Have we? Let's start a new movement, make 2017 great again.
#bmlr

No clue what bmlr means, but I need a "like" button for this post. :applaud:

Pre 2000 U2 were pretty damn blunt with their politics and social stances. When Bono needed to work with politicians from all sides of the aisle for his social initiatives (let's stop calling them charities, shall we?) he let up a bit and became more vague in his critiques.

Trump and the far right movements throughout the western world has brought blunt Bono back out. I hope he's back to stay.

hothouseflowers-bono-1.jpg

Blunt Bono

#bmlr

That post was a good throwback to the early 2000s. Don't mock it

Personally I couldn't care less about a new tour. After the utter shambles that was the ticket sale system in 2005 I vowed never to buy any U2 tickets ever again until it was fixed. Considering that remains broken and that the number of shows in regards to demand even went down, creating even more demand and pushing up scalper prices, I didn't attend any shows in 2009 and 2015. But I do like listening to live bootlegs and watching concert vids, so it would be nice to have something new to collect again. Although I do hope that this time tax avoiding millionaire Bono would keep his mouth shut about socalled refugees and do some singing. At least rediscover being ironically subtle again, as he was in the 90's, as opposed in brutally in your face with a sledgehammer like he is these days.

As for the new album, just release something that as a band you enjoy to make and perform. Chances are its not going to sell massively anyway, because who in this day still buys albums? I'd rather see them perform new songs that they enjoy playing then desperately trying to be hip. If the new material doesn't connect with the casual fans, just do what Thom Yorke did during a Radiohead show, say you're going to play some new material and if they don't want to hear it point to the drinks stands. A two hour setlist with some 6 to 7 new songs should still leave plenty of room greatest hits to satisfy any audience.

Good post :up:

The new album is coming in 2018. It's not their priority anymore (God knows what priority they have ?).
But..... release something else for God's sake! Is it that difficult?? Look at the releases from Rolling Stones
Early demos (polished and cleaned).
Anniversary edition for POP ( without another Popmart Mexico dvd and WITH 'A year in pop' documentary '.)
Rattle and Hum outtakes cd/dvd/blu-ray with Lovetown docu-concert (also on cd/vinyl)
Video anthology with all their videos ever made (like depeche mode did).
Another greatest hits/best of with some new songs (not my thing, but at least it's something).
Songs of Ascent (first version)
Expanded editions for ATYCLB and HTDAAB. (Including Rick Rubin sessions).

What 's the problem? You can do your holidays , sit down and release!!! Everybody happy!

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app

The new album is coming in 2018. It's not their priority anymore (God knows what priority they have ?).
But..... release something else for God's sake! Is it that difficult?? Look at the releases from Rolling Stones
Early demos (polished and cleaned).
Anniversary edition for POP ( without another Popmart Mexico dvd and WITH 'A year in pop' documentary '.)
Rattle and Hum outtakes cd/dvd/blu-ray with Lovetown docu-concert (also on cd/vinyl)
Video anthology with all their videos ever made (like depeche mode did).
Another greatest hits/best of with some new songs (not my thing, but at least it's something).
Songs of Ascent (first version)
Expanded editions for ATYCLB and HTDAAB. (Including Rick Rubin sessions).

What 's the problem? You can do your holidays , sit down and release!!! Everybody happy!

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app

It's very un-U2 to not release things we don't need to get us to open our wallets

Pre 2000 U2 were pretty damn blunt with their politics and social stances. When Bono needed to work with politicians from all sides of the aisle for his social initiatives (let's stop calling them charities, shall we?) he let up a bit and became more vague in his critiques.

Trump and the far right movements throughout the western world has brought blunt Bono back out. I hope he's back to stay.

This

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

But..... release something else for God's sake! Is it that difficult??

They don't have to do anything, it'd just be nice (not mandatory by any means) for everyone (U2 included) to know what's going on.

Seriously, why does it take YEARS for such brilliant song writers (in my opinion, right up their with The Beatles) to come up with 11 great songs?

I think they have too many people in their ear and it causes the once organic process to become a process of fits and starts, and delays.

Perhaps they've become more of a machine w/ many moving parts rather than just 4 guys and a manager just creating good music.

I don’t proclaim to be a songwriter in the same leagues of U2 or The Beatles, but I’ll throw my two cents out there anyway…

In my minimal experience of trying to write material on my own, there’s a few things I discovered. For one, songs can come up very quickly or be worked on for a long time. That might sound easy enough, but that also gives way to trying to figure things in the long run too. Does this lyrics fit? Does this need a chord arrangement? Etc. etc. Those questions go on until you more or less have a group of songs complete. Then you work on those until you’re happy with a vocal, or how the instruments sound, and so on. Then ultimately, you either go with the group you’ve worked on for (maybe) less than a year, or you see if you can dig up anything else.

A few years ago, a friend and I worked on some songs for the first time in years. Nothing too serious, but just something fun like we got to do for a bit when we were teenagers (and me being a bit more musically inclined, haha). We worked on and off of that for a few months and it came to a point where we had 12 songs that we were more or less happy with. Nothing we’d show to others, but stuff we’d know amongst ourselves and play for our own amusement. Over time though, I started playing them as a whole and started getting new questions in my head. “This part needs more work.” “This vocal isn’t as good as it can be.” “This needs another solo here and there.” And, perhaps even more telling, I was admitting to myself this or that song just wasn’t good enough. Well, maybe a lot of them weren’t that good in general, but some were standing out to me than others, lol!

So then what did I do? I worked on a few more songs that I came up with on the spot or worked on for another few months. Then I threw 3 or 4 of those into the original 12 and took out 3 or 4 that didn’t fit as well as they could have. So then there’s a new tracklisting for 12 songs that I worked on, and I think we were mostly happy about that in the end. That doesn’t count the 12+ demos we wrote on and off then just for fun, so who knows if we’d want to include those into whatever then!

Anyways… my point is that writing a song is probably a lot harder than it sounds. And even then, at the end of the day, your worst enemy is going to be yourself. If it doesn’t sound good to you, then why are you going to let others hear whatever it is and pass their judgment then? That being said, I don’t think there’s an excuse for 5+ years between NLOTH and SOI to come up with 10-12 songs you’re happy with. But yet again, maybe I’d feel different if I went on an 120+ show tour, had a family, wasn’t as spry as I was in my 20s, had options to travel or do social activism, etc. But I do sympathize with the process a bit more than I did back then. It’s not easy, and if things pull you in different directions all the time on top of the usual self-doubt that comes naturally in writing something, then I can see why things take a bit longer now. At least it’s not Chinese Democracy tinkering in any sense (yet).

Maybe things are much harder in Europe, but I’ve never had a problem getting tickets since the 360 tour. Only thing I could see getting in the way was if someone didn’t want to do GA or was set on a certain type of lower level seating. But I’m sure there’s different things for people too going on, so who knows.

So… what they did on the SOI tour then?

They don't have to do anything, it'd just be nice (not mandatory by any means) for everyone (U2 included) to know what's going on.

well i guess if there's nothing going on, there's nothing to know

holy crap! according to my source (ok U2NT on Facebook), Bono and The Edge actually met Doc Emmet Brown the other day - fasten your seatbelts folks :hyper:

Last edited:
When this SOE hits 88 threads on Interference... you're gonna see some serious shit

I don’t proclaim to be a songwriter in the same leagues of U2 or The Beatles, but I’ll throw my two cents out there anyway…

In my minimal experience of trying to write material on my own, there’s a few things I discovered. For one, songs can come up very quickly or be worked on for a long time. That might sound easy enough, but that also gives way to trying to figure things in the long run too. Does this lyrics fit? Does this need a chord arrangement? Etc. etc. Those questions go on until you more or less have a group of songs complete. Then you work on those until you’re happy with a vocal, or how the instruments sound, and so on. Then ultimately, you either go with the group you’ve worked on for (maybe) less than a year, or you see if you can dig up anything else.

A few years ago, a friend and I worked on some songs for the first time in years. Nothing too serious, but just something fun like we got to do for a bit when we were teenagers (and me being a bit more musically inclined, haha). We worked on and off of that for a few months and it came to a point where we had 12 songs that we were more or less happy with. Nothing we’d show to others, but stuff we’d know amongst ourselves and play for our own amusement. Over time though, I started playing them as a whole and started getting new questions in my head. “This part needs more work.” “This vocal isn’t as good as it can be.” “This needs another solo here and there.” And, perhaps even more telling, I was admitting to myself this or that song just wasn’t good enough. Well, maybe a lot of them weren’t that good in general, but some were standing out to me than others, lol!

So then what did I do? I worked on a few more songs that I came up with on the spot or worked on for another few months. Then I threw 3 or 4 of those into the original 12 and took out 3 or 4 that didn’t fit as well as they could have. So then there’s a new tracklisting for 12 songs that I worked on, and I think we were mostly happy about that in the end. That doesn’t count the 12+ demos we wrote on and off then just for fun, so who knows if we’d want to include those into whatever then!

Anyways… my point is that writing a song is probably a lot harder than it sounds. And even then, at the end of the day, your worst enemy is going to be yourself. If it doesn’t sound good to you, then why are you going to let others hear whatever it is and pass their judgment then? That being said, I don’t think there’s an excuse for 5+ years between NLOTH and SOI to come up with 10-12 songs you’re happy with. But yet again, maybe I’d feel different if I went on an 120+ show tour, had a family, wasn’t as spry as I was in my 20s, had options to travel or do social activism, etc. But I do sympathize with the process a bit more than I did back then. It’s not easy, and if things pull you in different directions all the time on top of the usual self-doubt that comes naturally in writing something, then I can see why things take a bit longer now. At least it’s not Chinese Democracy tinkering in any sense (yet).

Maybe things are much harder in Europe, but I’ve never had a problem getting tickets since the 360 tour. Only thing I could see getting in the way was if someone didn’t want to do GA or was set on a certain type of lower level seating. But I’m sure there’s different things for people too going on, so who knows.

So… what they did on the SOI tour then?

Thanks for your perspective. I know that sometimes the process can be tricky and become lengthy but it gets frustrating when B-Man says they're doing a quick follow up and then nothing happens.

Thanks for your perspective. I know that sometimes the process can be tricky and become lengthy but it gets frustrating when B-Man says they're doing a quick follow up and then nothing happens.

Glad to do so. Yeah, I agree that the comments certainly don't help the process, in particular the talk of SOA when there was never a firm idea on when or if it was coming out. So the frustration as a fan is understandable. But in some ways, it's going to be hard to avoid that sort of thing either way when you're as big as they are. If Bono goes on Letterman and he's vague about new material before SOI, then he gets criticized anyway. If he's excited about something and uses a euphemism or whatever (ie, "punk rock on Venus"), then fans ridicule that for years on end if it doesn't sound tough enough. And so on.

I wouldn't defend every comment about it that he or any other band member has given, but I guess my point was that I do sympathize a bit with the writing process itself a bit more than I did way back when. I think 5 years between releases is still kind of insane. But I can see where Edge might tinker until the last minute with something now or whatever else... one's always going to be their harshest critic, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom