SOE 16: Protect This House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On an entirely different note I only just discovered the original Windmill Lane was bowled last year. And the last of Ballymun's 7 towers has come down too. Sometimes easy to lose perspective on just how long these guys have been creating incredible music, how prolific they have been, and how much the world has changed since they first assembled in the Mullen kitchen.
So yeah, they can take a few more months on this one.

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

Some might say that Bono has become the parody that MacPhisto was sending up at the time, it might work by him poking fun at himself through an even more aging MacPhisto reappearing in 2017.

Just saw a pic online of a fan with Edge at the airport, going from Dublin to London to record, apparently.

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app

I played that Boy Meets Girl song on guitar for my wife at our wedding. I honestly love that song.

I think they wrote "I Wanna Dance With Somebody", made popular by Whitney Houston. Hit makers.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The gap between this post and the last is almost as big as the gap between soi and soe!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using U2 Interference mobile app

I played that Boy Meets Girl song on guitar for my wife at our wedding. I honestly love that song.

I think they wrote "I Wanna Dance With Somebody", made popular by Whitney Houston. Hit makers.

I misread this and thought you had played Boy/Girl at your wedding and thought wow, that's an interesting if potentially marriage ending song choice :)

Alright, let's do something different. Been a few months since the last time...

PREDICTIONS 2017

Not so bold predictions:
- the band will tour again, starting in the summer
- the next album will be released, but not before late fall 2017
- we'll get a standalone U2 song as part of a film soundtrack in advance of the album

Bold predictions
- when the tour resumes, they will dedicate shows to playing The Joshua Tree, in full. They will do it in celebration of the album's 30th anniversary. Yes, they will play Red Hill Mining Town, albeit in a new, more singable arrangement.
- the band will play Bonnaroo. Their set will be The Joshua Tree live
- The new album will be called SOE, but will be produced primarily by Steve Lillywhite. We'll learn that they scrapped much of the Jolyon Thomas/Andy Barlow stuff. There will be no Apple tie-in, in terms of a whizz-bang new album format

EDIT: to clarifiy prediction - tour restarts before album release

Last edited:
I'd be alright with that scenario, honestly.

You already have the perfect opening song with "streets", and the rest of the album flows pretty well. I think having WOWY in the #3 spot might be a little soon, but it wouldn't kill the mood. And I'd love to hear something from that album in person besides the big 4!

Are we assuming the tour starts resumes before the next album comes out?

I'm OK with any scenario because what I think or hope won't influence what U2 does one bit.

Are we assuming the tour starts resumes before the next album comes out?

I'm OK with any scenario because what I think or hope won't influence what U2 does one bit.

I think the album has to come out before the tour starts.

What is the draw to have people come to a show that they possibly saw 2 + years earlier? Similar stage set up, some slight changes to the video graphics, and possibly a few new tunes that aren't even out yet?

Get the album out first, let the songs marinate and create some needed hype for the shows.

But then again, this is U2, and their decisions are often perplexing.

Alright, let's do something different. Been a few months since the last time...

PREDICTIONS 2017

Not so bold predictions:
- the next album will be released, but not before late fall 2017
- we'll get a standalone U2 song as part of a film soundtrack in advance of the album

Bold predictions
- The new album will be called SOE, but will be produced primarily by Steve Lillywhite. We'll learn that they scrapped much of the Jolyon Thomas/Andy Barlow stuff. There will be no Apple tie-in, in terms of a whizz-bang new album format

EDIT: to clarifiy prediction - tour restarts before album release

I can see most of this happening :up:

In terms of scrapped material, this may have already happened - in 2015 during the tour they worked with Thomas & Barlow, but we also heard that most of the work for the planned release this year was done in 2016, and we know Ryan Tedder worked with them a lot this year. Wouldn't be surprised if the initial 2015 sessions were too esoteric/god didn't walk in the room, so they worked with Tedder, perhaps went a little too far in the other direction and everything turned too commercial/perhaps too dancey, so now they're with Lillywhite (and perhaps some other pop producers like Tedder, Epworth) to strike a happy radio-friendly/rock medium.

The fact they're recording right now gives me the feeling they're back at square one, rather than fine tuning a largely-finished project. I imagine in April we'll get a summer prediction, in summer they'll say they're still working, and if we're lucky, it'll come out in autumn. Most of 2017 I'll just be expecting quotes from the band pushing the release date back, essentially like this year.

As for a tour before the album: as Numb1075 said, I think it's more logical to put the album first. There will have been more than a year since the tour ended, more than 2 years since an album, and - considering U2 crave relevance and have fought being a heritage act so far - an album-less tour seems unlikely to me.

If they do tour without the album, i don't think we'll get an album at all. They had all of 2016, and any work from before that, and still didn't get something out. They had 6 weeks of mastering by someone else, and still weren't happy with that. If they're doing a full-on tour again, no way in hell they'll have it together to finish and put out an album. I imagine they'd try, and we might even hear some unreleased stuff live, like with the 360 tour, but no album will happen.

If they keep waiting for the album to be ready, we might not get a tour either. A year+ gap between legs of a tour is unprecedented. U2 keeps talking about wanting to be relevant. Logic does not apply any more.

If they keep waiting for the album to be ready, we might not get a tour either. A year+ gap between legs of a tour is unprecedented. U2 keeps talking about wanting to be relevant. Logic does not apply any more.

Logic? I think logic left the building with The Cubs and Trump.

IMO no scenario is more likely than any other. We might get an album/tour next year, but it's also just as likely we'll get absolutely nothing in 2017.

Nothing makes sense to me anymore with this band. You'd think the prospect of a major world tour that would gross somewhere in the nine figures would be somewhat of a priority, and push them to get the album done.

Perhaps the date of the Columbus concert leak was SUPPOSED to be the date all the tour dates were released, and they just forgot to delete the Columbus event when plans changed and it automatically appeared when it was supposed to.

I don't really expect to hear anything until 2017, one way or another. The U2 organization will be in Christmas break in a few weeks.

Perhaps the date of the Columbus concert leak was SUPPOSED to be the date all the tour dates were released, and they just forgot to delete the Columbus event when plans changed and it automatically appeared when it was supposed to.

I don't really expect to hear anything until 2017, one way or another. The U2 organization will be in Christmas break in a few weeks.

Columbus leak was the original iE tour date, back when there was a plan for a Fall 2016 album.

When the album fell through, the tour plans were taken off the table, and the tentative holds they'd placed on all venues (including Columbus) were pulled.

In processing this change, somehow, someone fucked up, and the date was "announced." But believe me, at the time of the leak, plans for Columbus and other dates had been scrapped for a while.

Last edited:
If they were going to tour without an album, why wouldn't they have just continued the 2015 tour into 2016?

Probably what they should have done. Just release SOI and just do a full world tour in 2015-16 based on that album. It would've been fine, nice, neat and normal. Instead, they get these crazy ideas and then they can't deliver a quick follow up, which we all knew they wouldn't anyway. Now it's been so long that they kinda have to release a new album before touring again. My fear is that it's all gonna get pushed back to 2018-19.

If it gets pushed back another 12-16 months, it won't be SOE. It'll be something different.

They have about 2 months, one of which will be spent on holiday, to get a new album out for spring. If they tour in Fall2017, then they've probably got 4-5 months after Holiday. Do something like SOI, release in August/September and tour shortly after.

Anyone keep up with Lilywhite?

What about Bono's weight?

Edge's goatee?

# of guitar pics by Adam?

Probably what they should have done. Just release SOI and just do a full world tour in 2015-16 based on that album. It would've been fine, nice, neat and normal. Instead, they get these crazy ideas and then they can't deliver a quick follow up, which we all knew they wouldn't anyway. Now it's been so long that they kinda have to release a new album before touring again. My fear is that it's all gonna get pushed back to 2018-19.

And I would probably be 15-16 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom