SOE 15: Crickets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually like the song(very uncommon around here). It's upbeat and has a nice sound to it. However, what keeps it from really breaking out for me are the two times Bono's voice cracks (so fucking cringeworthy) and the "every sweet tooth" line.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I am genuinely glad it does something for you. There are a couple of songs on NLOTH that i keep going back to, MOS and Unknown Caller, two (imho) very "big" sounding songs with some meaning to them. In fact i will say the first four songs on that album were pretty good....i don't want to beat a dead horse so will leave it at that.

I do hope for future albums they try and go with the "big" songs or at least interesting sounds (Fez, last few songs on SOI, etc), that's where this band is at its absolute best.

When i hear about the young & "hip" producers they are using now it scares me. I might have embraced it a couple of years ago but not now. Please stop it with the 'Song for someone's' and get back to being u2 again. Nobody who listens to pop music gives a shit about you anyway, and if you keep it up, many of your core fans won't either.

I realize there are some fans who felt this way when they released Achtung Baby, the main difference here is AB was incredible, world changing music. I know there is at least one member of this band who is obsessed with a hit song, and perhaps there or more, or maybe the rest of them are just along for the ride. Who knows. But if they just made the music they are capable of and forget about syrupy lube bubbles they can make a splash on the Alt radio charts and that's really all one could ask for of a veteran band at this stage in the game. To keep pretending you are 20-something is a fools game and everyone seems to get that now....almost everyone that is.

So, not much on the album front other than a thoughtful discourse on the role of re-mix songs in a one or two disc package; if and when it is released, and how the chosen producers will make it appealing to 20 something hipsters.... and these are important issues.

My question regards the tour, or next leg of the tour.

How many months must pass before what was once thought to be a tour "leg" becomes its own tour?

Pray tell, if there is no Songs of Experience in a traditional or remix format, how does U2 quietly fade the "experience" part of the prior tour and morph it into a new tour? Or do they?

And my god, what happens to all those t-shirts with I & E emblazoned on them?

This and a gnarly, lesser of two evils election, keeps me up at night.

So, not much on the album front other than a thoughtful discourse on the role of re-mix songs in a one or two disc package; if and when it is released, and how the chosen producers will make it appealing to 20 something hipsters.... and these are important issues.

How many months must pass before what was once thought to be a tour "leg" becomes its own tour?

Pray tell, if there is no Songs of Experience in a traditional or remix format, how does U2 quietly fade the "experience" part of the prior tour and morph it into a new tour? Or do they?

They will just say how the Experience part was the audience experiencing the show or some crap. Or the first half of the show was Innocence and second half Experience.
But you do have a good point. They need to get cracking with this tour if it's going to happen.

You and Beal should throw a party, and then at that party throw a contest to see who is the life of said party.

They will just say how the Experience part was the audience experiencing the show or some crap. Or the first half of the show was Innocence and second half Experience.
But you do have a good point. They need to get cracking with this tour if it's going to happen.

If they had any intention to go forward with this tour without new music they would have done that already. They "delayed" part two because they seem committed to the theme. Everyone just take your xanax and let some logic kick in...

Ahhhh, there you go. Now off to sleep.

Given the tour was originally intended to be in pairs of innocence/experience gigs, with fans hoping for more varied setlists later dismissed as trainspotters, I wouldn't put it past them.

I can deal with the usual album delays without getting my knickers in a knot, but that kind of cop out with the tour would be a joke, and the sad thing is these days it's not exactly impossible.

All that said, I'm just hoping the tour dates follow swiftly on from the album, whenever that is.

You and Beal should throw a party, and then at that party throw a contest to see who is the life of said party.

Let's do it!!

I'm really curious what they had in mind when they initially planned on having 2 distinct shows for this tour.

There were rumours when tour rehearsals first began that a string section was performing with them - perhaps one night would feature some acoustic songs with embellishments like strings or an orchestra, and the other night would have those same tunes in straight forward 4 piece rock band arrangements?

Or, if Bono's bke accident had never happened, I wonder if they were planning (whether this was ever likely or not) to release SoE before the tour started, and spend alternate nights focusing on that or SoI.

I'm really curious what they had in mind when they initially planned on having 2 distinct shows for this tour.

There were rumours when tour rehearsals first began that a string section was performing with them - perhaps one night would feature some acoustic songs with embellishments like strings or an orchestra, and the other night would have those same tunes in straight forward 4 piece rock band arrangements?

Or, if Bono's bke accident had never happened, I wonder if they were planning (whether this was ever likely or not) to release SoE before the tour started, and spend alternate nights focusing on that or SoI.

As far as I recall SOE was always planned to be 12-18 months after SOI

There was this quote back in March from Adam:

"We're gonna finish off this second half of the album. We always said we'd do that. Now we're working on Songs Of Experience."

The wording lead some to speculate that SoI/E could've been initially proposed as a double album.

Last edited:
There's going to be a lot of happy kids in Africa who will be receiving a large shipment of SoE concert tee shirts.

They can alternate wearing them with their Golden State Warriors back to back champions T shirts.
Don't forget the hats...

patriots-19-0_5.jpg

#winkyface

This thread is so different than it was a few weeks ago. On one hand, I miss the thrill of seeing 150+ unread posts upon checking it at the end of every day. On the other hand, I don't miss the disappointment that invariably quickly followed.

This thread is so different than it was a few weeks ago. On one hand, I miss the thrill of seeing 150+ unread posts upon checking it at the end of every day. On the other hand, I don't miss the disappointment that invariably quickly followed.

preach !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom