SOE 16: Protect This House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I predict a double album and a farewell tour in 2017, then a comeback album and tour in 2022.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Alright, let's do something different. Been a few months since the last time...

PREDICTIONS 2017

Not so bold predictions:
- the band will tour again, starting in the summer
- the next album will be released, but not before late fall 2017
- we'll get a standalone U2 song as part of a film soundtrack in advance of the album

Bold predictions
- when the tour resumes, they will dedicate shows to playing The Joshua Tree, in full. They will do it in celebration of the album's 30th anniversary. Yes, they will play Red Hill Mining Town, albeit in a new, more singable arrangement.
- the band will play Bonnaroo. Their set will be The Joshua Tree live
- The new album will be called SOE, but will be produced primarily by Steve Lillywhite. We'll learn that they scrapped much of the Jolyon Thomas/Andy Barlow stuff. There will be no Apple tie-in, in terms of a whizz-bang new album format

EDIT: to clarifiy prediction - tour restarts before album release

Yep.

I wonder if The Best Thing survived? I really wonder what made them get cold feet this autumn.

In the past it's been because they didn't have 'the big music', they hadn't crafted the 'hits' yet. But they seemed to have had that with The Best Thing.

With someone like Lillywhite coming in with a more hands-on role (seems he's moved from mastering to having a hand in studio sessions), maybe it'll become more of a rock song rather than dance based. Though it seems like a perfect tune right now, I could imagine it wouldn't do as well if it became a "The Miracle' style song.

Maybe TBT is fine, but the rest of the album is changing/brought up to the same style or hit potential.

Regardless of when the album comes out (if it even does), I'd love to know what's going on in their heads at the moment.

Alright, let's do something different. Been a few months since the last time...

PREDICTIONS 2017

Not so bold predictions:
- the band will tour again, starting in the summer
- the next album will be released, but not before late fall 2017
- we'll get a standalone U2 song as part of a film soundtrack in advance of the album

Bold predictions
- when the tour resumes, they will dedicate shows to playing The Joshua Tree, in full. They will do it in celebration of the album's 30th anniversary. Yes, they will play Red Hill Mining Town, albeit in a new, more singable arrangement.
- the band will play Bonnaroo. Their set will be The Joshua Tree live
- The new album will be called SOE, but will be produced primarily by Steve Lillywhite. We'll learn that they scrapped much of the Jolyon Thomas/Andy Barlow stuff. There will be no Apple tie-in, in terms of a whizz-bang new album format

EDIT: to clarifiy prediction - tour restarts before album release

Not so bold prediction: not one of your predictions comes true.

No point in releasing the album after the startup of the next leg.

No way they play the album all the way through.

I was just thinking about that song this morning. I had kind of forgotten about it- haven't listened to it in probably a couple months now. I sure hope it survives in some form.

It's such an inherently catchy, feel good song. It has 'it'. When i first heard it, I felt like it would do well. Regardless of whether it's good or bad, whether i liked it or not, i felt it had that 'spark' that would make it a good single. And tbh that's rare to say for most of the songs on the last couple of u2's albums imo.

Perhaps the original mix just wasn't that great. The mix we heard the most of, and in clearest quality, was the Kygo remix. The original tune might've been far different in style, lacked the same potential, and maybe the only way to fix it was to go 'full kygo' and make the band mix more like the remix. Maybe they were unwilling to do that, so they dropped it in favour of working on something new.

I predict Bono will still be wearing the same clothes he is wearing now into January. And Adam will be at an art museum.

On a side note:

I watched U2 Live From Paris (Joshua Tree era DVD) for the 1st time this weekend.

:ohmy:

U2 is still a great live band but man they sounded great back then (so much more passion for the JT songs).

I know folks are trying to stay positive around here, and it's appreciated.

But really, never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine back in '92 (when I first became a fan) that this band would become so frustrating to follow with the root cause being their collective self confidence going down the crapper.

I'm sure I'll still enjoy their next album, even if it comes out in 2020 (which wouldn't surprise me at all) and I'll still enjoy their concerts, but looking back after the band finally hangs it up, it's going to be hard to get the taste of the last 10 years out of my mouth.

And it's really on them. The constant talk of relevance, wanting that SONG that takes off.

But then their actions don't match what they say every album cycle. They want to record faster, put out more music, find innovative ways to experience music.

None of that has ever happened. Instead we get art photos, and rumors of them being ready to go, only to get cold feet.

back when you became a fan (for me real fandom began in '92/93 as well) did you think they'd still be making music in 2016?

i didn't.

back when you became a fan (for me real fandom began in '92/93 as well) did you think they'd still be making music in 2016?

i didn't.

I don't know that I envisioned it either way. I'm sure I was probably naive and thought they would.

At this point, I just wish they enjoyed making music and getting it out there with less fanfare. My hunch is that they have had some brilliant ideas that have gone to waste because some pop artist that they're now friends with said "OMG I don't really get this song".

Bono has become the guy who's 24 and still showing up at high school parties trying to pick up girls.

i didn't.

This.

So many bands have come and gone (even bands from the 90's/00's). Many fans of other bands would kill for a new album or even a tour.

U2 fans get to still get excited for both this late in U2's career.

i didn't.

I became a fan back in 1995 at age 13. Back then, in my young mind, it seemed inconceivable that u2 would be around after 2000. The fact that Pop and Popmart were relative failures really made that seem even more likely. Plus I was so young, and it seemed unlikely that a band could possibly continue past the age of 40.

We really are lucky in many respects. The fact that we're talking about a new album/tour at all is pretty amazing. But ever since about 2010-11, with the whole SOA debacle, this has been an extremely frustrating band to follow. The fact that GOYB and NLOTH flopped really scared this band, and now they are basically paralyzed with fear and won't do anything.

I just wish they'd have done the 2015-16 tour for SOI, and then started the cycle all over again.

I don't honestly know if i even care anymore, i've been spoiled to have seen a bunch of really good shows and i have followed them long enough. There are bigger and better things in this world than following a band around and living 24/7 on a message board devoted to their "greatness". And yet, here i am? Okay - so some habits die hard. But still, the way these guys work it's amazing they ever come up with anything.

At some level i suppose it's easy to forgive them on their past merits and accept the fact that they no longer have anything to really say. Maybe that is the problem - but then Bozo goes off about all of these "big ideas", "we have 50 songs.." etc. Foolish to believe anything this guy says anymore.

I know there were some moments on SOI that were pretty good, and there were some moments they seemed to want to promote that look pretty shallow today. The last few songs were excellent, the singles were not.

I don't know what is going on anymore, i guess there is always the back catalog to keep me happy. At this point i would be happy if they re-released PoP with an uber deluxe version full of rarities and those ultra rare shades. I would buy that...because im filthy rich and i collect cool shit.

Sadly it's very unlikely that they'll acknowledge Pop at all for its anniversary. Such a pity, I love that album and tour so much!

Bono has become the guy who's 24 and still showing up at high school parties trying to pick up girls.

unnamed_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom