SOE 15: Crickets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glastonbury would have been a released song if they would have headlined the featival in 2010. Instead the year delay seemed to make the song disappear

haha, beat me to it. took them five months to get this song right

U2's Facebook page posted a pic of Adam's guitar pics 50 minutes ago. At least it's a music related picture.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I was under the impression that having Zooropa completed as a full album and not the original EP idea meant U2 could submit it to their label as having fulfilled their contractual obligation to produce a certain number of LPs. And for sure, having the ZooTv tour be such a success made it easier to convince Island that despite being different for U2, it would sell as an LP. That meant they could place themselves in a position of power to initiate a new contract negotiation on their terms.

Sort of like completing your term with your cell phone provider, and having your phone paid off. :)

Sent from my fingertips.

Maybe that's what it was. I'm not trying to cheapen the idea that U2 were in a very creative place during that break in the tour, that much is obvious. Especially considering some of the songs they wrote that were left off Zooropa (Wake up dead man, If God will send his angels, HMTMKMKM, among others).

BP Fallon's book he wrote (title escapes me) also chronicles this pretty well. They were young, in the middle of their career peak and didn't want to spend a 6 month break in the tour just sipping wine on the beach. Quite admirable.

I just think that part of the reason they went with an album instead of an EP was due to business reasons. They even said in the Flanagan book they weren't sure if the were working on an album, or the beginnings of what could become an album a few years down the road. Turned out to be BOTH.

I listen to music mostly at work, on the subway, or if I'm driving.

So yea... Really don't give a turkey about a VR release.. it's just a gimmick.

As do I, but it still would be cool though. VR is something that has to be experienced first before having a solid personal opinion of it. Think of it as a music video. Videos never replaced the act of just listening to a song.

As do I, but it still would be cool though. VR is something that has to be experienced first before having a solid personal opinion of it. Think of it as a music video. Videos never replaced the act of just listening to a song.

I have Google cardboard. VR in its current form is neat, but it's still just a gimmick.

I watched From the Sky Down for the first time ever this last weekend.

Not impressed. Completely lacking of any sort of narrative cohesion. There's a good story to tell of R&H -> Hansa -> AB, but it was so disjointed that I didn't know if any point trying to be made ever hit home. I cringed any time Bono opened his mouth.

The only redeemable part was the Sick Puppy -> One bridge discovery. What a fantastic moment.

yeah that part was genuinely exciting to watch, with the clock running in the corner showing just how quickly a song can come out of nowhere.

but I have to agree it was pretty disjointed. I love reading and hearing stories behind albums/tours, especially with U2, so was pretty disappointed when I watched it a second time a few years later..

It seemed to pull in just one direction too many and I wish they'd included more interview/archive footage on the bluray or something.

Including the rehearsals for Glastonbury was a good idea to tie it all together, but I still find it funny how during the closing credits with the heroic finish, they overdub the footage of Real Thing with audio from another concert where they didn't fuck up the opening number!

On that note, does anyone know if the broadcast with the remixed audio shown after the movie on BBC One (including the 'corrected' Real Thing) was ever uploaded by anyone? All I've ever seen on Youtube etc is the recording of the live broadcast.

I have Google cardboard. VR in its current form is neat, but it's still just a gimmick.

I'm talking about real deal with Oculus Rift. I've tried both cardboard and Rift and they're absolutely nothing alike. If you can get your hands on one I'd highly recommend trying it out.

yeah that part was genuinely exciting to watch, with the clock running in the corner showing just how quickly a song can come out of nowhere.

but I have to agree it was pretty disjointed. I love reading and hearing stories behind albums/tours, especially with U2, so was pretty disappointed when I watched it a second time a few years later..

It seemed to pull in just one direction too many and I wish they'd included more interview/archive footage on the bluray or something.

Including the rehearsals for Glastonbury was a good idea to tie it all together, but I still find it funny how during the closing credits with the heroic finish, they overdub the footage of Real Thing with audio from another concert where they didn't fuck up the opening number!

On that note, does anyone know if the broadcast with the remixed audio shown after the movie on BBC One (including the 'corrected' Real Thing) was ever uploaded by anyone? All I've ever seen on Youtube etc is the recording of the live broadcast.

The thing that confuses me about films like this is that they're clearly going to have a limited audience, so why aren't the really geeky and properly for the fans? Apart from the poor narrative, they seemed to be accompanied by cameras constantly for years during the making of album through to tour and there is obviously loads of audio from the sessions. But the film didn't really show anything new and even the extras on release were really limited.

Just seems like a missed opportunity.

Anyone know where all the band is at the moment??? Are they in the same city? Working?

Sent from my SM-N910G using U2 Interference mobile app

Adam just posted another guitar pic picture on Instagram. To note, there is a second pic flipped over on the bottom with u2 on it making it different from yesterday's. Countdown of some sort or Adam just being bored and artsy?

So U2 have (or had) a song which was a kind of 'sequel' to Volcano, meant for Songs of Experience. So maybe that Glastonbury riff actually will show up again.

(More likely it's only a sequel in lyrical terms, and they just pulled that riff out for the video, but you never know!)

Adam just posted another guitar pic picture on Instagram. To note, there is a second pic flipped over on the bottom with u2 on it making it different from yesterday's. Countdown of some sort or Adam just being bored and artsy?

Good catch! I thought it was just a goofy accidental repost. This would be an interestingly subtle way to lead up to an announcement... 7 pics = 7 days to some news or nah?

Sent from my U2 iPod using U2 Interference

Good catch! I thought it was just a goofy accidental repost. This would be an interestingly subtle way to lead up to an announcement... 7 pics = 7 days to some news or nah?

Sent from my U2 iPod using U2 Interference

Nah

Anyone know where all the band is at the moment??? Are they in the same city? Working?

Sent from my SM-N910G using U2 Interference mobile app

Adam is at the museum.
Bono is at the buffet.
Edge is at the planning board meeting.
Larry is at the plastic surgeon.
Leo....whereabouts unknown. Last seen in Santiago dumpster diving for dinner.

Last edited:
obviously he's going to flip those two standard herdim picks to reveal the Nylon/West Germany side to announce a five night residency in Bonn, which the mayor will have renamed Bonno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom