SOE 16: Protect This House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was here

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

I posted exactly this in the tours thread, but I thought it might be relevant here as well. Plus, this thread is one of the few somewhat active threads that actually discusses U2, so here ya go. Somehow I ended up on this thread, and they seem pretty sure that U2 will be headlining one night of Bonnaroo.

http://inforoo.com/thread/35291/2017-headliner-thread-unforgettable-dumpster?page=284

The other rumored headliners are the Red Hot Chili Peppers and The Weekend. In the case of RHCP, they have a break in their tour schedule which lines up perfectly with the Bonnaroo dates ( June 8-11). Also despite the Peppers having a pretty thorough tour schedule, there is no Nashville date, which is about an hour from the Bonnaroo site.

The Weekend's last scheduled show is June 9th in Cincinnati, after which he could easily slide down to Bonnaroo for the last night. He also has no other shows in the Nashville area.

It's pretty likely that those 2 acts are going to be at the festival, which lends credibility to the rumors that U2 are also going to be there. Last year the lineup wasn't announced mid January, so I'd expect the same this year. Hopefully this means they will announce other tour dates around that time

It was about this day 2 years ago that the 2015 tour dates were announced, yeah?
I don't see it happening for 2017 dates until maybe Feb as no one will have the spare cash!

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app

I don't think that spare cash influences U2's tour announcement decisions... "The album isn't ready yet" seems like a better reason, but same outcome.

It's been real quiet now for a while. My opinion is that they're in the studio doing their last push to finish the album before the holiday.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's been real quiet now for a while. My opinion is that they're in the studio doing their last push to finish the album before the holiday.

I tend to agree with this statement. However, keep in mind there have been other recent times where they have gone dark and we were soooo sure that something was imminent...and poof, nothing.

It was about this day 2 years ago that the 2015 tour dates were announced, yeah?
I don't see it happening for 2017 dates until maybe Feb as no one will have the spare cash!

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app

If its not going to sell out in half an hour because of that then U2 shows will still sell out eventually. If only because by then all the tickets would have been bought by scalpers.

Yeah, Adam did say they were going to work up until christmas.

Lack of social media activity or news about Bono around the world by himself s pretty promising, so they likely are hard at work.

Only negative sign for me was Lillywhite suggesting summer (after Adam projected March/April), so I could easily see the delays snowballing and creating yet another 5 year gap.

My prediction is the next we'll hear from the band will be either this month or (more likely) January when they say there's still work to be done.

But hey, maybe I'll be wrong and they will indeed finish primary recording by christmas. I think it'll bode well if they're silent in Jan/Feb.

Yeah, Adam did say they were going to work up until christmas.

Lack of social media activity or news about Bono around the world by himself s pretty promising, so they likely are hard at work.

Only negative sign for me was Lillywhite suggesting summer (after Adam projected March/April), so I could easily see the delays snowballing and creating yet another 5 year gap.

My prediction is the next we'll hear from the band will be either this month or (more likely) January when they say there's still work to be done.

But hey, maybe I'll be wrong and they will indeed finish primary recording by christmas. I think it'll bode well if they're silent in Jan/Feb.

I don't think so. I can't see them doing the surprise release thing again. I think it'll be more of a traditional release.

If that is the case, then silence in January/February would be bad. For NLOTH, we started getting stories about the band's last recording days before Xmas and statements from the band about "Our fastest song ever (boots)"

I just can't see a summer release, not for I/E tour. If it goes to summer, then they would be best to rename the tour to something else. Not that the general public would give a shit about what the tour is called, they just want the HITS anyway.

I've been wanting a release every day since the tour ended. Wish they got their shit together, but I'm not surprised at all.

I don't think so. I can't see them doing the surprise release thing again. I think it'll be more of a traditional release.

If that is the case, then silence in January/February would be bad. For NLOTH, we started getting stories about the band's last recording days before Xmas and statements from the band about "Our fastest song ever (boots)"

I just can't see a summer release, not for I/E tour. If it goes to summer, then they would be best to rename the tour to something else. Not that the general public would give a shit about what the tour is called, they just want the HITS anyway.

Oh no, i wasn't suggesting a surprise release. Rumours we heard this time round (i.e. for the planned autumn 2016 release) were of a traditional, 'low key' release - makes sense to distance themselves from the SoI/Apple drama etc.

I think I agree though, if we do get an album in March/April, then we'll get it announced around now or January (I guess silence into next year probably doesn't bode any better than outright confirming another delay).

But after Lillywhite's comments (and my general pessimism), I just think late summer/autumn/beyond is more likely. And yeah, I can definitely see the name and concept of Innocence & Experience going out the window, both for the next album and the tour.

Seriously, why does it take YEARS for such brilliant song writers (in my opinion, right up their with The Beatles) to come up with 11 great songs?

I think they have too many people in their ear and it causes the once organic process to become a process of fits and starts, and delays.

Perhaps they've become more of a machine w/ many moving parts rather than just 4 guys and a manager just creating good music.

Is it possible they could announce tour dates before an album (but still have the album come out before the tour actually starts up again)?

In the last four years I have the following tally:

U2: 0 shows
Coldplay: 2 shows

I live in New Zealand. Good luck selling out Mt Smart Stadium twice guys
Yeah but Coldplays output quality has gone through the floor so it's a moot point.

Maybe what he means is that Coldplay have visited New Zealand twice in 4 years (2012 and 2016) and U2 have not been since 2010, and are likely to not make it there until 2018. However, when U2 do return to NZ, they'll have no problem selling tickets.

Their live shows are still better than the U2 ones I haven't seen, on account of their lack of existence.

Also at least they have an output.....
I don't really want to get into a Coldplay argument but they're nowhere near U2s level. They're poor understudies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom